mtbr member

2012 pivot firebird mini dh project.

Hey guys.. Need your opinions. I have a 2012 pivot firebird frame set with a dhx air rear shock frame lying around sometime after I got myself a 29 Specialized sj fsr for my trail rides.

I'm going to build it up, 650b front, and 26 rear. I'm going to put a Manitou Dorado and step it down to 180mm travel for the front. Why the rear at 26"? Well since its going to be my "mini dh" machine, the idea of using skinny tires on the rear 650b puts me off.

What do you guys think?

dog
    sit! stay!
    curious as to why you are thinking of a 650 up front with less travel versus a 26 with more travel?
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Dog, I'm gonna run 650b with 180mm travel. Using the Manitou Dorado. Are you asking me to run a 26" with the Dorado at full 203mm travel.?

dog
    sit! stay!
    yes... just curious... wouldn't it work out close on the HTA, etc.? i am frequently wrong, though...

Proud Thunderchicken ownr
    I had a mini park bike with my '09 with a Totem coil up front an AL rocker with an RC4 out back. Unfortunately running that setup for non-park days meant climbing with the extra poundage.
    Bought a Kona Operator and sold the RC4 + AL rocker.

The Firebird was a tonne of fun on the flow trails, but kinda took a sh!t kicking on the roots and rocks. Loudest bike ever when running a 2x9 (front derailleur 'clack' and chain slap).

Still love my 'bird.
    Common sense is not so common - Voltaire
    Never underestimate your own ignorance - Me

dog
    sit! stay!
    btibben, have you tried one of those rear d's with the "clutch" (shadow + for instance)? I am running a 1X10 and a shimano Zee and my bird is now quiet as a mouse.

joezuri, hope my question didn't come across wrong, was just curious if all things being the same why you might like a bigger wheel with slightly less travel versus a smaller wheel with slightly more. my experience with 650b amounts to about 25 minutes which consisted of speeds much less than DH. so either I am wrong about my assumption that the geo would work out to be similar, or maybe there are some advantages to the 650b that you prefer.

Proud Thunderchicken ownr
    Quote Originally Posted by dog View Post
    btibben, have you tried one of those rear d's with the "clutch" (shadow + for instance)? I am running a 1X10 and a shimano Zee and my bird is now quiet as a mouse.
    I did end up buying an XO 10-speed derailleur (clutch) that I ran on my 9 sp drive train for about 4 months until I finally committed to the rest of the drive train.
    Common sense is not so common - Voltaire
    Never underestimate your own ignorance - Me

mtbr member
    Dog.. I have no idea myself. Just toying with the idea of running a dbl crown fork up front and yeah, maybe the rollover advantages of the slightly larger wheel upfront. George wise it might be close to the 26, but heck it's my spare bike I just wanna experiment with it lol