Dirt Huffer

Self action shots - camera's with wireless remote burst shot ability? HALP!

Basically im wondering if there is a camera that has wireless remote shutter ability that will trigger burst shots or continuous shot mode for a certain length of time.

I'd love it if it didn't break the bank (older model years great) Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Last edited by AC/BC; 01-22-2013 at 06:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Maybe you can consider Phottix -> PHOTTIX® CLEON II - Wireless Remotes

Should not be more than $60

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What about something like this? You need to find one that'll work with your camera though. But you can set how many photos to take and at what interval you want them (I think 1 sec is shortest interval) and even set a delay before it starts shooting so you have time to get you and your bike ready before the shots start firing off.

Amazon.com: Aputure Timer Camera Remote Control Shutter Cable 2N, for Nikon D70s, D80, Inexpensive Intervalometer for Time Lapse: Camera & Photo

mtbr member
    I have the Phottix Aion (about $100) and it does what it sounds like you want. It can trigger shots down to 0.1 second intervals, indefinitely. Works pretty well with my Canon 7D but it's not *quite* the same as manually shooting a continuous burst; it skips a beat every once in a while at that rate.

FYI, to get that burst rate I use the Aion's "interval" mode, not the (kinda lame, IMO) "continuous" mode.

SnapHappyChappy
    Dec 2012
    I have a wireless remote for my Nikon D3 SLR that I purchased from "that global auction site" . It's a chinese item but is good for 100m range and so far after 3 years' use, has not faulted.

This is the item I have - JYC JY-110 Wireless Shutter Trigger » linear concepts

and here's a stitched panorama that I made using the remote to get me in the shot too

http://www.copeimages.com/Adhoc/Oran...31_B&W_Web.jpg

I Ride for Donuts
    I have a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition...it will do 30 frames/1 second bursts, or 1 second intervals indefinitely, or super high res video that you can pull stills from...comes with a wifi remote.
    Last edited by CommuterBoy; 01-15-2014 at 03:00 PM.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Just Ride
    Just ordered this wireless remote shutter from amazon for $30, not sure how well it works. Also, unsure how to use it while riding past camera...
    But says it has continuous shooting available. Which is the main reason I chose this one as I plan to use this to photograph some of the races this year.

Amazon.com: Aputure Pro Coworker Wireless Remote, RF Radio Shutter Release for Canon EOS Digital Rebel T2i, T3, T3i, T4i, T5i, SL1, Powershot G10, G11, G12, G1X, Replaces Canon RS 60-E3: Camera & Photo

Actually I'll probably just take the camera and tripod, set it up aiming at the trail I plan to ride past and use the video mode. I can get stills from that! A lot of stuff to carry on the bike, but if I'm out to take pictures, I'm not out for a workout ride anyway! Which also means I can take it easier and lessen the chances of me crashing.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Probably not for a beginner, but most Canon EOS cameras can take advantage of Magic Lantern, an open source firmware that includes motion-detect functionality.

I have not tried it with a bike yet, but I was quite impressed with how well the motion sensing worked.

In fact the whole thing is quite impressive, a must-have software that opens up all kinds of usefull functionality (including intervalometer, bulb ramping, etc.)

mtbr member

Re: Self action shots - camera's with wireless remote burst shot ability? HALP!

Quote Originally Posted by Forced View Post
    Probably not for a beginner, but most Canon EOS cameras can take advantage of Magic Lantern, an open source firmware that includes motion-detect functionality.

I have not tried it with a bike yet, but I was quite impressed with how well the motion sensing worked.

In fact the whole thing is quite impressive, a must-have software that opens up all kinds of usefull functionality (including intervalometer, bulb ramping, etc.)
    I'm very interested in this, but unfortunately I use Nikon, anything like this for Nikon?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by campergf23 View Post
    I'm very interested in this, but unfortunately I use Nikon, anything like this for Nikon?

There is:Nikon Hacker, but its capabilities dont even come close to the custom firmwares available to Canon cameras.

Not sure what you're after but im guessing CHDK is your best bet, Magic Lantern is only for DSLR as CHDK is for a more broader range of Canon cameras and it adds things like RAW shooting (in DNG) to cameras without it and many more functions like motion detection.

But GoPro with their ultra wide angle lenses,burst modes,low weight and WIFI remote trought smart phones open a whole lot of new possibilities only previously available to 4 figures equipment.

Here is a small test I did alone with a Hero3, a Manfroto arm and burst mode controlled by my android phone,visible on left arm:

Self action shots - camera's with wireless remote burst shot ability?  HALP!-xf6l.jpg