Single Speed Junkie

Sony RX100 / Fuji x-10

I've been looking at a new camera for 2013 and the Sony RX100 and Fuji x-10 both look fairly capable for a small form factor camera. Would love the capabilities of a DSLR but really only want to carry a point and shoot size. Anyone have any recommendations for a good small size camera.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    I have an X-10, and bought it for the same reason - wanting a camera that shot like a DSLR while being more discreet. If you've done any research on the X10, then you've probably come across a few articles about the orb highlight controversy. My camera is from about 8 months old, and it still suffers from this issue. Iím not sure if modern production runs have fixed this or not. Under everyday use, though, you wonít get them, or even notice them.

In every other way, the camera is phenomenal, and looks like a thing of beauty. Itís built like a German engineered gadget from the Cold War era. It handles like an SLR (or an old Leica M4, which looked to inspire it), in that one hand must operate the manual zoom lens while the other operates the controls. But it is a pleasure to use. Great dynamic range, totally silent and discreet, with a very crisp and bright viewfinder. Just know that the viewfinder is empty of any info; no exposure numbers, not even a focus dot.

It also takes good 1280p video at 30 fps, though the autofocus in video is sluggish.

Keep in mind that itís still a small sensor camera. The image quality is superb in its category, but it canít hold a candle even to my 7 year old Rebel Xt. At full crop, the X10 image will look blotchy, which means the sensor canít keep up with the resolution with the lens.

Before you get too excited, though, itís not a camera for riding and shooting. It canít be operated with one hand. And the lens sticks out, so it doesnít fit in a pocket very well. For use while biking, I would look elsewhere. But if not biking, itís a joy to use. If you can live with it orbing once in a while, get it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The RX100 is great for one hand shooting, especially if you add a grip.

Richard Franiec creates accessory grip for Sony RX100: Digital Photography Review

Single Speed Junkie
    Both very good points. I really like the build quality of the X-10 but if it is not bike friendly then usage would be limited. Perhaps 2013 Fuji will continue their recent trend keeping the build quality and improving upon the sensor a little.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Something else to consider, the Sony HX20 or 30, the 30 has GPS and wifi, the 20 doesnt have wifi and is like $10-20 cheaper. Both are half the price of the RX100.

They do not shoot in RAW, but you can manually control exposure.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by webmstrk9 View Post
    Something else to consider, the Sony HX20 or 30, the 30 has GPS and wifi, the 20 doesnt have wifi and is like $10-20 cheaper. Both are half the price of the RX100.

They do not shoot in RAW, but you can manually control exposure.
    I second this recommendation. I did a very exhaustive hunt for a P&S to take on the trails. Chiefly, it had to be relatively cheap, so that if I destroy it in a crash, it wonít be a huge loss. I ended up choosing the Sony HX20V, but my requirements were mostly for video. For its price, its one handed operation, its video abilities, and its superb image stabilization, it stood out to me.

It doesnít have still image quality comparable to the much more expensive X10, but hereís the kicker Ė it takes video in 1080p at full 60 fps, with very fluid stabilization, and basic selectable focus. And at its price, if it got destroyed in a crash, it wonít hurt like destroying an X10.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Fuji XF-1?

Have you tried looking at the Fuji XF-1? I love the X10 design and almost bought one for a very good price on a trip to Singapore. The XF-1 has many of the same features but in a smaller design (and is in my opinion one of the best looking cameras made). Should be more portable than the X10 but still has two handed operation and a slightly protruding lens.