Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel View Post
    To get this going, here are a few of mine. I've played around with this stuff for a while but never really worked it all out. My goal for this season is to get a bit more gear (radio triggers and a second external unit) and get a bit better at this, so feel free to criticize.

Hopefully I'll have more to post in a few weeks.
    These look great!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by miatagal96 View Post
    DurtGurl:

What do you use to mount your flash onto your tripod?

Also, I notice that a lot of people use radio triggers. Are these better than using your on-board flash to trigger the external flash?
    You'll want to get light stands with cold-shoe mounts rather than trying to mount the flash to a tripod.

And yes, radio triggers will work a whole lot better than the on-board flash to trigger...one reason is that radio doesn't require line of sight to work properly, but the biggest thing is that when you're outside in broad daylight, you'll have a heck of a time getting the flash to notice the little bit of a flash your onboard camera sends out to trigger it. The on-board flash trigger works great in controlled settings, but its useless outside. I've had GREAT results from Yongnuo tranceivers, and they're dirt cheap...like 35 bucks a pair, and they can double as shutter release too.

Look at the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill-E-BoB View Post
    You'll want to get light stands with cold-shoe mounts rather than trying to mount the flash to a tripod.

And yes, radio triggers will work a whole lot better than the on-board flash to trigger...one reason is that radio doesn't require line of sight to work properly, but the biggest thing is that when you're outside in broad daylight, you'll have a heck of a time getting the flash to notice the little bit of a flash your onboard camera sends out to trigger it. The on-board flash trigger works great in controlled settings, but its useless outside. I've had GREAT results from Yongnuo tranceivers, and they're dirt cheap...like 35 bucks a pair, and they can double as shutter release too.
    I've got the Yongnuo RF603s as well, and while they work great, I'd probably get Cactus V5s instead if I had to buy them again. The remote shutter thing is great, but it only works if your camera has a socket for a cable remote, most consumer cameras don't.

You don't need a dedicated light stand if you have a spare tripod, just get one of these:
    Professional Cold Shoe Mount For Tripod 1/4 - 20 threaded socket adapter SB910 | eBay

(cold shoe tripod adaptor)

Advantage of a real lightstand is that you can mount umbrellas and stuff though.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

Kathleen in AZ
    I just picked up the Vello Freewave Fusion set from BH.

Vello FreeWave Fusion Wireless Flash Trigger & Remote RFW-C

So far I've just played around with them a bit on my pups while out camping this weekend, and it looks like I'll need to run both the flash (430EX II) and camera (T3i) in manual modes. Hopefully I'll get some trail shots soon to share!

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    I just picked up the Vello Freewave Fusion set from BH.

Vello FreeWave Fusion Wireless Flash Trigger & Remote RFW-C

So far I've just played around with them a bit on my pups while out camping this weekend, and it looks like I'll need to run both the flash (430EX II) and camera (T3i) in manual modes. Hopefully I'll get some trail shots soon to share!
    Haven't made it to the trail yet, but have been practicing out back with the dogs. Waiting for the toss...

Action shot at dusk. 1/200, f/7.1, ISO400, flash was at 1/1 but with a diffuser.

My best shot yet due to on spot focus and panning. Settings were same as above.

Next... trail shots! I hope my friends will be patient with me cause this takes some set up and thinking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Here's one I took last year. It's hyper-synced at 1/800th sec. with an SB900 and an SB-700 on Pocketwizard FlexTTs. It was shot at about noon, but using hyper-sync really gave us nice control of tough shooting light. I have bunches more and will find a few others, but I really liked this one even if the focus was a bit iffy (at f1.4, the focal plane is only a few inches wide, the back wheel is in focus while the front is not).

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Here's one that's a little more subtle, one SB-900 inside the corner to light up the face a bit without ruining all the nice stuff the sun was doing with the dust.

Look at the time!
    Haven't made it to the trail yet, but have been practicing out back with the dogs.
    That is a great idea. Looks like you are figuring this out quickly. You can also try to use one flash as a backlight if you have two.

This one here has one strobe at the far left as a back / rim light, and the other (lacking a second stand) on camera, both at 1/8. The orange spot at the bottom is a ghost caused by the sun above the frame.

29 by lelebebbel, on Flickr

Kathleen in AZ
    That is a great idea. Looks like you are figuring this out quickly. You can also try to use one flash as a backlight if you have two.
    For now I only have one flash and will do the best I can with it... this past weekend I tried to organize a pump track photo shoot along with some killer Monsoon skies, but was rained out. I waited it out and had some good practice with the dogs after the rain stopped. Will try again soon to capture bikers. The PT or jump parks seem like the ideal place to practice since the subjects go round and round and round...

Dirt Bike Craig
    To get this going, here are a few of mine. I've played around with this stuff for a while but never really worked it all out. My goal for this season is to get a bit more gear (radio triggers and a second external unit) and get a bit better at this, so feel free to criticize.

Setup: One Nikon SB600 as visible in the background probably at about 1/4 power, on camera flash at 1/8 or something. 1/200 f/5.6 ISO400.

Older shot. Single SB600 just to the left of the frame (see shadows), set to Auto TTL. Natural light from the top. No on-camera flash. 1/200 f/4 ISO400.

As above. 1/200 f/4.5 ISO200.

And finally, one of my first attempts ever:

I think this was with a single manual strobe just to the left of the camera. 1/200 f/8 ISO400.

Hopefully I'll have more to post in a few weeks.
    These shots are $$$ !
    The first one really caught my eye. I love it!
    Check out my photography on RedBubble http://www.redbubble.com/people/fmxdbc

mtbr member
    Phottix has a really good wireless system out there for nikon and cannon.

mtbr member
    For now I only have one flash and will do the best I can with it... this past weekend I tried to organize a pump track photo shoot along with some killer Monsoon skies, but was rained out. I waited it out and had some good practice with the dogs after the rain stopped. Will try again soon to capture bikers. The PT or jump parks seem like the ideal place to practice since the subjects go round and round and round...

love the last photo!!
    Trek Fuel EX 6
    Cannondale F5
    Felt Z100

My photos

Kathleen in AZ
    I finally got some trail shots! There's this place on National at South Mountain park in Phoenix called the Waterfall. It is an infamous rocky little DH section that has a big pucker factor and is always hard to capture in pictures due to it usually being in the shade in the otherwise very very sunny Arizona. Being in the shade, it usually looks flat and boring and nothing like the rocky challenge that the rider sees.

I used my 430XII flash sitting about 10 feet from the riders. It was set on 1/1 with the diffuser in place. I was using the kit 18-55 lens that came with my T3i - all shots at 55mm. Settings were ISO 400, f/10 or 11, and 1/200 or 1/250. I need lots more practice!! Thanks to my Pivot pals for being patient with me today and doing lots of do-overs. It's monsoon season in Phx now which means STICKY and hot. Whew.

It was so hot and sticky this morning that there were no other riders on the Waterfall except this guy. This shot just happens to have my favorite lighting from my first attempt at trail strobe photography:

Look at the time!
    I've got another one, too. A bit less subtle but I needed all the help I could get to lift the rider off the background on this spot:

Ash @ the crossover by lelebebbel, on Flickr

Main speedlight is to the right of the camera at 1/8. Second light visible in the frame also at 1/8. Both set to fairly wide beam (28mm setting iirc).
    Camera is at ISO400, f/5 and 1/320s which was about 1-2 stops underexposure for the background.

Kathleen in AZ
    I've got another one, too. A bit less subtle but I needed all the help I could get to lift the rider off the background on this spot:

Main speedlight is to the right of the camera at 1/8. Second light visible in the frame also at 1/8. Both set to fairly wide beam (28mm setting iirc). Camera is at ISO400, f/5 and 1/320s which was about 1-2 stops underexposure for the background.
    Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but why would you put a flash behind the rider (and in the field of view)? I do like how he pops out from the lush & busy green background. I don't have that problem (green or lush) where I live!

Also, I failed to see much difference when I set the strobe to 24mm vs 50mm vs 105mm and figured it was because I was using everything in manual. Maybe I just wasn't really testing it right, perhaps using too much flash? I will think about this next time I am out.

Of course.... my dream would be to use the strobe in combination with my 8mm fisheye. I have to admit - I have never been so enthused about learning something new as with this whole photography thing. I am scientist engineer type anyway, so am thinking all the time about how to get my next picture. Let's talk tilt-shift lenses next!!! Now THAT looks fun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

self portrait, flash 15 feet to the left, 10 feet to the right, both at 1/2 power. radio shutter release taped on the left side of my handlebars.

pretty much similar setup, but not self portrait

bmx, but I really like it. a flash on either side but more behind him, and shot on 2 1/4 film

Look at the time!
    Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but why would you put a flash behind the rider (and in the field of view)? I do like how he pops out from the lush & busy green background. I don't have that problem (green or lush) where I live!

Also, I failed to see much difference when I set the strobe to 24mm vs 50mm vs 105mm and figured it was because I was using everything in manual. Maybe I just wasn't really testing it right, perhaps using too much flash? I will think about this next time I am out.

Of course.... my dream would be to use the strobe in combination with my 8mm fisheye. I have to admit - I have never been so enthused about learning something new as with this whole photography thing. I am scientist engineer type anyway, so am thinking all the time about how to get my next picture. Let's talk tilt-shift lenses next!!! Now THAT looks fun!
    The flash behind the rider is a rim- or backlight: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backlig...ighting_design)

It helps providing some "pop" or separation between the subject and background. Normally you'd try to keep it out of the frame, but that wasn't possible with that wide angle shot.
    The BMX shot above (great photo by the way) is a good example.

The flash zoom setting can be quite important, too. The more you zoom in, the more focused the beam. You get longer range and slightly more isolated coverage. For example, you can get light on the rider but not the foreground if you aim it right. Aim the flash at a wall and try it.
    You can even tape some cardboard to the flash to make a "snoot", if you want a really focused beam of light.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Tried this out for myself this past weekend. Here's my ill-timed self portrait. Had the wireless trigger taped to the left side of the handlebar. It was still VERY tricky to set if off! I wish there were a low-profile release button that I could tape to the grip instead of using a bulky trigger. It'd be safer too.

Anyway...

_Josh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Strobist Gallery- let's see your external flash MTB shots-mtb.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    cant wait to post some pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FMX_DBC View Post
    These shots are $$$ !
    The first one really caught my eye. I love it!
    This is sick!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    bmx, but I really like it. a flash on either side but more behind him, and shot on 2 1/4 film[/QUOTE]

WOW!! This is AMAZING!

mtbr member
    Newer to this, trying that popular product look. Naked 430XII from the left.

mtbr member

Static bike shot

I figured I'd lug my dSLR and flash out to get a nice shot of my bike before it got too thrashed (I've been riding it about eight months). Also, first time attempting something like this while out on a trail ride. I was surprised that everything stuffed into my Camelbak Mule pack just fine. Next time I'm gonna have to try some action shots with friends, bringing my big boy camera wasn't as much of a pain as I had originally anticipated. I'm still a little freaked out about crashing with it in my pack, but I guess I'll just have to ride more conservatively when I have a camera with me.

Canon 5D mkII, 50mm f1.4
    580EXII with a Lumiquest Ultrasoft on a Gorillapod to the right, stuck on a tree branch.
    Pocketwizard radio triggers

1/250 sec, f2.0, ISO 50
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Strobist Gallery- let's see your external flash MTB shots-_mg_4002-copy.jpg  

Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by splatworldwide View Post
    I figured I'd lug my dSLR and flash out to get a nice shot of my bike before it got too thrashed (I've been riding it about eight months). Also, first time attempting something like this while out on a trail ride. I was surprised that everything stuffed into my Camelbak Mule pack just fine. Next time I'm gonna have to try some action shots with friends, bringing my big boy camera wasn't as much of a pain as I had originally anticipated. I'm still a little freaked out about crashing with it in my pack, but I guess I'll just have to ride more conservatively when I have a camera with me.

Canon 5D mkII, 50mm f1.4
    580EXII with a Lumiquest Ultrasoft on a Gorillapod to the right, stuck on a tree branch.
    Pocketwizard radio triggers

1/250 sec, f2.0, ISO 50
    Nice! Every day at lunch I wander over the this forum to see if there are any new cool biking photos... sadly, the answer is usually no. So pls get out there this weekend and snap some riding photos! p.s. Nice bike

mtbr member
    Nice! Every day at lunch I wander over the this forum to see if there are any new cool biking photos... sadly, the answer is usually no. So pls get out there this weekend and snap some riding photos! p.s. Nice bike
    Thanks! I have a hard time stopping in the middle of a ride to muck around with photos, but it is fun mixing my interests like this. I saw your comment above regarding tilt-shift; I have a Hartblei 85mm f2.8 tilt-shift that I got mainly for product photography. It's nifty for still subjects, but I couldn't imagine trying to shoot action with it! In any case, it *is* a fun toy.
    Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast