mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Sony HDR As 100 V mounts and accessorieshi

Hi,

After much deliberation and online research, I decided against a Go Pro (impressive as they are) and bought a Sony action camera.The model I have got comes with the wrist remote screen and two basic mounts.

I intend to use it for:

Mountain biking
    Skiing
    Hiking
    Vacations/at home with our toddler

I was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for accessories? My thinking is i need first of all a good helmet mount, but possibly some other nice to have mounts such as bag/handlebar mounts. I have seen back pack shoulder mounts on this forum, which I would be interested to hear experiences of.

I have seen the blt-uhm1 universal head mount on kit and handlebar mount that Sony do. Are either any good, or should I be looking at a third party mount? Go Pro do a popular handlebar mount kit, but that would require some form of adaptor. If possible, I would like the helmet to be side mounted on my helmet, as long as this is ok for filming.

Any experiences/advice welcome. Also would appreciate any advice on whether spare battery, Chargers etc are worth it. Can a normal usb charger be used to recharge the battery - my model did not ship with a charger, but was wondering if I could use my cell phone charger?
    Last edited by gribble; 01-04-2015 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gribble View Post
    Hi,

After much deliberation and online research, I decided against a Go Pro (impressive as they are) and bought a Sony action camera.The model I have got comes with the wrist remote screen and two basic mounts.

I intend to use it for:

Mountain biking
    Skiing
    Hiking
    Vacations/at home with our toddler

I was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for accessories? My thinking is i need first of all a good helmet mount, but possibly some other nice to have mounts such as bag/handlebar mounts. I have seen back pack shoulder mounts on this forum, which I would be interested to hear experiences of.

I have seen the blt-uhm1 universal head mount on kit and handlebar mount that Sony do. Are either any good, or should I be looking at a third party mount? Go Pro do a popular handlebar mount kit, but that would require some form of adaptor. If possible, I would like the helmet to be side mounted on my helmet, as long as this is ok for filming.

Any experiences/advice welcome. Also would appreciate any advice on whether spare battery, Chargers etc are worth it. Can a normal usb charger be used to recharge the battery - my model did not ship with a charger, but was wondering if I could use my cell phone charger?
    Reposting in POV and Video forum - apologies, looks like I put this in the wrong place.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Charger/data cable - any Android-style (mini?) USB cable/charger will work.

Mounts - I tried the handlebar mount, and even with image stabilization it was a blurry mess. I tried the stick-on side-of-helmet mount, but found that the weight of the camera tilted my helmet uncomfortably. Now I'm going to try a top mount (my helmet, Smith Forefront, has a built in mount point for GoPro & lights), but waiting for the Smith mount bracket. You can get a GoPro to ActionCam adapter (I got http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

mtbr member
    I also went with the Sony action cam over the go pro. So far I'm enjoying it

I have a top mount with straps for a vented helmet. The only problem with it is if you don't strap it tight enough it will bounce around a bit. I also jammed a tiny bit of cardboard into the clip dock and no I get almost not movement and smooth shots.

I think the should mount would be a good idea as well, although I haven't tried it yet. I too passed on the bar mount after hearing too many complaints that it makes the videos come out too shaky.

I also have a head strap (it goes around and across the top of the head so it won't sag) with a side mount for our toddler and older boys and they love using it.

Enjoy the action cam!