mtbr member
    Dec 2009

New question here. 2012 Mach 429 rear tires that fit?

The long and short of this situation is that I was the proud owner of a 2010 Mach 429 which ended up with a broken frame. Pivot was AWESOME and replaced my whole frame, I have to reiterate that PIVOT WAS AWESOME!!!! and replaced my whole frame.

I was running the Schwalbe Hans Dampf tire 29X2.35, and loved it. But now the new rear triangle will not take a tire of that volume. Admittedly, those are a huge volume tire but I loved it.
    I called Pivot and spoke to a a person there, I don't want to name him but he's been super cool about dealing with me, and essentially I have the latest design of rear triangle.

So, what tires actually fit in here? What you see in this pic is the Bontrager XR3 Team, which is a XC tire not particularly suited to my riding style, but it'll protect the rim while I find something better.

Post up your thoughts and what tire you're running, what kind of stuff you like to ride. Maybe we can get a good list of rubber that works for people to use later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Mach 429 rear tires that fit?-newreartriangle_small.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I was able to fit a Geax Sturdy 29x2.3 in there. It barely fits and will rub if inflated over 40psi. Reports are good wih this tire so I have high hopes and I'm glad it's a cheaper tire. It was tough to get on the flow rim though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I just installed a Ground Control 2.1, and it fits fine. I have it at about 27psi, and it is plenty for the rocky AZ trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Another update,.. The tire (Geax Sturdy 2.3) I fitted to the Stans Flow rim (at the sacrifice of a tire lever or two) expanded overnight (stretched) and in the morning would rub when the wheel turns, not hard, but enough. I have no idea what it'll take to get the tire off the rim, so instead I used an old racer trick and sanded the tread down every so slightly until the wheel would turn free. The clearance is that tight! For the first time ever I look forward to wearing the tire a little to provide some additional clearance and I'll be streeting [yes that's a noun made into a verb] (about 1.3 miles) to my closest off road today to test the final product before hitting the open train tomorrow. I have high hopes,..

I'm Slow
    All of these are on a 29" Stans Flow.
    Specialized Ground Control 29x2.1 Fits with some extra room.
    Specialized Fast Track S-Works 29x2.0 Fits with lots of extra room
    IRD Fire 29 XC 29x2.1 fits, but its really close.
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Another update,.. I rode the Geax Sturdy for about an hour and found that the tire would rub on the drive side down section of the rear triangle and sometimes on the cross member. Very disheartening to find this. I ended up mounting a Geax AKA 29X2.20 and it's probably the tightest clearance available without contacting the frame in any way.

mtbr member
    I tried a maxis ardent 2.4 on a wider rim like the flow and it rubs when fully compressed. Rolled like a boat anchor though

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm curious to see if Pivot has "fixed" this issue on the new 429 carbon. I test rode an Aluminum 429 earlier this summer and loved it, but didn't even think about tire options. I just figured I would put whatever I wanted on back and didn't think it be an issue. This would be a deal breaker for me.
    About a month ago I test rode the Santa Cruz Tallboy and really like that too, and was just about to order one. Then Pivot announced the release of the carbon 429 and I decided to hold off until I see one. I really hope it will handle a wider tire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    BikerTex -- This is a double edged sword for those of us in possession of the 2012 frames. The old frames supported the wider rubber (like my old 2010), and the newer ones don't. So, if Pivot decides to return to support for wider rubber in the alloy frames then those of us with the 2012 frames are now in a position where our frames are worth less (not worthless, but have a diminished value) because most of us care about this factor (at least that's my opinion). In the end, if Pivot decides to correct this they had better create a retro-fit that's either free or VERY VERY reasonable to get the new triangle which would accommodate wider rubber. The bike does still ride very nice, better than most but at the same time doesn't have the capability of the others in the segment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Rear tires that fit: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25, (Wore out in less than 2 months), Nevagal 2.2 (tubeless ready version is coming soon), S-Works Captain 2.2 (cut sidewall in 1st 20 minutes, traction impressive but don't use around rocks), Captain Armadillo 2.2 ( will try it tomorrow, but adds 6 oz above S-works model and Nobby Nic), Continental X-King 2.2 (traction challenged). I have tried most of the tires listed above that do not fit and confirm, they do not fit. If you like a large volume rear tire, the present triangle design is a problem. Makes we wonder about the Santa Cruz Tallboy......

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Testtech. -- yes I agree that anything larger than a 2.25 simply doesn't fit. And some tire makes even the 2.25 will not fit. The tall boy and the intense spider don't support wider rubber as far as I know, but the RIP9 supposedly supports rubber to 2.5 wide according to their documents. I haven't ridden one though and have no experience to know how that bike rides.

mtbr member
    Curious, where did your frame break? Great to hear that Pivot warrantied the entire frame... I thought I read an older post that only rear triangles were being replaced... Please share your experience... I would like to know where I should be keeping a close eye for cracks... THX!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    So,.. I was reading about the Niner R.I.P.9 RDO and I see that the bike supports tires to 2.4 width BUT the crankset cannot exceed a 2 ring and the largest ring must be 38 or smaller, or it risks contact with the frame. So I looked at the pictures of my old frame and indeed , the big ring had contacted the frame at some point,..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Mach 429 rear tires that fit?-pivotframesmall.jpg  

change is good
    Sep 2004
    The Tallboy which I previously owned supports big tires. I think I even read in a bike mag that a 2.4 Ardent will fit. Thanks all for the posts. I was starting to wig out about which tire I would run in the winter. I think I will go with the Captain control. I used the Armadillo version before and even though the knobs started ripping off after about a year of use, it was a good tire. The Armadillo casing is not very supple, but tough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've put 2.25" snake skin racing ralphs on 28mm wide rovals and they fit, but it's very close.

mtbr member
    I am perplexed that Pivot would go into production w a frame that will only clear 2.1 tire on a clear dry day.. really? I run 2.25s on the rear of my 2010 and there have been times when I get caught in a thunderstorm and had to carry my bike out because the mud/pine needles jammed in between the brace and tire due to minimal clearance... w these 2012 frames, all it will take is a bead of sweat to drop off the riders leg to create enough mud needed to jam the rear tire...

mtbr member
    Just so I understand... the 2012 rear triangle design was altered by Pivot because too many earlier model frames are cracking in the area behind the lower pivot (as shown in the OPs picture)? So Pivot essentially beefed up this area and in the process, there is less tire clearance?

From the OPs picture, it seems that one has to pull the cranks off the bike to see the area where the frames seem to be cracking, right? Such a bummer....