mtbr member
    Sep 2006

2012 firebird and ccbd coil ?

Hi guys,
    I was wondering if someone could give me some info regarding rear shocks
    that will fit the firebird. I have a '12 firebird, with the welded
    on gusset. I currently have the DHX Air, which I don't seem to be Aable to get
    optimal performance with on slow speed tech. It's also been sent in for warrenty
    for leaking seals, and it may be starting that again, not sure.

I was thinking of switching to coil, since I weigh 212 lbs. At first I was
    thinking I'd go with the recommended fox rc4, but now I'm having
    2nd thoughts. I want this to be the last shock I have to buy for this frame.
    The ccdb coil can be had for the same price, so why not go for the
    infinite adjustability tis shock offers ?

My only question I have is will I be able to fit this shock onto my frame ?
    The dimensions I got from the cc website for a 8.5 X 2.5" version are 21.8mm by 8mm.
    I have the carbon rocker. At this point I'm more concerned about being able
    to enjoy the ride in all situations than worrying about the warranty.
    Thanks, any info on other non-approved shocks that would fit a '12 frame
    would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    I have the CCDB coil fitted to my 2009 small size Firebird. I've used it with the carbon and aluminium rockers without any issues. I don't have the gusset fix though. It is a great shock on the Firebird.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have a size LG 2010 FB with the factory installed brace, and have a CCDB coil installed with the standard carbon rocker. I have had no issues but the coil does come pretty close to the brace, but no sign of contact.
    Much improved over the standard RP23 that came on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JackP42 View Post
    I have a size LG 2010 FB with the factory installed brace, and have a CCDB coil installed with the standard carbon rocker. I have had no issues but the coil does come pretty close to the brace, but no sign of contact.
    Much improved over the standard RP23 that came on it.
    Are you sure you really like it? I ask because I remember _dw saying this would not work as well as the air shock he designed the bike around. After all, the guy who designed the frame's kinematics should know better, right? Wrong.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Are you sure you really like it? I ask because I remember _dw saying this would not work as well as the air shock he designed the bike around. After all, the guy who designed the frame's kinematics should know better, right? Wrong.
    Mine was standard with the DHX Air and the CCDB is much better for AM/Trail riding. Running the same sag or up to 40% the small bump compliance was heaps better, mid stroke more supportive and I never felt the bike bottom out. The rear just soaked up everything. It felt like it dug into the surface better when climbing, traction was never an issue. I know the term gets overused, but 'plush' really is the best way to describe how the CCDB feels on the Firebird. It was like riding a big lounge chair, which was the feel I wanted with the Firebird as I had the Mach 5 and now a Liteville 301 for a more XC type of feel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979 View Post
    Mine was standard with the DHX Air and the CCDB is much better for AM/Trail riding. Running the same sag or up to 40% the small bump compliance was heaps better, mid stroke more supportive and I never felt the bike bottom out. The rear just soaked up everything. It felt like it dug into the surface better when climbing, traction was never an issue. I know the term gets overused, but 'plush' really is the best way to describe how the CCDB feels on the Firebird. It was like riding a big lounge chair, which was the feel I wanted with the Firebird as I had the Mach 5 and now a Liteville 301 for a more XC type of feel.
    Well, the Firebird is not the only _dw link bike this statement applies to. I wonder how the 5.7 would benefit from using the 'wrong' shock?

(Evil Patrick, I'm talking to YOU buddy!)
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    I think I know what I like. Maybe where I ride, how I ride, my size, or my personal preferences are different enough from DW or what Pivot targeted, though I suspect Pivot specified to DW what shock to design this bike around and not the case where DW could choose the optimum shock for this bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979 View Post
    My experience is very much the same. Better support in mid stroke (the reason I changed), better small bump compliance, better traction, bottomless, all with only a minor hit on weight. Yes you have to play with springsand shock tuning until you get the right rate to get sag where you want it and compliance through the whole stroke, but worth it in the end. I suspect easy tune capability and the lower weight of the air shock is what drives manufactures to go with route, and not what ultimately is the best. Just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have the CCDB coil on my '09 firebird with the factory installed gusset fix, and I love it too. I believe why they don't want most coil shocks on this bike is because it was designed around air cans where the spring rate ramps up as they are compressed. To compensate for that the linkage was designed so that as it goes deeper into its travel, the leverage ratio changes. As I understand, the DHX RC4 has adjustable bottom out resistance and ramp-up, and because of this it is able to more or less mimic the characteristics of an air shock at the end of its travel. This is all just based off other forums I have read and my very limited understanding of how suspension works, but I hope this helps. Also, I haven't had any harsh bottoming out since I put the DB coil on my bike, but I set the HSC fairly high. Just wanted to clarify that since it sort of sounds like I'm making an argument against the DB coil.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I think I know what I like. Maybe where I ride, how I ride, my size, or my personal preferences are different enough from DW or what Pivot targeted, though I suspect Pivot specified to DW what shock to design this bike around and not the case where DW could choose the optimum shock for this bike.
    Yup. Does anybody know if the springs on the fox rc4 and the DB are
    the same width ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz View Post
    Yup. Does anybody know if the springs on the fox rc4 and the DB are
    the same width ?
    No, the DB uses a larger ID spring than what the Fox uses. Fox also tends to use small diameter wire with less turns for a given spring rate. Makes a smaller OD and lighter spring, but will fatigue faster.
    I run a Ti coil on my DB. Ti's tend to use equal or larger wire diameter compared to a steel spring. The fit on my 2010 FB is very tight, but it does clear and there is no sign of contact after riding it for a year.
    A Fox RC4 with Fox coil on it will definitely have more clearance than a DB.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    No, the DB uses a larger ID spring than what the Fox uses. Fox also tends to use small diameter wire with less turns for a given spring rate. Makes a smaller OD and lighter spring, but will fatigue faster.
    I run a Ti coil on my DB. Ti's tend to use equal or larger wire diameter compared to a steel spring. The fit on my 2010 FB is very tight, but it does clear and there is no sign of contact after riding it for a year.
    A Fox RC4 with Fox coil on it will definitely have more clearance than a DB.
    Is there any way of knowing if it will fit on a 12 frame

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    According to this thread the CCDB is too large to fit. Seems that the stronger gussets in the 2012 -> models interferes with the Double Barrels spring.

And the link again: Pivot Firebird owners please

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauri View Post
    According to this thread the CCDB is too large to fit. Seems that the stronger gussets in the 2012 -> models interferes with the Double Barrels spring.

And the link again: Pivot Firebird owners please
    Check this out m thoughhttp://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CEsQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mbaction.com%2FMain%2FNews%2F Trail-Testing-2013-Pivot-Firebird-Project-Bike-wit-6472.aspx&ei=7dNVUcfxL4qq8ASKr4DoAQ&usg=AFQjCNG_GuHbuHYt8nsYiavXlvT5ibGKGA&bvm=bv.44442042,d.eWU

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yes, the CCDB Air fits to Firebird with the alloy rocker. I thought you were asking about CCDB Coil.

mtbr member
    I have had a CCDB coil on my 2010 'Bird for about 6 months, and so far I am loving it. I have had to play around with springs to find the sweet one, but it's worth the time.
    Always wondering about the settings other 'Bird riders use.
    Anyone want to post their CCDB tuning set ups?
    "It's our struggles that define us..."