mtbr member
    Jan 2009

120 or 100mm fork on mach 429

any opinions welcome
    scs

mtbr member
    Talas or u-turn. Best of both worlds!

official eMpTyBRain
    I have a 2009 Mach 429 and a friend of mine also has a 429 but I am not sure which model year it is.

His has a Talas fork. He says at first he used the adjustment but now leaves it at 120 most of the time.

I built my frame up from the ground with a Reba fork which was set at 95mm. It was sluggish at that height. I recently had the travel maxed out to 115mm. That has really brought this bike to life.

Therefore, I would go 120mm if I were you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Iam leaning towards 120mm but am a little concerned about how it will effect the climbing.
    scs

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by scsamoyan View Post
    Iam leaning towards 120mm but am a little concerned about how it will effect the climbing.
    That's what I was afraid of but the weird thing is that when I said it balanced out the bike, I meant it also felt more stable climbing. You would think the opposite, but for this frame, I'm telling ya, it helped. We have some nasty, long steep climbs here in So Cal. I put it to the test BIGTIME!

Big Gooner
    Dec 2010
    My bike came with 100mm. I wish it had 120mm now.

mtbr member
    I have a Mach429 with a Fox TALAS 120/95 and I do recommend it. As I ride more and get fitter I use the 95 setting less and less except on long climbs. In the rolling singletrack, I run it at 120 all the time.

mtbr member
    I've got a Lefty at 110mm and it's perfect.

Climbing isn't an issue at all. Well, on some fire road type grinds, it does bob a bit, but hitting the lockout almost feels like getting a push up the hill.

It's stiff, smooth and light. Awesome addition to the 429!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have a Talus 120/95 and love it. Spend most of the time in 120 mode,.. 95 on very long climbs helps a bit. Used to ride a Cannondale with a Lefty and thought about getting one for the Pivot, but decided against it for cost and maintenance reasons.

mtbr member
    Head angle on the 429 @ 120mm is 69.60 so it's not too slack either. Probably more important for climbing than amount of travel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I would also highly recommend the Talas 95/120, however if I had to pick one I would pick 120. I ride mostly in the 120 setting, but for steep or really rocky climbs and switchbacks I like to drop it to the 95 setting. Either way, you can't go wrong with this bike, I just love it, but if I had to pick one I would go with 120.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    [QUOTE=Crash2Much;9638846]I would also highly recommend the Talas 95/120, however if I had to pick one I would pick 120. I ride mostly in the 120 setting, but for steep or really rocky climbs and switchbacks I like to drop it to the 95 setting. Either way, you can't go wrong with this bike, I just love it, but if I had to pick one I would go with 120.[/

Talas is a great fork but almost 5lbs....I was gonna go with the 32 float 120mm,it should be 1lb lighter. as far as the bike this will be my 2nd 429,my 1st was a used 07 prototype that was hammered to death by me and a bike shop out west as it was a demo...finally it broke,but the great folks at pivot hooked me up with a great deal on a crash replacement.front half is a 2012 with a 2008 rear in black,the best part is it's a full lb lighter then the prototype,i had a 2009 f29 rlc 100mm 9mm quick release on it,so now i want a new fork to go with tapered head tube.thanks for the comments everybody.
    scs

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have a talas but regret not buying a float. I can not imagine riding it in the 95 mm setting. I ride everything from xc to technical trails in the 120 mm mode for almost 2 years. Even on the road towards the trails the 95 mm feels weird.