mtbr member
    Apr 2004

User reports needed on Nikon V1 or J1

Yes, I searched all relevant words and got nothing so I'm starting a new thread about this.

Surely someone here owns one of these new little Nikon cameras. They would seem to be the perfect size to carry, reviews have indicated they have stellar IQ and speed of function.

So, anyone here carry one or the other? Thanks.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

too much bike love
    No, I don't have one, but... here is my 2 cents:

Are you shooting action, or landscapes?

If action, the D3100 will be much better (or any DSLR for that matter).

If landscape, the NEX-7 looks incredible. Sony looks like they are building a great line up of lenses for that system. Also, the Canon S95 is much smaller and much cheaper.

Look at the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by james-42 View Post
    No, I don't have one, but... here is my 2 cents:

Are you shooting action, or landscapes?

If action, the D3100 will be much better (or any DSLR for that matter).

If landscape, the NEX-7 looks incredible. Sony looks like they are building a great line up of lenses for that system. Also, the Canon S95 is much smaller and much cheaper.
    Not so sure about the first statement. The J1/V1 shoot a lot faster than the D3100 (5fps/restricted 10fps+ on the V1 vs. only 3fps on the D3100), and they have a very, very capable phase detect autofocus comparable with DSLRs, some even say: better than many DSLRs. See Thom Hogans review:
    Quote Originally Posted by sansmirror.com
    [on the V1 Autofocus]
    I'm very convinced that I can treat a V1 like a DSLR in most respects: right settings, steady follow of the subject, and sometimes a bit of prefocus and AF sensor moving get me what I want. Indeed, the V1 was so much like a DSLR in this respect, I really missed not having an AF-On button and having the ability to switch all the focus parameters by external control.

The next question tends to be focus for video. As with the J1, I'd call the V1 respectable. Better than most Nikon DSLRs in tracking focus in video, but not as good as some dedicated camcorders
    I have only tried the J1/V1 in a store, but I can say that I found the autofocus extremely impressive, completely different league than any compact or mirrorless camera I've seen.
    DSLRs still have advantages for action, such as better performance at high ISO, but it would appear that the V1 is pretty close to a lower end DSLR like the 3100 for the most part.
    Last edited by lelebebbel; 02-15-2012 at 03:25 AM.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had a V1 for about 2 weeks. Pretty cool camera with a very fast AF. The EVF is super bright and very good. I was coming from a Canon 40d and I missed all the external controls. Most of the settings that where easy to change on the 40d where buried in menus on the v1. That was my biggest gripe and the reason I returned it. I now have a Canon 7d and I am pretty happy but I do miss the size of the V1. If you are looking to do action/sports shots The V1/J1 will have quicker AF the any of the Micro 4/3 or the Sony Nex series

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I actually shoot with two Nikon DSLRs and when out on the trail, a Panasonic ZS1 which does OK for a 12x optical zoom point and shoot. Everytime I'm in a Best Buy and I see a little white or pink V1/J1 sitting there and think, hmmmmm, larger (including lens) than my ZS1, smaller than my D5100, I wonder how it really performs out in the real world?

Canon 7D man above returned his. I'm probably in the same boat, in that now that I'm used to using a DSLR daily, the lack of controls (and OVF) on a camera that in reality is not that small, might drive me nuts, too. OTOH, if a guy was shooting with a tiny point and shoot, the Niikon 1 series might be a logical "upgrade".

The most I go for with my ZS1 is strictly landscapes or the occasional panning as a rider comes past. Panning is problematical because of shutter lag. I have to pre-focus on where the rider will be then fully press the shutter a bit before they're actually there. Timing is everything. I've read that the NIkon 1 series is faster in that regard.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

too much bike love

You are correct, my bad

Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel View Post
    Not so sure about the first statement. The J1/V1 shoot a lot faster than the D3100 (5fps/restricted 10fps+ on the V1 vs. only 3fps on the D3100), and they have a very, very capable phase detect autofocus comparable with DSLRs, some even say: better than many DSLRs.
    Thanks for correcting that. I was thinking of focus tracking and fps primarily when I made that remark, so yeah, I was totally wrong there

I guess I'm just having a hard time keeping all these mirrorless systems straight in my head.

Looking a little deeper, it looks like the J1/V1 don't have any facility for off-camera flash, which would be a nice feature for shooting action on the trail. But I guess if you don't mind carrying a tripod and external flash, you probably don't mind the extra bulk of a DSLR.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    better cameras in the small category.
    if you want to shoot motion/action, your only real choice is a dslr unfortunately. nikon d5100 or wait since it's rumored that body will be replaced this year.

for non action
    m43: gf3. nex 5n (much better choice than nex 7 imho), or s 105. From my research Best IQ/$, get the nex 5n + old canon or nikon lens adapter for manual focus lens.

Dissolved member
    For landscapes: Sigma DP1/DP2 FTW. (IF you are a photographer who knows what he is doing) I love my DP2, best portable camera ever for landscapes in daylight or on a tripod.

Flickr: Sigma DP2 and DP2s Cameras