Ich bin ein Knolliner

Red Bull Rampage

I finally had my chance to travel to this year's Red Bull Rampage in Virgin, UT. It was really an incredible experience to see so many talented riders riding what look like, and generally were, impossible lines.

I snapped a bunch of photos with my wife's camera and thought I'd share a few of my favorites. Being a "regular joe" at the event, most of these pics involve major cropping to remove the hats and cell phone cams of my neighbors on the cliffs. They're not the sharpest photos in the world...there's the pro photos on Pinkbike for that!

Enjoy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Red Bull Rampage-img_6904.jpg  

Red Bull Rampage-img_6907.jpg  

Red Bull Rampage-img_6928.jpg  

Red Bull Rampage-img_7023.jpg  

Red Bull Rampage-img_7097.jpg  

Red Bull Rampage-img_7047.jpg  

Red Bull Rampage-img_7054.jpg  

Red Bull Rampage-img_7109.jpg  

Red Bull Rampage-img_7119.jpg  

Red Bull Rampage-img_7156.jpg  

Rides Uphill Slow
    Great pics. I've always wanted to get down there and see it in person.
    What did you shoot with? I'm guessing some sort of zoom lens.
    Thanks for sharing.
    I'm here for the downhill

Ich bin ein Knolliner
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hookler View Post
    Great pics. I've always wanted to get down there and see it in person.
    What did you shoot with? I'm guessing some sort of zoom lens.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks! It's an event well worth attending in person. I'd tried in years past, but things finally came together this year. I was blown away by the riders' skill...and guts. Good people there too made the event even more memorable.

I was using a basic Canon Rebel T2i with the 18-55 mm kit lens. The telephoto zoom effect comes a little from the crop frame sensor, but far far far more by me cropping the shots in windows. It's my way of getting over "camera/lens envy" I had at the Rampage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    These are some GREAT shots! We are planning to go next year...any advice for the trip?

Rides Uphill Slow
    Quote Originally Posted by runningchicken View Post
    These are some GREAT shots! We are planning to go next year...any advice for the trip?
    Wait another year since this event happens every other year.
    I'm here for the downhill

Ich bin ein Knolliner
    Quote Originally Posted by runningchicken View Post
    Thanks!

Hookler is right. They held it consecutively 2001-2004 I believe, then brought it back 2008, 2010, and 2012. It's possible they could hold it in 2013, but we won't know until the official announcement is made. There's also speculation they'll move to a new venue (the 2012 site hosted the 2010 event as well), and I heard the rumor is somewhere closer to Lake Powell.

I guess the only advice is to book a hotel room early (or camp), since I hear the attendance grows each time it's held. I think all the rooms in Hurricane were sold out, and plenty of people camped at paid sites, on the mesa, and even right in the event parking lot. No telling what the room/camping situation will be like at the next event if they move it. Obviously take your bikes too, since there is a "down day" during practice. Plan to ride whatever the area offers.

Another good bit of advice is to rig your largest hydration pack to keep beers cold. The cold beers we hauled tasted mighty good in the hot sun!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    those guys are nuts

Team Fearless Descender
    I've been to watch in the past, and while it is AMAZING, I found myself thinking, "this isn't really riding a bike, its more like falling off a cliff with one!"
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff