saddlemeat

RAW+Jpeg for copyright upload...

Just spent some time on the U.S. Copyright Office - Online Services (eCO: Electronic Copyright Office) website while preparing to upload a group of images. The small +jpeg that I shoot with raw files will save me a lot of processing time.
    Making the smack track baby.

A Useful Bear
    is a handy thing...

saddlemeat
    This is how I processed a whole year of photos (RAW+jpeg) into an archive of small jpegs. Irfanview is a free download (get the plugins too) and is great for bulk processing. Once the year's worth of images is in a folder it can be zipped for upload. I compressed 45 gigs of raw+jpeg images into a 280MB zip file. This whole process took less than a half hour, btw.

A few screen shots...

edit: The first two images are essentially the same but I don't seem to be able to delete one of them, no image html shows in the edit box
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RAW+Jpeg for copyright upload...-irfanss1-copy.jpg  

RAW+Jpeg for copyright upload...-untitled-1.jpg  

RAW+Jpeg for copyright upload...-untitled-2.jpg  

Last edited by bsieb; 02-27-2012 at 12:18 PM.

A Useful Bear
    is a handy thing...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    so... for what? wouldn't you want to archive your files full size and RAW? with 'processed' JPGs as well?

or are you saying you are sending the USPTO a full years worth of images, at smaller size, in JPG, for archive and copyright protection? for 35$

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    so... for what? wouldn't you want to archive your files full size and RAW? with 'processed' JPGs as well?

or are you saying you are sending the USPTO a full years worth of images, at smaller size, in JPG, for archive and copyright protection? for 35$
    It's not for archive purposes, just copyright registration. While all images are copyrighted to their creator at the moment they are created, the amount of money you can get for infringement goes up exponentially if they are registered. Which means a copyright lawyer might take my case, which could be worth a lot of money to me or my heirs. It's a good investment for $35, especially when you consider that I didn't have to invest a lot of time to collect and assemble the database.

I archive my camera files on hard drives and store one copy in a fire proof vault in my friend's pawnshop, another in my bailout/travel bag, and a third on my desk next to the active copy. The reason I do this is because I am a fine art photographer and I can't take the chance of losing 15 years worth of digital images in an incident. All of my gear is replaceable but not my image files and negatives.

How do you archive and protect your images?

A Useful Bear
    is a handy thing...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    It's not for archive purposes, just copyright registration. While all images are copyrighted to their creator at the moment they are created, the amount of money you can get for infringement goes up exponentially if they are registered. Which means a copyright lawyer might take my case, which could be worth a lot of money to me or my heirs. It's a good investment for $35, especially when you consider that I didn't have to invest a lot of time to collect and assemble the database.

I archive my camera files on hard drives and store one copy in a fire proof vault in my friend's pawnshop, another in my bailout/travel bag, and a third on my desk next to the active copy. The reason I do this is because I am a fine art photographer and I can't take the chance of losing 15 years worth of digital images in an incident. All of my gear is replaceable but not my image files and negatives.

Thanks. Was confused about the USPTO bit. Good investment for someone whose life works depends on it.

Up until recently my only photos have been snapshots and cell phones. I'm slowly reawakening my desire to make images. Last camera was a Nikon film SLR that I bought during a studio exchange and then grad school. Most of my creative work from that time lives in slide form. Recently my work lives as completed buildings that I dont often get to see finished, as most of my clients are fairly private. A few though I get to document and visit.

I have just started to think about workflow and process with Lightroom and a bit of photoshop in the mix. Multiple drives at home, occasional online backup to the backed of my website(s), and Flickr and Picassa. Once I upgrade to a new laptop this month I'm going to clean slate a new external drive as well as set up a dedicated off site system for my drawings and photos.

Maybe I'll start another thread about workflow and process...

mtbr member
    I upload all my processed keepers to Flickr and keep all my originals on my desktop HD. I'm not a professional photographer so that sufficient for me.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I upload all my processed keepers to Flickr and keep all my originals on my desktop HD. I'm not a professional photographer so that sufficient for me.
    You might think about regularly copying your accumulated raw and other images to an external hard drive or two and keeping one in a different building or at work.

Fire has been the traditional enemy of a photographer's archived images, digital adds it's additional hardware shakeyness factor to that. If you duplicate digital you can cover the hardware factor but the big F still remains and by distributing copies you can largely overcome that. It's a bummer to lose images, they become a record of our reality and get more valuable to us over time because they enable us to go back.

Edit: I came across another pirated image in a slick glossy regional publication a few days ago. That is why I am going the copyright registration route, otherwise you end up collecting your normal use fee IF you discover it, so there is no incentive on the publisher's part. I aim to set a little trap...

A Useful Bear
    is a handy thing...

mtbr member
    You might think about regularly copying your accumulated raw and other images to an external hard drive or two and keeping one in a different building or at work.
    Flickr is my back up at another location imune from fire. Anything I really like is on my Flickr account. If I lost my local HD it wouldn't be a big deal as I rarely go back and look at photos on my computer. I almost always look at my photo on Flickr.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Flickr is my back up at another location imune from fire. Anything I really like is on my Flickr account. If I lost my local HD it wouldn't be a big deal as I rarely go back and look at photos on my computer. I almost always look at my photo on Flickr.
    What size are your stored flicker images? How much space can you use? I'm not real familiar with flickr.

A Useful Bear
    is a handy thing...

mtbr member
    What size are your stored flicker images? How much space can you use? I'm not real familiar with flickr.
    I upload full resolution jpgs and I can upload/store as much as I want for $25/yr. Most importantly for me is my friends and other interested folks can see them. I don't see the point in taking hundreds and thousands of photos then keeping them locked down in my HD.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com