mtbr member

1x9/10 chain guide on Mach 4 if you are curious...

My brother recently had a new may 4 built, we both run single chain ring cranks so he was pissed when the shop told him the bottom bracket mounted Mrp we both run wouldn't fit. In fact they couldn't install the stylo 1.1 gxp and he had to buy a new xt deore crank set.
    He dismantled the Mrp and was able to fab up a mount using a piece of aluminum and some spacers.
    If anyone here needs info and/or pics pm me your email address and I'll forward it.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

Team Awesome
    Did you think about running the e13 E-Type chainguide?

I just came over here to see if anyone had used it on a Mach 4

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The Pivots use press fit BB's so e-type chainguides won't work.
    As they rely on a direct mount front derailleur, the seat tube mount chainguides won't work either.

I saw in another thread that MRP are making adapters to mount the 1X chainguide on the new style direct mount tabs, but the Pivot uses the older style direct mount (pseudo E-type front derailleur style) so not sure if there is an adapter for that.

As to the Stylo cranks - all you need is a bearing adapter for the non drive side BB bearing, and you can run Truvativ GXP cranks - your LBS should be able to get those adapters.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by playpunk
    Did you think about running the e13 E-Type chainguide?

I just came over here to see if anyone had used it on a Mach 4
    Only exists in photos. Its a phantom. A poltergeist. Urban legend.

E13 e-type chain guide - finally! (maybe)

Team Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Willy
    The Pivots use press fit BB's so e-type chainguides won't work.
    As they rely on a direct mount front derailleur, the seat tube mount chainguides won't work either.

I saw in another thread that MRP are making adapters to mount the 1X chainguide on the new style direct mount tabs, but the Pivot uses the older style direct mount (pseudo E-type front derailleur style) so not sure if there is an adapter for that.

As to the Stylo cranks - all you need is a bearing adapter for the non drive side BB bearing, and you can run Truvativ GXP cranks - your LBS should be able to get those adapters.
    Are you sure about that? I know the spec sheet calls for an e-type front derailleur, at least on the 2011.

@Whoever else replied,

I just saw the other thread on this chainguide. Vaporware makes the internet all frothy. Hopefully it'll come out someday.

mtbr member
    Its a moot point now that the LBS sold him $290 worth of XT Deore crank set up but I'll bust the tech's balls about the non-drive side adaptor next time I see him on the trails.
    I'll give benefit of the doubt and assume they just didn't know and they didn't intentionally take my brothers money on it.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

Not just famous; infamous
    Are you sure about that? I know the spec sheet calls for an e-type front derailleur, at least on the 2011.
    Pivot uses an E-type derailleur, but with the mounting plate removed. In other words, the derailleur bolts directly to the frame (similar to the direct-mount FDs), without the BB mounting plate, and the BB itself is never used to mount anything. BB mounts are a no-go on the Mach series.

I just saw the other thread on this chainguide. Vaporware makes the internet all frothy. Hopefully it'll come out someday.
    That chainguide looks like a very simple, elegant solution, and I hope they bring it out eventually. I'd like to try 1x9/10 at some point. I've seen a posting on two of a custom bolt-on Pivot chainguide mounting bracket, but it may been a one-off. You'd have to call Pivot to check.

I do what I want
    Whats even funnier is that Pivot makes an ISCG adapter that mounts around the BB shell so all the OP really needed was a new chainguide that was ISCG. Whatevs though, some people prefer the harder more $$$ way i guess.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

Not just famous; infamous
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford
    Whats even funnier is that Pivot makes an ISCG adapter that mounts around the BB shell so all the OP really needed was a new chainguide that was ISCG. Whatevs though, some people prefer the harder more $$$ way i guess.
    That's the "custom bolt-on" thingy I was referring to. Is it a production item? I thought it was only for the team's 4x bikes?

I do what I want
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluchs
    That's the "custom bolt-on" thingy I was referring to. Is it a production item? I thought it was only for the team's 4x bikes?

It is a production item according to my sources.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    It's an official item we make, and you can order it from your Pivot Dealer - check with them on the exact price, but I think it is $80.

Enjoy!
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford
    Not really. They tricked him into buying a whole new xt crank instead of them sourcing the correct BB for the cranks he already had. His existing chainguide wouldn't have worked in either case. He ended up saving some money by using the top part of the mrp guide and fabbing a bracket.

As for the pivot iscg adaptor - For those of us that just want a top guide and not a top/bottom setup with a roller it would be overkill and overweight. Not to mention that the cost of the adaptor and the chain guide setup to bolt to it would be, what?, $200?

I just want e13 to get the damn dmd mount guide made. They made a few thousand for specialized but now for some reason they can't manage to make more.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Anyone mount up an e.thirteen xcx e-type with success?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by floxy View Post
    Anyone mount up an e.thirteen xcx e-type with success?
    I'm sure it would mount perfectly fine if you could get one. Still not available through BTI. Universal doesn't have it listed so I'm assuming that QBP doesn't have them either.

They do sell the plastic guide piece by itself now for $18. You could buy that and fabricate your own mounting bracket.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=40650

mtbr member
    Haven't tried it yet, but plan on doing a 1x9 setup using a E13 LS1 guide on my mach 5. I spoke with Pivot last week and they are out of adapters, for now. More are supposed to be coming in later this summer...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    I'm sure it would mount perfectly fine if you could get one. Still not available through BTI. Universal doesn't have it listed so I'm assuming that QBP doesn't have them either.

They do sell the plastic guide piece by itself now for $18. You could buy that and fabricate your own mounting bracket.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=40650
    You can order directly from the manufacturer. I just got off the phone with them and have one in route!

Team Awesome
    does anybody actually have one of the e13 chainguides in their hot little hands? or is it still in the ether of taiwan someplace.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Not it my hands but on my bike...

Team Awesome
    Nice. I got outbid by 10, only 10 dollars on a mach 4 yesterday. I want one. Or a mach 429...

Too bad I only have a 700 dollar budget for the frame. if anyone has a large (24in tt) mach 4 or mach 429 and wants to sell it to me for that low, low price... let me know.