mtbr member
    Aug 2009

1st ride on my Mach 6....miss the coil

Hey all. Just finished my building my new Mach 6 in my garage minus the wheels and got it out into canyon today. I am switching over from an 08 RFX, with a 20mm float 160 up front with an avalanche in the rear that was rolling on ZTR's. Loved the ride. Super torsional stiffness, but man I miss the coil in back. Does anyone know the shock size? Anyone swap over to a CC or an avy? Thanks in advance.

Here's the bike:

Last edited by gdnorm; 07-28-2014 at 09:47 AM. Reason: grammar

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Call Cane Creek. They can tell you exactly with shock will fit the M6. There are some threads regarding this issue found below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Sweet. I googled 'Pivot Mach 6 shock size' but didn't come up with much. I'll take a look.

Currently muddy
    Jul 2008
    You can also check out the Cane Creek Fit Finder, which will give you all the info you need:

Cane Creek Double Barrel and DBAIR Suspension Shock Fit Finder
    You need a specific model of shock from Cane Creek with a 15mm end to accommodate the clevis on the Mach 6.

Avalanche also has an aftermarket kit for the Float X, if you want to go that route:
    Float X High/Low SSD Kit

Check the other threads in this forum, as this has been discussed here before. FWIW, I would also play around with your shock settings for a few more rides before you make an expensive decision.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    This mine whith CC DB Cs

Very good shock.

Set up from Pivot:

Main air for 30% sag: 110psi

HSC: +1

LSC: +3

HSR: +1 1/4

LSR: +8

1st ride on my Mach 6....miss the coil-mach6-detail.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gdnorm View Post
    Hey all. Just finished my building my new Mach 6 in my garage minus the wheels and got it out on corner canyon today. I am switching over from an 08 RFX, with a 20mm float 160 up front with an avalanche in the rear that was rolling on ZTR's. Loved the ride. Super torsional stiffness, but man I miss the coil in back.
    Impossible, this bike was designed specifically for an air shock and should be superior in every way. You're probably using it wrong, or something.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Being that you were riding a custom tuned coil on the Turner it is no wonder you are feeling a difference. My only question is what sag setting you are running now. I am running a little over 30% currently and find the bike very plush.

mtbr member
    Anyone swap over to a CC or an avy?
    First off enjoy the new bike...

I'm going to send my Float X to Avy at the end of the summer for a custom tune/rebuild.

I think once you have a custom tuned shock on your bike you get ruined for stock suspension in the future.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So are the CC's custom tuned or just custom eyelets? If not I think I'll be handing Avy more of my hard earned cash. I rode today after making some further adjustment and getting sag down to about 30%. It still just feels harsh. Thanks for all the POV's.
    Last edited by gdnorm; 07-28-2014 at 09:47 AM. Reason: grammar

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The CC DB Air has custom eyelets, if you get the CC Inline, they have a shock that fits the eyelets already. Inline only: 216 x 63mm (8.5” x 2.48”) BAD0944

I just installed the largest volume spacer in the X and it made a BIG difference….not blowing through the last part of travel and made it more tolerable. IDK if it's enough to make me to want to keep it or not…either Avalanche or get the Inline or DB Air

The X is not a good shock for the Mach 6 in stock form……It needs to be tweaked in some form or redone to Pivot standards…...If you notice, SC Bronsons are now being offered with the CC Inline and CC DB….Why did they drop FOX for the rear in their line up…..?

Pivot…offer these rear shocks a a build option.

New Cane Creek Double Barrel Inline Shock Brings Twin Tube Tech to Trail Bikes Everywhere!

Anyone build up a Mach 6 with a Cane Creek Double Barrel and a Rock Shox Pike?

The other option is the Rock Shox Monarch Plus…..?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Oh sorry I should have been more clear...I'm going back to coil, not the CCDB air. I appreciate the links though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    So are the CC's custom tuned or just custom eyelets? If not I think I'll be handing Avy more of my hard earned cash. I rode the bobsled in SL today after making some further adjustment and getting sag down to about 30%. It still just feels harsh. Thanks for all the POV's.
    It felt harsh, because it is, it's air suspension; that part is the opinion of the designer(s) differing with how you want it to work. Unfortunately, they are pretty clear about forbidding the use of coil shocks on this bike. CC DB Eyelets incompatible.

mtbr member
    Sending my ctd boost valve off to Avy made a huge difference on my Mach 5.7c. I thought it rode like cr@p in stock form but the Avy mod made it plusher and most importantly for me really helped it get through rock gardens and stopped it from getting hung up on repeated square edged hits. If I were to ever get a Mach 6 the Float X would be at Avy before I even rode the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    Sending my ctd boost valve off to Avy made a huge difference on my Mach 5.7c. I thought it rode like cr@p in stock form but the Avy mod made it plusher and most importantly for me really helped it get through rock gardens and stopped it from getting hung up on repeated square edged hits. If I were to ever get a Mach 6 the Float X would be at Avy before I even rode the bike.
    Exactly…I'm no shock expert, but when you spend this kind of money on a bike, you shouldn't have to send it off to get Avalanched or Pushed etc….Pivot and other companies should be having the shock companies already done this. Sorry to say this but if the Float X is the best that FOX has to offer in this form…it's a pretty lame excuse of a shock….

as mentioned above....I did put the largest volume spacer in and lowered the pressure back down 10 psi…had it 10psi above recommended due to the X being too soft. 190 psi down to 180psi w/spacer and it "made it better"…..I will ride it how it is until the end of the season and make a decision on dumping this off at AVA or get a new shock entirely. Something NOT FOX!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    BWAHAHAHAHA! Forbidden? A little over the top isn't it? Are they going to come to my house and take my bike?

Dissolved member
    BWAHAHAHAHA! Forbidden? A little over the top isn't it? Are they going to come to my house and take my bike?
    People who never rode an Avy coiler have no idea what great suspension feels like. I love my Avy DHX5 on a Mojo HD and I will never get a frame that cannot be used with Craig's suspension.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I've been over this with them before, that bit of language was carefully selected . By the way I can get the CCDB air to feel about 90% as good as my CCDB coil on my mojo HD, but that's it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I can't imagine any valid engineering argument that would dictate a specific modality for bump absorption. What was their argument? The shop where I picked the frame up (go-ride so obviously very knowledgable) said a coil shock is a great idea, and I am placing an order from avy Monday.
    Last edited by gdnorm; 07-28-2014 at 09:48 AM. Reason: grammar

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I can't imagine any valid engineering argument that would dictate a specific modality for bump absorption. What was their argument? My local shop where I picked the frame up (go-ride so obviously very knowledgable) said a coil shock is a great idea, and I am placing an order from avy Monday.
    Don't worry, plenty of the koolaid drinkers have imagined a few; they'll be along soon enough.

Spoiler: they're the same arguments initially used to dissuade Firebird owners when it came out.

Ride On

1st ride on my Mach 6....miss the coil

Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    People who never rode an Avy coiler have no idea what great suspension feels like. I love my Avy DHX5 on a Mojo HD and I will never get a frame that cannot be used with Craig's suspension.
    I second this. Craig's stuff is transformative, for the better.
    Michael

Ride on!