mtbr member

Shooting pictures at night

Does anyone have any experience taking photos of nightrides? I'm hoping to get the light streaking effect so I'm assuming slower shutter speeds, probably 5-10 seconds. Does anyone know what aperature and ISO I should start off with?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    External flash unit and rear curtain sync with a fast lens. Some of your camera/ flash /lens info would be helpful.

mtbr member
    Thanks for picking up the ball leeboh. I have a Canon 40d and for a lens a Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6. I may or may not have an external flash to use. I'm at the mercy of my friend letting me borrow one. Thoughts as to where I should start?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Wonders of digital is you can see results immediately so you can experiment. It's hard to know with the varying brightness of headlights and light sources to know where to set the aperture & shutter but once you see the results of one shot you can adjust from there.
    Shutter speed youd estimate how long it takes the bike(s)/subject to traverse the picture. 10 seconds is a pretty long time and distance for a bike. Then look at images and adjust the aperture and ISO to correct it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Tripod is a must, need the rear curtain sync to fire the flash at the end of the exposure. Read the camera manual, try some cannon forums?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    How dark are you planning on shooting in? A tripod is a must. I would not think you would want a flash. I recently shot over a freeway to get that streaking light affect. You can play with the ISO and the shutter speed. I would start with a 3 second exposure. You can bump up your ISO if need be. When I shot the lights over the freeway I started with a 200 ISO and then slowly moved it up as needed. The shortest exposure was 3 seconds and the longest was eight. Play with it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The flash is so you get an image of the rider (or whatever) with the light trails streaming behind them. You can also do interesting things with manual triggering the flash off of the camera and handheld. The more advanced flash units can also be programmed to strobe multiple times per second so you can get the multiple exposure effect.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, I'm going to finally do some shooting this weekend. Will post my results.