DHMTBR.com

Shooting Photos with an Action Camera

I see a lot of people posting photos from their Action Cameras and asking for input. It's hard to do that every time for everyone so I wrote a post about shooing still photography with the GoPro. I hope this helps!

https://www.mylifeontwowheels.com/ph...ction-cameras/

The GoPro is a very tiny action “video” camera with a very tiny sensor and a very tiny lens. It will in no way compete with a $5,000 DSLR with an equally expensive $5,000 lens attached. It’s not even going to compete with a $500 DSLR/Lens Kit. It’s just not going to happen! And by understanding the limitations, will also set acceptable expectations.
    Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino

Visit me at:
    My Life on Two Wheels

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Great post! One should go in with realistic expectations when they purchase an action camera that shooting still photos is not what the camera is specifically designed and marketed for. All cameras have to be able to shoot video and all camcorders have to be able to take still photos - seems to be the standard.

And one of my pet peeves is when I read or watch reviews of very expensive cameras (DSLR or Mirrorless) and they make a big point of how good the video is on it - I don't buy an expensive camera to shoot video so how great the video is doesn't sway me.

I bought a Sony NEX-5T several years ago because I wanted to get into photography and never once really shot video with it - only pictures. On point and shoots, I have used it for both pics and vids and the camera does a great job at both but it still is mainly a picture camera.

I have 6 GoPros and pretty much all the time, it is solely used for video - I don't use the photo mode on it.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.