mtbr member

2013 Mach 429 (Alu)??

Haven't heard much about this with all the buzz about the carbon edition, but is the alu version going to be updated at all for 2013, in terms of rear tire clearance issues or otherwise?

mtbr member
    I'm curious about the rear tire clearance too. Seems like a great bike otherwise.

mtbr member
    Yes - I would like to know.

Someone on this board was selling a used 2012 Aluminum and mentioned he had had it redone and indicated something about the "new" rear triangle which appeared to me like they put a bit of "dent" into the cross brace and called it fixed.

Anyone see that bike for sale on here - approximately last week?

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I enlarged the picture of the 429 that was for sale, but it wasn't clear. I thought about putting a piece of metal behind the cross brace and secure a c-clamp to it and the cross brace and dimpling the cross brace. I was hoping someone else would think of it and try it. I'm now running a MK II 2.2 with decent clearance and I have been satisfied so far. Decent traction on wet roots, above average traction on wet rocks, decent rolling resistance on hard pack and frozen trails, decent mud clearing, very good traction in soft soil. Although the volume is on the low side, it doesn't deflect too much in the rocky stuff. Continental released a bad batch of tires and I think I got a bad X-King, but this tire seems of good quality. So far a good winter tire.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Has anyone called Pivot on this issue? I did and it was a joke (see other thread started with Chris Cocalis). There was no mention about an updated rear triangle from them. Too bad it kinda ruins a great bike.

Rider down under
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoanaJones View Post
    I'm curious about the rear tire clearance too. Seems like a great bike otherwise.
    2013 Mach 429 (Alu)??-p2260398.jpg

2013 Mach 429 (Alu)??-p2260396.jpg

This is with Racing Ralphs on Cobalts on the 2013 frame. I measure it to be 5mm.
    This would have been a deal breaker for me if I new about it beforehand.
    Its crap to be disappointed with a new expensive bike.
    I really hope Chris revises it.
    Even with summer riding the I anticipate alot of small pebbles and rocks that will get caught in there and damage the paintwork.
    Personally I wouldn't try and bend the crossbrace - it might reduce the distance between the chainstays and cause sideways clearance issues.
    If that crossbrace was only a couple of centimetres higher this wouldn't be a problem but hey I'm no engineer.

change is good
    Sep 2004

2013 Mach 429 (Alu)??

I didn't have any issues with the Ralphs in the summer. I personally don't like running a large tire in the rear of my short travel FS, so my MKII serves me well in the winter. A design flaw, yes, but I consider my bike far from being ruined. I love it. If I needed a big meat on the rear I would buy a 650b with 130-140mm of travel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    2013 Mach 429 (Alu)??-mach-4.jpg

Sorry to hi-jack the thread. I don't have enough post to start one, but I thought the people on this thread might be able to help.

I saw this used Mach 4, size small for sale. Its listed as 2012, but the top tube and "Mach 4" logo looks different from pivot's website. Is the top tube different because its small or this isn't a 2012 bike.

Seller is asking $2200, the bike is a Sram x9 build with Raceface Deus XC crank. Is this a reasonable price bike? I don't see too many pivot for sale in my area, so its hard to judge. Any help is appropriated. Thx.