mtbr member

2009 XT 2x9 Derailleur Rub on 2009 429

Hello,

I have a 2x9 slx crank setup with shimano plastic bashguard on my 2009 mach 429. I prefer to stay on the 36t front ring most of the time, however the chain rubs the heck out of my FD when in the larger 4 gears on my xt cassette. I cannot figure out how to tune out this rub. Does anyone have any solutions or experience with this?

Thanks

Adam

Pivotal figure
    Without seeing the bike I'd say your cable tension is too high. You should be able to set the lower limit screw so the chain doesn't rub when in the granny ring and largest cog(with the cable completely slack), then just tighten the cable there and fine tune as needed. I run the same gearing on my 'Bird with no rubbing at all.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Gangreen
    Aug 2008
    Hey Adam:
    I had the same issue on my 2 x 9 setup running the XT front derailleur. I just swapped in an SLX front derailleur designed for a 2 x 9 set-up and the problem is solved. M665 E-Type Double Front Derailleur, just unscrew the e-mount and bolt it on. $22 at Competitive Cyclist! 2010 Shimano SLX FD-M665 Front Derailleur for MTB Double - Competitive Cyclist