Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

What to carry camera equip with?

I just started getting into photography and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as far as a hydration/camera pack. Something to carry more than one lens in and maybe a tripod, also something I can fall on and not worry too much about breaking my camera (If thats possible)

mtbr member

Freedom Rider
    Pretty sweet, boxedrn! I wonder if anyone has any experience falling with or on a bag like this and the equipment being unharmed...
    What we become depends on what we read after all of the professors have finished with us.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'd suggest one of these.

http://www.clikelite.com/shop/

There is a thread on this forum somewhere in which several posted about these packs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hecklerr

There is a thread on this forum somewhere in which several posted about these packs.
    That looks awesome, just sort of what I was looking to carry the Canon. Definitely like the Go-Pro, but i like still photography a lot more

saddlemeat
    I have never personally heard of a mountain biker breaking a camera by falling but I'm sure someone has. Just shove it in your Camelback. Get an VR (vibration reduction/image stabilization) lens and leave the tripod home. A seamstress friend sewed me a fleece bag out of an old fleece jacket sleeve to prevent rub marks.
    Making the smack track baby.

A Useful Bear
    is a handy thing...

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hecklerr

I'll second this one. Love my Clik.
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb
    I have never personally heard of a mountain biker breaking a camera by falling but I'm sure someone has. Just shove it in your Camelback. Get an VR (vibration reduction/image stabilization) lens and leave the tripod at home.
    Amen and you don't need a VR lens. Mine typically stays at home.

not really an mtbr member
    I found the best way to do it was to get a neoprene case for it and just shove it in the Camelbak. There's no bag that will protect it if you actually fall on it. Like they've said, that's unlikely though.

Oh, and trust me, you won't want more than a body and a lens. It gets really heavy really fast.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by theextremist04

Oh, and trust me, you won't want more than a body and a lens. It gets really heavy really fast.
    Sorry, can't trust you on that. I usually carry more than a body (heavy one too) and one lens. I usually have a couple of lenses and a couple of strobes. Sometimes I also add a video camera.

What you'll carry really depends upon what you are used to riding with and what you want to be able to capture.

saddlemeat
    I have a little D5000 with a 35/1.8 lens that fits well in my Camelback HAWG. Much more than that and it's a photo shoot trip for me. One of my pro photog friends sometimes schleps his heavy camera and a lens or two but then it's usually a job, as it affects his biking enjoyment. If you are just getting into photography carry a prime lens of choice and develop that eye.

A Useful Bear
    is a handy thing...

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    When I'm carrying my SLR and focusing more on getting lots of photos than riding hard, I like to have my "baby on board" with this. Mountainsmith Descent AT Chest-Pack. All my friends love it since it looks a lot like a baby carrier when wearing it.
    Last edited by ski_adk; 02-09-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Picture Unrelated
    I've been saving my pennies for a Dakine Sequence Photo pack. Here's a few options from them, nice stuff:

http://www.dakine.com/ski/packs/photo/
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

not really an mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouchy The Clown

Sorry, can't trust you on that. I usually carry more than a body (heavy one too) and one lens. I usually have a couple of lenses and a couple of strobes. Sometimes I also add a video camera.

What you'll carry really depends upon what you are used to riding with and what you want to be able to capture.
    I guess I also forgot to take into account that I only carried it on long rides- 4-5 hours. And 3L of water plus a 40D plus the 17-55 gets real heavy real fast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    When off-road touring, the camera can take a caning at times, just as much as when photographing riders in harsh conditions.

The tripod I put on a beam rack, and it's held on with a bungee cord. The camera a DSLR, I have in a small Lowepro Topload padded pouch for slipping into my back pack. I put small lenses in Canon hard cases and a telephoto lens goes in a long thick Marino wool sock.

I've just recently acquired an Extrawheel Voyager for touring, it can now carry the gear on longer trips, including the tripod.

Following on from theextremist04's comments, it is good having what you need, especially the tripod, I also suggest not taking too much gear at once. Unless you have specific things that require a range of gear to be able to capture well. Riding as light as possible is best. I have found that the more gear I take, the less I tend to shoot. Being spoilt for choice creates too much thinking and not enough doing.

A shot from my last ride ... a Blakely's Red Gum in an open woodland, the Southern Tablelands, Oz. the same tree is in the shot with my bike.

Unless you are right at the top end with gear, not much else is adequately water-proofed or dust-proofed. In bad conditions a camera rain/dust sleeve which is only a few bucks can be useful and gives excellent protection. I wonder how many cameras got fine talc grit in them during the World Cup at Mount Stromlo ... thanks to the planet's most obnoxious chopper pilot, who repeatedly dusted the hapless spectators.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 02-09-2011 at 09:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have one of these. http://www.tamrac.com/frame_velocity.htm.

I dropped the bag a few times from about 4ft and nothing broke. Ive also read about lens filters keeping the actual lens from breaking during falls. So it be a good idea.

Grizzly
    If you have a top load style bag, a simple chest harness works well for the camera. Clicky
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

Fat guy on a bike
    I throw my SLR into a top loading padded bag, then put that into my Camelbak Alpine Runner which has plenty of room for it and whatever else you need.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by theextremist04
    I guess I also forgot to take into account that I only carried it on long rides- 4-5 hours. And 3L of water plus a 40D plus the 17-55 gets real heavy real fast.
    Yes, again, what you'll carry really depends upon what you are used to riding with and what you want to be able to capture. That's a lighter pack for some folks.

The good thing is that for longer rides your pack gets lighter as the ride progresses.

Dropshot Champ!
    +1 for clik bags. Suuuuper comfy.

Just Ride!
    Lowepro Inverse 100. So far so good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have been thinking of rigging up an Pelican hard case or something like it for my D40/35mm prime to stuff into my Dakine pack. Anyone try something like that?

Digital Toast
    This little guy....

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Rezo-30,2012,25.htm

Attached to the front of my camelbak. So I can get it out quick.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by firefox90
    I have been thinking of rigging up an Pelican hard case or something like it for my D40/35mm prime to stuff into my Dakine pack. Anyone try something like that?
    I have Pelican cases for all my gear but they are pretty bulky and heavy for riding with, especially at dslr size. I have bungied an 1150 to a seatpost mount rear rack for an extended arctic bike tour. Overkill for most bicycling in my opinion but they do have their place for camping and river tripping. My Pelican 1450 with dslr and a few lenses survived a rather extended and wild dunking when my inflatable kayak overturned on the San Juan River. It was several years old at the time but no problems, it will prolly outlast me.

A Useful Bear
    is a handy thing...

Yes, that's fonetic
    Another vote for the clik line. I've been shopping for something that'll hold a hydration bag. Just got the Probody Sport and can fit my dslr w/2 extra lenses when I'm willing to pack a load in. It has a lash point for a tripod too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast