Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004

2x10 XTR or XX on a 429

Gotta lighten up the 429, and about the only thing left that I want to do is go to the latest and greatest in drivetrains. Has anyone installed either an XX with a 26x39 crankset or the new M980 XTR 26x38 on a 429? I'm mostly curious about any gotchas with compatibility between the components and the 429. Also, if anyone has experience riding both drivetrains, what do you like/dislike about them?

mtbr member
    I went from 2x9 X.0 to 2x10 X.0 in the fall. All X.0, 2x10, 26x39 crank, 11-36 pg-1080 cassette, 1091R chain. Blue, if that matters. Close enough?

I lost a whole 0.11 lbs, but I also switched from a Fox F100 RLC to the new Talas. Weight loss wasn't really my goal, but I was hoping for a little more with amount of cash I spent.

My only complaints would be the shoe rub on my X.0 crank after only 2 rides (I had very little on my carbon RF Next after 10 months of use).

The other complaint is the X.0 front derailleur. I had a XT 3x10 FD that absolutely refused to work properly so I had to switch to the X.0. The bolt for the shifter cable is right next to the frame, making adjustments rather unpleasant.

Last edited by swinkey; 02-23-2011 at 04:41 PM.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Thanks for the info. I know that my XTR 970 derailleur is a nightmare to cinch down the cable due to frame interference. Also, does the XX front derailleur cable guide that Pivot shows on their website come from SRAM or Pivot?

I'm hoping that going from my X.0 3x9 to the XX should save more than a couple of ounces. But I shouldn't get my expectations up too much, I guess.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've been running XX for a while on my 429. I'm running the new XTR double ring front derailleur with no problems.
    The adapter comes from Pivot and can only be used on a XX derailleur. I was having some rubbing issues (look in the Pivot section for the thread) so I gave the XTR a try.
    When the Race Face 38/26 rings come out I'm going to give them a try. I don't think one tooth will make much difference but who knows. I may just go for it all and get the whole crank, the Next SL 38/26 and shave a quarter pound off.
    RIDE ON,
    Scotto

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I bought the XX last June and have been putting it throught it"s paces ever since. I absolutely love it. The shifting is precise, the q factor is amazing and the gearing is spot on.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Which Q Factor are you running?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The q factor is 156. You'll need the front der. adapter from Pivot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    I bought the XX last June and have been putting it throught it"s paces ever since. I absolutely love it. The shifting is precise, the q factor is amazing and the gearing is spot on.
    Did they finally make the system wider? I could use some extra width down there without having to run pedal axle extenders.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I don't think they did any changes to the frame. The clearance is about what one would expect from a road bike. You are limited with the 39 big ring which is plenty in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    I don't think they did any changes to the frame. The clearance is about what one would expect from a road bike. You are limited with the 39 big ring which is plenty in my opinion.
    I meant to the Q-factor. They always make the Q-factor to narrow.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I gotta a XX front derailleur and special Pivot adapter for sale? Let me know if you're interested.
    RIDE ON,
    Scotto

mtbr member
    I'm running the XTR trail kit that came installed directly from Pivot. Several snow rides with no complaints. Running the cable is a little tricky for the front derailleur but nothing impossible.

Rider and Wrench
    I have been running XTR980 shifters, Rear Der, chain and11-36T XT 10S cassette for a few months now and just recently added the 3X 980 Crankset. I decided on the 3X since it uses the same BCD of 104mm as the XTR "trail" 26X39 2X set... I got a decent deal on the 3X so it made sense and I had already seen the 26 & 39 tooth rings pop up on flebay so figured I would just keep an eye out. Plus after some fiddling with different rings I think the 38 or 39 T would force me into the 26T more often than I would like, in terms of a 2X a 24T/34T or 36T Proved to be the most versatile for me.

Overall the 980 stuff works great and while I like the XX stuff I am not a huge fan of the XX carbon crankset. If you are looking for weight savings XX might be the way to go, I remember the exact difference but I saw a comparison and XX ended up a bit lighter than a similar XTR 980 set up.
    I Just wish I could ride more!