Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3

    2011 m4 pivot bearings siezed

    Had my Mach 4 6 months and just recently it has developed a small creak during compression of the rear suspension. Found that the rearward bearings in the lower link have seized, the bike has never been near a pressure wash but has seen some muddy races. Anyone else had the same issue?
    The pivot documentation lists enduro bearings, has anyone used any different brands?

  2. #2
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,190
    The bearings come with very little grease in them because they are usually used in higher rpm applications. Doesn't take much water and dirt to mess them up. When you replace them take off one of the covers and pack them full of grease. They don't move much so it won't slow anything down.

    You can buy direct from vxb.com and they are cheaper than enduro.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    70
    I had the same problem, lucky it was covered by a 'once off' warranty.

    92gli could you provide more details about removing the bearing cover, I was told never to do that.

    Maybe also the model of the bearing you use?

    Thanks

  4. #4
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,190
    Quote Originally Posted by with_the_band
    I had the same problem, lucky it was covered by a 'once off' warranty.

    92gli could you provide more details about removing the bearing cover, I was told never to do that.

    Maybe also the model of the bearing you use?

    Thanks
    The Pivot website has a technical drawing of each frame with the bearing sizes listed.

    I didn't have to replace mine, caught them before it was too late. They were just a little gritty and a good cleaning fixed that.

    For removing the seal you just need something very small and pointy to pry the rubber seal out of the groove it sits in without damaging it. I use a dental pick. The seal has metal inside the rubber so it may bend a little, just flatten it out before you push it back on. Pack the crap out of those lower link bearings with a waterproof grease like Phil.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fat Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,661
    Same problem, ordered some SKF bearings to replace the Enduro's, but can't seem to get the OEM bearings out with "gentle" taps per the Pivot .pdf instructions. Anyone have any secrets to getting them out? I'm pushing the bearings out the left side by applying pressure to the right side in a clockwise motion as instructed... am I missing something here? Thanks

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fat Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    Same problem, ordered some SKF bearings to replace the Enduro's, but can't seem to get the OEM bearings out with "gentle" taps per the Pivot .pdf instructions. Anyone have any secrets to getting them out? I'm pushing the bearings out the left side by applying pressure to the right side in a clockwise motion as instructed... am I missing something here? Thanks

    So after posting the same thing to the FB Pivot page got an answer, use more pressure. Ended up having to use a smaller 10mm socket to help get past the support sleeve on the 25mm end, but just needed to tap with a little more force. Really wish there were a better way to do this, but whatever.

    Findings:

    Of the 8 OEM Enduro Max bearings 1 completely siezed, 2 rough, gritty and very close to being done, 5 are still in good shape. I'm going to pull the dust caps and re-grease the 7 I think should be in good shape to have some spares.

    Anyone have any experience with the SKF RS bearings? As long as I'm pulling dust caps is it smart to go ahead and do this to the new to avoid having to do this again in a few months? Any thoughts as to grease? I used to use Bullshot on all my bearings, but don't have anymore... would Chris King ring drive lube be good?

    Cheers,

  7. #7
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    ... would Chris King ring drive lube be good?

    Cheers,
    Nah, That will leak out the seals over time. You need something sticky and thick so it stays put, like Phil waterproof. Finish line also has something like that.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fat Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,661
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    Nah, That will leak out the seals over time. You need something sticky and thick so it stays put, like Phil waterproof. Finish line also has something like that.
    I've got some Phil Wood, might give that a try. I used to use "Bullshot" but can't seem to source it locally, might do some web searching for it. Thanks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •