mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Some HDR enhancements made upon a few of my mtb photos

Certifiably Crazy
    Usually not a big fan of HDR, but these are good photos!
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

saddlemeat
    I like the images, HDR (or other) editing can give extra clarity and depth to images, and especially for prints. There is no such thing as a "pure" image anyhow, photos are about communicating the artist's perception at the time the image was captured and you have done that well.
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Nice captures! HDR works well with these pics. thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    a few more recents...

Some HDR enhancements made upon a few of my mtb photos-img_0824_tonemapped_filtered_1.jpgSome HDR enhancements made upon a few of my mtb photos-img_1027_tonemapped_filtered_1.jpgSome HDR enhancements made upon a few of my mtb photos-img_1016_tonemapped_filtered_1.jpgSome HDR enhancements made upon a few of my mtb photos-img_1005_tonemapped_filtered_1.jpgSome HDR enhancements made upon a few of my mtb photos-img_0962_tonemapped_filtered_1.jpgSome HDR enhancements made upon a few of my mtb photos-img_0811_tonemapped_filtered_1.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    really nice action shots.

mtbr member
    Very nice! I began doing a similar approach with some of my action shots. More LDR than HDR and it doesn't work for everything but looks good when it does...

Some HDR enhancements made upon a few of my mtb photos-15986828926_66528f5f80_c_d.jpg

Some HDR enhancements made upon a few of my mtb photos-15826586879_b7b1684ddb_c_d.jpg

mtbr member
    I'll be the naysayer here.... I don't think they work. They look unnatural, not in any way close to what the scene looked like to the naked eye. I think they were probably good pictures to begin with and didn't need heavy-handed editing to make them appealing.

Just say no to HDR.

saddlemeat
    ^Well, and in the spirit of friendly debate, no photo looks like what the naked eyeS see, because no camera has a lens like human eyes have. In general, all photographic images are highly edited captures of what the "naked" eyes see. A pinhole lens is closer to what an individual eye actually sees. It's all about fashion, imo.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Just say no to HDR.
    ^ This.

With the exception of

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    ^Well, and in the spirit of friendly debate, no photo looks like what the naked eyeS see, because no camera has a lens like human eyes have. In general, all photographic images are highly edited captures of what the "naked" eyes see. A pinhole lens is closer to what an individual eye actually sees. It's all about fashion, imo.
    I get that... I understand that the human eye has more dynamic range than a camera, but overly-done HDR doesn't represent anything close to what you see "in real life".

Maybe it's because I have a more critical eye on sports and landscape photography, but I just don't get the appeal of *most* HDR images. There's a big difference between light-handed HDR and overcooked. In my opinion, the first two sets the OP posted are most definitely over done while the third post looks more realistic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    As the original poster; the main photos are the original raw ones I took, which I'm very happy with and they represent the true image as it were. As an secondary (and yes, artistic) exercise I dabbled with HDR effects. They are not meant to supersede in any sense the originals, I was simply showing artistic effects from the originals. As someone said they represent a 'fashion'; they are an artistic version. I will continue to produce them from my main photos because I have an artistic background and sometimes if you are lucky, they 'work'. But even this of course is subjective.

From what I'm gleaning, I just wont post future ones up on this forum.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I get that... I understand that the human eye has more dynamic range than a camera, but overly-done HDR doesn't represent anything close to what you see "in real life".

Maybe it's because I have a more critical eye on sports and landscape photography, but I just don't get the appeal of *most* HDR images. There's a big difference between light-handed HDR and overcooked. In my opinion, the first two sets the OP posted are most definitely over done while the third post looks more realistic.
    I fail to understand the appeal of flat lifeless images, personally.

lucifuge- I think this is a great place to post your images of any type. I enjoy seeing all the images posted here and don't have pre-conceived notions about what looks good. Smmokan was simply voicing his opinion about how he prefers a conventional look that his more critical eye can understand the appeal of, if I understand correctly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    I fail to understand the appeal of flat lifeless images, personally.

lucifuge- I think this is a great place to post your images of any type. I enjoy seeing all the images posted here and don't have pre-conceived notions about what looks good. Smmokan was simply voicing his opinion about how he prefers a conventional look that his more critical eye can understand the appeal of, if I understand correctly.
    Lifeless images? That's an interesting way of looking at it. I prefer images that have depth, contrast, and convey a sense of emotion. As I said before, I don't mind a "light-handed" HDR treatment, but I'm not a fan of the effect when it's over the top.

By no means am I discouraging anyone from posting pictures... in fact, post more! I'm just voicing my opinion on the topic of HDR, that's all.

saddlemeat
    ^If you get used to bold hdr, "regular" images can appear a little tepid. Like if you're used to strong dark artisan roasted coffee.

I don't use hdr much, but I use a similar less nuanced look, done with some simple PS tools, on photos I edit for use in cheap tabloid paper publications.