Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    All bike, all the time

27.5 Firebird announced! Will be showing at Otter...

Wow. Been waiting for something like this: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Pivot Introduces Firebird 27.5

Headed to Otter and will be at Pivot booth soonest. I must admit I don't fully understand the rationale of 650b, 27.5 whatever you want to call it. But maybe a new Firebird will convince me
    All bike, all the time

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Problem is, most of the e-riders out there won't be able to handle that BB height; anything over 14" makes 'em dribble pee pee.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    I'd really just like to demo one on our rocky CO trails and see if all this 27.5 stuff is really just marketing hype or if there is a noticeable enough difference. I might have to test one out if they're bringing enough of these in the demo fleet this year.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Interesting, I was told they wouldn't announce anything at SOC, but rather all their new stuff is in July at some other event. I was probing for a 650b FB also. Although the current frame can run it, so maybe this isn't a big change?

Either way I want to ride one now just to see.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Will be interesting to see, but by the specs, it looks like they just tweaked the rear triangle a bit. Glad they are providing a 27.5 option, but I was really hoping to see a fully redesigned carbon bird built for 27.5 from the ground up. Will be fun to demo.

crash and burn at 45
    oh sweet dear lord. Can't wait to get out and demo one of these vs my current bird. I have been wishing for a 650b carbon 5.7 to be announced to be the perfect compliment to my current quiver of 1.

if you guys are looking for someone to "stress test" it, look me up in colorado. If it can be broken, I can do it.

wow.
    COMBA fan boy card holder #1.

Chillin the Most
    Wont be relevant to me until someone makes a 36mm /170-180mm 27.5 fork, this seems like step backward with the 26" FB being able to run 180mm forks.

mtbr member
    I don't know. A 27.5 Firebird with a 160 34 could be an amazing trail/AM bike that's still reasonably light. It's already a 66 degree head angle with the 160 on there so anything more would slack it out too much to still be great uphill, not to mention being heavier. Now as a park bike, sure it would be awesome with longer forks, but I have a dedicated DH bike for that.

Those geo numbers do lead me to believe that it's more of a slight modification to the bike than a complete re-imagining like JMW said.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

dog
    sit! stay!
    i hope they don't do anything rash like retire the 26" FB...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

650b me
    They got the wheel size right, but I was hoping for a more all-rounder. Oh well, I'm not exactly suffering on my Mach 4.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dog View Post
    i hope they don't do anything rash like retire the 26" FB...
    The 26" is here to stay, this just gives you options. Do you want 26? or 27.5? or Both on different days... Options and versatility!
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Is there anything different about it than just a wheel, headset and fork change? The BB height change makes me think its really the same bike. A 26"-fox 36-170 is the same height as a 650b- fox 34-160 the tire is only a 1/2" of diameter change. I run 2.5" tires on my firebird and I have loads of clearance, my bb sits under 14", if i changed wheels and forks seams i would get about these exact same geometry numbers.

Lightly salted
    Is it the same frame with a different rear triangle? Is the 27.5 triangle an option for the 26" bird?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

27.5 Firebird announced! Will be showing at Otter...

I think endomaniac is correct. Looking at the numbers, it appears to me to be a 'regular' firebird frame with an angleset, new fork and 27.5 wheels. But I could be wrong. It would be great for one of the pivot people to chime in and clear things up.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    To use the 27.5" wheels on a 26" FB, you needed to of course get different sized wheels/tires/fork, but also needed an angleset. Totally possible that is really all they did, and just made it into a complete package.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    http://www.pivotcycles.com/php/creat...if&h=397&w=596

http://www.pivotcycles.com/php/creat...if&h=397&w=596

To use the 27.5" wheels on a 26" FB, you needed to of course get different sized wheels/tires/fork, but also needed an angleset. Totally possible that is really all they did, and just made it into a complete package.
    Looks like the same frame to me, with less tire clearance.

mtbr member
    The Rockshox Lyrik 170mm fork fits 650B. At least a 2.3 Neo Moto at least. I know, I just got in a set of 2.3 Neo Motos, and Sun Charger Expert 650B wheels tonight for my Firebird.

mtbr member
    I am mounting up 2.3 Neo Motos on Sun Ringle Charger Expert wheels to my 26" Firebird this very moment. My BB with 26" Cedric Gracia AM tires is 13 5/8", so I am guessing my BB will come out close to what the 27.5 Firebird is. Looking at the pictures, it does not look like the rear triangle is different at all.

I will post up with more info in a while when I get finished up with my transformation, and can measure the BB height.

mtbr member
    Ok, all done. BB is now exactly 14 inches. This is with a 170mm Lyrik RC2DH(26") fork. Very close to the 14.1 inches that Pivot states for their 27.5 Firebird. They are using Nevegal tires.

That puts the BB 1/8" lower than my 26" Knolly Endorphin with the same wheels I was using on my Firebird. The Firebird was 13 5/8 with Sun Charger Pro wheels mounted with 2.35 Cedric Gracia AM tires, and the Endorphin was 14 1/8 with those wheels. I ride really rocky trails in AZ so I am just fine with the BB height. To come out with a BB 1/8" lower than the Endorphin, but with bigger wheels, does not seem all that bad to me.

Keep in mind, the 2.3 Neo Motos are not as wide as the 26" 2.35 CG AM tires I had before. The CG's are 60/55mm(outer knob/casing) and the Neo Motos are at 57.5/53. That number could change as the tire swells in the next day or two, bringing them a bit closer in width.

There is about 5mm of clearance from the tire to the fork arch, and about 4mm from the tire to the cross brace in the middle of the rear triangle. At the bottom of the chainstay there is a ton of clearance, but as it stands, there is not a lot of room for a much taller tire. Lots of room width wise at both ends. Only height comes into play at all.

Now just have to get it out on the trail. Might be able to get a short ride in tomorrow after work. I think it is going to be pretty good. The Neo Moto tires look like they will be really good for our kitty litter over hardpack trails. The knob pattern on the side looks like it will have a forgiving transition. Some tires have to be put down hard to engage the side knobs, and are sketchy until they get there. I think the Neo Moto will be very predictable, and is said to roll much faster than the Nevegal.
    Last edited by twowheelsdown2002; 04-18-2013 at 08:57 PM.

mtbr member
    A note on the 650B Sun Ringle Charger Expert wheels. I got them for $430 shipped from kakko12 on Ebay.

The rear is 10mm quick release, and also came with 12mm thru axle adapters but no 12mm rear axle or 10mm quick release skewer. No biggie, I just used my other quick release skewer. My Firebird is 10mm quick release.

The front wheel has all 3 adapters and skewer for 9mm/15mm/20mm.

Wheels came with Stans sealant, valve stems, and yellow tape installed.

They are 28 spoke wheels, and are straight pull spokes. My 26" Charger Pro wheels are only 24 spoke. I like that they have more spokes. I think they may have changed the Expert wheels, because I thought that in the past the Pro's were straight pull spokes and the Experts had J bend spokes. But these are most definitely straight pull spokes. Wheels are eyeletted as well.

The Neo Motos mounted up super easy. Did need a tire lever just a bit. Nice and snug, but not curse them out tight. As soon as I hit the air, they popped right into place with several loud snaps. Easy as any tire I have mounted. No muss, no fuss.

Nice wheels because you can run either regular or UST bead tires easily since they have the Bead Socket Technology just like a Stans Flow rim, and are exactly the same width as a Flow. Deeper cross section though, so possibly stronger than a Flow.

mtbr member
    One more note on BB height. Keep in mind that the Firebird runs quite a bit of sag. Sitting on the Firebird, my BB looks to be right around 12" when sagged. My RIP-9 has a 13.5" BB, but sagged it comes out almost identical to the Firebird as a 27.5.

I'm betting that the Firebird comes out pretty favorably compared to other 650B bikes in this regard, because many bikes only run 25% sag, but the DW link on the Firebird allows for more sag, and yet it still pedals superbly.

Unsagged BB height really does not tell the whole story.
    Last edited by twowheelsdown2002; 04-18-2013 at 09:30 PM.

All bike, all the time
    1. It's the same frameset as 26" No mods.

2. Special Pivot angled headset and 160mm fork = 66.5 head angle

3. Rear triangle not altered. Index finger clearance with Kenda Honey Badger 2.2 tires.

4. Eyeballing, does not look like hi profile tire will fit, e.g. Hans Dampf.

5. Parking lot test feels like a livelier, more flickable, versatile handling version of reg FB.

6. Midrange build scopes out at 31-32 lbs. weenie target 28 lbs.

7. No carbon on boards. Sense Chris feels riders want to push FB too hard for carb. Drat.

8. BB is 14.1 on med with Honey Badgers. See twowheelsd note on sag.

More to come Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by BikeIntelligencer View Post
    Wow. Been waiting for something like this: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Pivot Introduces Firebird 27.5

Headed to Otter and will be at Pivot booth soonest. I must admit I don't fully understand the rationale of 650b, 27.5 whatever you want to call it. But maybe a new Firebird will convince me
    All bike, all the time

dog
    sit! stay!
    so, i guess i have owned the FB 27.5 except for the headset and wheels since 2009?

i figured that they might have to tweak the rocker or the pivot, but I guess not...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    The 26" is here to stay, this just gives you options. Do you want 26? or 27.5? or Both on different days... Options and versatility!
    So what was the green thing I saw Kevin riding at SoMo?
    Because, one is never enough.

mtbr member
    I thought it was pretty funny that Pivot announced their 27.5 Firebird on the very day that my 650B wheels showed up on my doorstep.

Yet earlier Pivot had told people they did not recommend converting the Firebird to 650B. I suspect this had to do solely with the fork, because as you can see, they are using a 650B specific fork in order to avoid any liability issues. And now they are all gaga about it.

I already know my Lyrik can't bottom on the tire, so seeing that Pivot is not really doing all that much different than what I am doing, gives credence to the viability of the Firebird as a 27.5 platform, and to the conversion I am doing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast