mtbr member
    Sep 2007

2011 mach 5.7 shock propedal not working

I bought a used 2011 pivot mach 5.7 that I have been using for a month now. The rear shock propedal does not make any difference whether in propedal 1 or 3 or propedal off. There is no difference in feel when bouncing on the bike, riding, or when setting sag. Is this typical for this bike or is my shock broken. Thanks.

Pivotal figure
    The ProPedal settings on that shock are very light so if you're expecting something like a lockout feel (like the current CTD shocks) you're not going to get it. It is possible that the shock needs servicing since it is a few years old now.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks. Supposedly it was serviced shortly before I bought it. Everything else works fine. I was not expecting a lockout feel, just some more platform.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Is the suspension or shock different on the 2012 mach 5.7 vs the 2011? I have read that the tuning is slightly different.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wraydp View Post
    Is the suspension or shock different on the 2012 mach 5.7 vs the 2011? I have read that the tuning is slightly different.
    There wasn't a significant change on the RP23 between 2011 and 2012. 2013 introduced the CTD platform, and that provided more significant, or more noticeable changes between each setting.

If you don't want to spend the money on a brand new shock, you can send this shock to PUSH or a company like that, and they will tune it specifically to your weight and style of riding.

However, if you are game to buying a new shock, visit one of your local PIVOT dealers, and they can help you order a new CTD shock.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I also have a used 2011 5.7 frame and my shock behaves the same way, no noticeable differences between the propedal settings. We could both have broken shocks but my gut feeling is that the tune is just very light. In any case I don't feel the need for much propedal on this frame and don't really miss it.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithM View Post
    I also have a used 2011 5.7 frame and my shock behaves the same way, no noticeable differences between the propedal settings. We could both have broken shocks but my gut feeling is that the tune is just very light. In any case I don't feel the need for much propedal on this frame and don't really miss it.
    Great feedback Keith. This is what we share in our product presentations. The DW Link suspension design is efficient, it doesn't require the shock to "think" for you, it just needs to work.

You can test this by adjusting the red adjustment knob on the shock. Open it up, and test if the shock functions faster, close it to see if the shock functions slower. If this adjustment works, then your shock should be functioning correctly.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    Great feedback Keith. This is what we share in our product presentations. The DW Link suspension design is efficient, it doesn't require the shock to "think" for you, it just needs to work.

You can test this by adjusting the red adjustment knob on the shock. Open it up, and test if the shock functions faster, close it to see if the shock functions slower. If this adjustment works, then your shock should be functioning correctly.
    The rebound setting works great so I guess it is just a light tune. It is very efficient except for when in the small chainring. I also like to have a slightly more firm platform for long climbs. I guess I may send the shock to push. Does anyone know how long it takes?

Pivotal figure
    The turnaround at PUSH is dependent on their workload and your location (shipping to & from can add a full week unless you opt for a quicker shipping method). I've had friends who got theirs back within 2 weeks though.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude