mtbr member
    Mar 2007

12mm rear axle and hangar thread-Firebird

Trying really hard not to be pissed off, and feeling like venting about the lack of any industry standardization that goes into new design.

So I obtain a 142x12 dtswiss rear axle for a new build, and the threads on the axle are completely different than the hangar that came with the frame.

Somebody please educate me?? Or give something sharp so I can poke myself in the eye without going to so much trouble.
    Michael
    old guy

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I ran into the same issue when I purchased my Pivot frame. Luckily, my local bike shop had one in stock! Totally saved my day!

A big shout out to the guys at Bike Masters in Phoenix for all their help!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous all these standards. I've founded a company just to attach our wheel mounted accessories like trailers and trainers to all these axle standards that exist and those that are coming.

We have on our website a resource that might be useful to some that are looking to measure their axles and thread pitches, so they don't run into the same issue.

http://www.robertaxleproject.com/wp-...ent-Guide-.pdf

For the OP, I feel your pain. For the record your Pivot takes a 172mm long 1.5mm threaded axle.

Pivotal figure
    I have to say I'm VERY confused here. If you buy a frame from us (Pivot) it comes with the correct 12mm thru axle to mate up to our hanger. We don't even stock a different thread pitch axle at all. Where did your original axle go??
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    It was stolen. Is that relevant?
    Michael
    old guy

Pivotal figure
    D'oh! Yeah, that would do it! At least you have the consolation of knowing that it most likely gave the thief the same trouble (unless he happens to have a frame with the same thread pitch). I just get concerned when somebody has a frame without the parts that should have come with it, want to make sure it didn't get left out of the shipment on our end somehow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    12x142 could have been a great concept with a simple execution. Now it is just another sea of confusion. This industry needs a wake up call. Proprietary design is something I will avoid like the plague, when I have the choice. Why? Because it is NEVER in my best interest, so when making a decision where to spend my money, I will go for simple and hassle free every time.
    Michael
    old guy

mtbr member
    I've got a Mach 4 27.5 that has a handful of rides on it. Twice now, the Pivot supplied DT thru-axle has loosened up. The wheels are brand-new XTs and I can't find anything wrong with them.

Can I replace the Pivot supplied DT with a Shimano AX75 thru-axle? I am assuming probably not as the retaining bolt for the TA is fixed to the derailleur hanger so I wouldn't be able to adjust it properly.

Does anyone have any recommendations (other than the obligatorysnark "tightening it up") to further secure the axle? Teflon Tape? Thread-lock?

mtbr member
    Dope...

Yes, the stock Pivot axle and the Shimano axles have the same thread pitch. And you are correct that you may have issues with the Shimano since theirs does not allow you to adjust the lever position like the DT Swiss does. So the lever may not face the way you would like. You could try some Silicone RTV Sealant, the blue version. It works similar, but without the brittleness of Loctite. It will be just as effective on multiple removals of the axle as it is on the first. If you're interested in a bolt-on style replacement axle, we offer those. I'd try the Silicone RTV Sealant first, just put a little on the female threads in the frame and make sure the axle shaft has a little grease on it.

Pivotal figure
    I've been running that axle setup for over 6 years with zero issues, are you maybe hitting the lever with your foot while riding? I like to set mine with the lever in line with the chain stay so it's tucked in tight but I have hit it with my foot in some really tech stuff and that could feasibly knock it loose. We do have a bolt on axle that doesn't use a QR lever so that would be another option (not sure if those are on the web store or not)