Super Clyde

Video editing software?

I went and bought a GoPro, so now I need to find decent editing software that's easy to use. The footage from my first ride with it sucked, and I ended up editing an hour of video down to 9 secs from a crash. I had it aimed too low despite having the camera tilted as high as it would go. Any tips on how to fix that?

Here it is if you're interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEKt3-Bd0tQ

I used iMovie and spent almost 2 hours trying to figure it out.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    iMovie is one of the simpler editing programs to work with from my experience, especially if youíre a regular Mac user. I like Final Cut Pro X, as it allows a fair bit more manipulation. As far as camera angle, it would help if we knew what mount you were using, and how itís interfaced with the mounting surface. Was it mounted to a helmet, chest harness, etc.? With more info, or even some photos, it would be easier to offer suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Clyde
    I forgot I have Premier Pro CC through school, is that a better bet, or should I stick with iMovie. I use Macs exclusively right now for work and school.

As far as my set up, I am using a chest rig from a cheap 50-in-one accessory kit I got off Amazon. On my son's suggestion I flipped the camera 180 degrees, and now it isn't pointed directly at my tire, but when I am standing upright it is pointing at the sky. Is there a way to do it so there is a happy median? Here's a pic of the way I wore it for my test.
    IMG_2238 by Brett Valentine, on Flickr

aka: Bucky Fikes
    Looks like you're on the right track for mount orientation but IIRC, mine drops into the slide mount from the top so it's not hanging so low below the strap mount. Same idea, though...camera upside down, push it down against your chest, it points down low towards your top-tube. Tilt it up a little, maybe <30* and you get your bars and forward looking FPV which is best.
    Always ride with a purpose.

mtbr member
    I have iMovie, which works fine for editing on my iPad Pro. I've used Final Cut Pro. Very powerful...more powerful than I need (with great power comes great complication). I have come to prefer Premier Elements on my Macs. It's intuitive, especially if you're used to editing from an actual timeline. It has a pretty good titling component, and a very good set of transitions. Render speed is pretty fast. I particularly like the direct link it makes to rendering/uploading directly to social media and to YouTube.

My chest strap for my GoPro is adjusted to sit it higher on my chest, which keeps handlebar a little more out of the field and give me a better angle for my riding position. Next step for serious biking video would be a gimbal.

I didn't do it
    OP, keep working on learning iMovie. I found that it was a little counterintuitive to use at first. But after awhile you should get the basics down. For me its all I need.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    I forgot I have Premier Pro CC through school, is that a better bet, or should I stick with iMovie. I use Macs exclusively right now for work and school.

As far as my set up, I am using a chest rig from a cheap 50-in-one accessory kit I got off Amazon. On my son's suggestion I flipped the camera 180 degrees, and now it isn't pointed directly at my tire, but when I am standing upright it is pointing at the sky. Is there a way to do it so there is a happy median? Here's a pic of the way I wore it for my test.
    IMG_2238 by Brett Valentine, on Flickr
    Youíre definitely on the right track with the mount. Most chest mounts need to have the camera flipped upside down to provide the right angle facing forward for riding position filming. I wouldnít worry about where itís pointed from a standing position unless you really want to film other riders, group interaction, or your surroundings while off the bike. Easier to just pop off the chest harness and hold the camera in my opinion. There are great smart phone apps that let you see what the cameraís POV is while itís mounted. That can be very helpful.

Premier is pretty powerful, a step beyond iMovie in some respects. If youíre comfortable with it, that should work great. iMovie really is pretty straight forward once you get the basics though. Makes posting to multiple platforms or devices pretty easy as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Adobe Premiere CC is too expensive unless you get some kind of discount. You have to pay a monthly subscription fee.

90% of what can be done in Adobe Premiere CC can be done in Adobe Premiere Elements, and in addition, Premiere Elements is easier to use, and even has some automatic footage corrections. It can do some cool stuff, like automatically matching and trimming a song to your footage. It runs on Mac and Windows, and you can run it on each with the same license.

They had a couple of killer one day deals on it recently, but it is back up to $99. Totally worth it IMHO.

Super Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Adobe Premiere CC is too expensive unless you get some kind of discount. You have to pay a monthly subscription fee.

90% of what can be done in Adobe Premiere CC can be done in Adobe Premiere Elements, and in addition, Premiere Elements is easier to use, and even has some automatic footage corrections. It can do some cool stuff, like automatically matching and trimming a song to your footage. It runs on Mac and Windows, and you can run it on each with the same license.

They had a couple of killer one day deals on it recently, but it is back up to $99. Totally worth it IMHO.
    I get the whole Creative Cloud suite free though school. Iíll probably just stick with iMovie though. Iím not looking to do much beyond edit out some of the boring parts, edit out my heavy breathing, and add music. Maybe eventually Iíll try a little more, but for now Iím good with basic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    I get the whole Creative Cloud suite free though school. Iíll probably just stick with iMovie though. Iím not looking to do much beyond edit out some of the boring parts, edit out my heavy breathing, and add music. Maybe eventually Iíll try a little more, but for now Iím good with basic.
    iMovie will definitely cover those bases.

saddlemeat
    Windows Movie Maker is a free Windows add on, and is simple and fairly intuitive.

Photoshop CC has a pretty good video editor too.
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Just from my own personal experience, you're wearing the chest harness too low. I try to have the cam more toward mid-sternum. It seems to get a slightly better angle and, for me at least, gets a more stable picture. That harness may not be adjustable enough, hard to tell from the pic, but I found one which intentionally sets the camera higher. (Link:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) Since you have the "giganto-kit" of accessories, if you have some additional short extension pieces, play around with those too. I have my cam oriented "right-side up" with a short extension too get a good shot. It keeps the cam closer to my body too, which reduces "shake". Maybe someday I'll get a gimbal, but that's pretty low on my list of expenses right now.
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member
    iMovie is the best!