Thread: Recuva

Muskoka

Recuva

Here's a very nice functional file recovery program that I found myself in need of earlier this week! Saved my bacon

And best part....its free!!!

Recuva - CNET Download.com

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I found myself in need of this program a while back too. Somehow, went brain-dead and started deleting my entire 'Pictures' folder and was watching them all disappear. Snapped to and hit the 'Cancel' command, but many folders were gone. Recuva got quite a bit back, but I had to sort them all out from one big folder, which took literally hours, but it was worth the time to have my pics back.

saddlemeat
    ^^^Which illustrates the importance of regular and deep backups if you hope to hang on to your data. I update my entire archive once a year, one copy to a friends fireproof pawn vault, two on external HDs of which one is a working copy, the other a backup working copy. I keep both the external drives disconnected from power and usb when not in use, and update them once a month from the camera downloads on my desktop. So far I have manged to hang on to 15 years worth of digital photos with minimal losses. I did lose 6 months of images in 2004 and it's still a big hole.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.