mtbr member

Slightly OT: Like taking pictures, use your smartphone?

Back my friend's kickstarter project. This device is really cool and cheap and allows you to take great group photos with an iPhone or any smartphone. With smartphone cameras getting better and better these days, something like this is nice to have. We've used it backpacking, mountain biking, hiking 14ers, and all sorts of places where we didn't want to carry extra gear or a full-on DSLR. It's very convenient for taking group photos. Started in Colorado and made in USA.

JackPod! - Truly Universal Smartphone | Tripod Mount by Joe Simon — Kickstarter

Here's a pic we took on one of our rides using a jackpod and an iphone.

Works with any phone and any case.

Horizontal and vertical mounting

I'm not sure if this violates the ToS of the forums. I apologize for any perceived spam. I'm not really trying to sell anything here, just helping a friend get his campaign off the ground. I figured a lot of you might be interested in something like this and wanted to share.
    Last edited by BaeckerX1; 03-01-2013 at 08:18 AM.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Looks to be pretty cool, I just don't know if I'd want to hang the weight of my phone off my audio jack. I use this for a smartphone tripod. It is a multitool as well.

Slightly OT: Like taking pictures, use your smartphone?-gerber-tripod-iphone-camera-mount.jpg

mtbr member
    We've tested it on multiple smartphones, even big ones and it hasn't been an issue yet. It's a pretty secure connection. I didn't get the feeling that it was putting much strain on the device jack, even with my enormous Razr Maxx. He addresses that in the FAQ. I doubt you'd want to use it on Galaxy Note though. Smartphones are constantly getting lighter and lighter so it should be a non-issue for most devices.

This is a lightweight, ultra-portable solution that works with any smartphone with or without case. It's not going to be rock-solid stable like a full on camera mount, but it's great for taking quick group photos on the fly with a free timer app. Best part is you can attach it to any tripod mount, even those flexible gorilla pods so you can mount it on a tree branch.

That Gerber tool is a whole other level and not ideal if you already have a favorite multitool or knife. I'm not sure that suction cup mount would work as well on phones other than the slick, glass-backed iPhone or on phones with cases. Plus the Jackpod is only 10 bucks so it's not really trying to compete with something like that.
    Last edited by BaeckerX1; 03-01-2013 at 05:37 PM.
    LMB

mtbr member
    The best I've seen used a smart phone case itself as part of the mount, and not any of the jacks. though i can't recall or even attempt to pronounce the name. I was in China when i last seen this.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    I don't use my smartphone for pictures on the trail, but it's a good idea. However, how do you protect those delicate looking little jacks when the unit is stored inside a back pack?

mtbr member
    Cool. Kinda like the Joby Gorillapod for point & shoots.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuarte View Post
    I don't use my smartphone for pictures on the trail, but it's a good idea. However, how do you protect those delicate looking little jacks when the unit is stored inside a back pack?
    They're not delicate. *Even the prototype has been solid, and the production version will be even stronger. I suppose you could break one, but you'd have to try pretty hard. From the FAQ:

Yes! The JackPod! will be made with high quality injection molded plastic that is selected for its strength, rigidity, and texture.

Quote Originally Posted by husonfirst View Post
    Cool. Kinda like the Joby Gorillapod for point & shoots.
    Cool thing is you can use this and mount a Gorilla Pod to your smartphone.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Any case? Have you tested it with a LifeProof case yet? They come with special adaptors for the audio jack.