Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    I went with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 ruggedized camera so that I wouldn't have to worry about that...
    I had that same camera. I used it for kayak fishing in southern California. It resides on the bottom of the Pacific Ocean now

mtbr member
    I'd get a nice camera bag- case logic makes a sweet one with a "hammock" built in and throw it in yer camelbak. And definitely get a lens filter. Polarized filters are nice for landscapes and will cut glare nicely but really don't do well at night photo.

mtbr member
    If you're really only concerned about dust, then putting it inside a closed hydration pack should do the trick. Make sure the hydration pack has a separate place for the actual reservoir though, wouldn't want it to accidentally leak all over your new camera!

The downside to that is that it's not exactly easily accessible- every time you want to shoot you have to pull your pack off and get it out. For the past few years, whenever I'd bring the DSLR out on a ride, I've been using a ThinkTank Digital Holster 10. The velcro securely fastens to the side of my pack's waist belt, and I attach a carabiner to the D ring on the camera bag to the hydration pack to A. keep it from sliding forward, and B. as backup to prevent the camera from falling to the ground if the velcro fails (which has never happened). The bag comes with it's own little rain jacket too. :-)

There's a photo of it here: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/produc...ter-10-v2.aspx
    but note that it's full extended in the photo. On any ride I've ever been on, I usually leave the "Pop Down" zipped up so that it's much shorter overall.

--Mark

My other ride is your mom

Protecting your camera

Hey all....I've been slowly sucked into the world of photography via my blog and just recently took another leap and have ordered a Canon T1i.......relax playa hatters, I did not use my unemployment money (that would take a lot of unemployment). I used airline miles which were set to expire.

My question: How do some of you protect your glass when riding? My primary concern is dust. Thanks in advance for your beta.

Zzzzzzzzz
    For storage, a large zip lock baggie would work or you can use a small Dry Bag like they use for Kayaking.

Got a suspension fork
    I went with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 ruggedized camera so that I wouldn't have to worry about that...
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Lens cap....

Meatbomb
    Get a polarized lens filter ... it helps with glare and also protects the lens

mtbr member
    when I take my DLSR...I use a real camera bag (Lowpro) inside my Osprey. so the dust factor is dealt with by that bag. gives it a little extra cush. of course more weight, but that just makes you stronger.

water worries me more. so I have a rain fly for my Osprey.....well need to modify one for it.
    b

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc View Post
    water worries me more. so I have a rain fly for my Osprey.....well need to modify one for it.

isn't there a rain cover in the bottom outside pocket. Took me over a year to re-remember I had one on my Osprey. I've never have used it yet...which is why I always forget.

mtbr member
    Not on my original talon 22. Steal ing one from my old dueter
    b

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Very Nice camera, I prefer Zip Lock Freezer bag wrapped in a tshirt shielded by 'o l camelback - toting around the "L" glass gets a bit heavy.... however,the pic's are worth it !

I'm gathering that there's no happy medium....I can't just whip the bastard out and start shooting....I have to slow folks down....unwrap my piece...and then shoot.....that's a major bummer unless I can find some kind of action sling for it.....P&S has it's surefire advantages, but I'm hooked on the capability of real glass....just looking for beta on protection and use in action situations.

parenting for gnarness
    put it inside your knee pads, you don't use em.

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    put it inside your knee pads, you don't use em.
    Don't hate me because I make you look purdy...as hard as that may be.....

EDR
    All you can do is use a ND or polarizing filter and don't change lenses in dusty conditions, the rest is a give and take. If you keep it accessible you risk damage in some way, if you keep it packed away you are not likely to use it much while actually riding. I think that lugging a dslr around is a commitment to photos and not as much to riding. I'm sure it's worth it if that is your goal for the day.

Look at the DSLR days as "photo" days and use a point and shoot for "riding" days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    All you can do is use a ND or polarizing filter and don't change lenses in dusty conditions, the rest is a give and take. If you keep it accessible you risk damage in some way, if you keep it packed away you are not likely to use it much while actually riding. I think that lugging a dslr around is a commitment to photos and not as much to riding. I'm sure it's worth it if that is your goal for the day.

Look at the DSLR days as "photo" days and use a point and shoot for "riding" days.
    +1 I think that thing shoots some K/A video as well looking forward to some spectacular posts!

mtbr member
    I have the Canon 20D and that thing is tougher than you'de expect. I've gone OTB with it in my camelbak with just a jersy wrapped around it. that was a few years back and it still fires no issues. My 3 & 4 yearr olds have used it.

As someone else said if you are going to be shooting it is a commitment to that more than riding. My camera bag is Lowpro drypro 200 and it works awesome to keep the water and sand out. I strapped the bag on and went wakeboarding with it. No Leaks! It's heavy and not fun to lug around. If I had to do it again I would pick up a smaller bag like the Drypro 100 or Dakine Photo Mission. Take fewer lenses with you that helps. You can always stack a cheap plastic ND Haze filter on top of your glass or the polarizer.

Whatever bag you get make sure it is supportive and has good straps. Sucks balls when you are tearing up trails and have the bag ziggin when you are zaggin.

If you want to try out a canon 70-200 4.0 or 1.8 IS, or Sigma 10-17 1.? or take a look at the lowpro let me know and we can hit the trails.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoyR6 View Post
    I have the Canon 20D and that thing is tougher than you'de expect. I've gone OTB with it in my camelbak with just a jersy wrapped around it. that was a few years back and it still fires no issues. My 3 & 4 yearr olds have used it.

As someone else said if you are going to be shooting it is a commitment to that more than riding. My camera bag is Lowpro drypro 200 and it works awesome to keep the water and sand out. I strapped the bag on and went wakeboarding with it. No Leaks! It's heavy and not fun to lug around. If I had to do it again I would pick up a smaller bag like the Drypro 100 or Dakine Photo Mission. Take fewer lenses with you that helps. You can always stack a cheap plastic ND Haze filter on top of your glass or the polarizer.

Whatever bag you get make sure it is supportive and has good straps. Sucks balls when you are tearing up trails and have the bag ziggin when you are zaggin.

If you want to try out a canon 70-200 4.0 or 1.8 IS, or Sigma 10-17 1.? or take a look at the lowpro let me know and we can hit the trails.
    Thanks for the offer and beta.....I'll keep you in mind...if I take you up on it, we'll have to ride together....I'd never want to borrow some glass and not at least repay the favor in some photo's of the enabler. As for packs...I'm already practiced in the rapid dismount, reach into pack via one arm unsling, tear the camera out of my current setup which is a 3/4 form factor (Sony alpha NEX-3 w/ standard 18-55 lens)....I'm hoping for something I can internally rig inside of my existing pack so that I can unsling one arm...unzip pack, unzip internal camera pouch and shoot.....I'm not worried about water....I'm not going wet with this thing....yet...and if that's the case, I'll dry bag it just like my previous cameras...which there is no way around easy access anyways...so the point becomes moot.

Meatbomb
    Lopro's are nice but a single use pack ... only good for camera gear. I have been searching for a pack that if camera AND travel friendly.... not so much for riding though.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Hey all....I've been slowly sucked into the world of photography via my blog and just recently took another leap and have ordered a Canon T1i. My question: How do some of you protect your glass when riding? My primary concern is dust. Thanks in advance for your beta.
    Since everything is all jacked up I'm not sure but I think this is the original post...

Putting your camera in any type of bag is going to control almost all the dust you need to worry about.

All your lenses should have a UV0 filter on them for protection. It's $20 or so and when it gets damaged or so filthy you can't clean it you replace it. Much cheaper than a new lens. None of my glass has never been touched by any type of brush or cleaning solvent because of this. You could use a ND or Polarizing filter as suggested but both of those are going to cause you to lose light. In some cases this is a desired effect. Many times it's not. I have both and put them on top of the UV0 when they are needed.

The Think Tank Holster someone else pointed out is a good option. I've got one but haven't taken it on an MTB ride yet. That would be your best option for protection and ease of access. And, ease of access is why I haven't brought my DSLR on any MTB rides. It's not like my little P&S I keep in my Osprey's waist belt pocket: Easy to get to. Plus, carrying a big DSLR & lens is heavy.

One of these Think Tank Belt Packs might be of use. I've got the Speed Freak and while it's probably too big for most MTB adventures it carries a lot of stuff comfortably. I've been thinking about buying a smaller version for hiking.

I've been itching to pull the trigger on one of these chest packs by Clik. They look promising but I need more camera bags like I need another rectum.

The last upgrade would be a serious camera made for abuse. I've put my 1D through plenty of torture and it still keeps rocking. Dunked it fully submerged in a creek and it took perfect pictures after retrieving it. It's not recommended but water & dust mean nothing to a heavy duty camera. But, they are expensive.

Meatbomb
    Anyone know who carries the Think Tank Holster in town ? I'd love to look at one of them.

workin' it Administrator
    clik bags makes a not inexpensive hydration pack with a padded easy access DSLR storage area.

http://www.clikelite.com/products/compact-sport/

It looks like it would be fast to get your camera in and out of.

I am using an older camelbak hawg with the helmet sling on the back and instead of a helmet i put my Lowe SLR bag in there and then my T1i. It is relatively convenient, padded to some extent from my body by the water bladder and the bag material plus the padded lowe case. I am looking for a way to retain it in there perhaps I might sew in some velcro but like all DIY project there is going to be some development but at least I had all the components for it already, just added the camera.

On a camera note, when you get yours let me know if you figure out how to get it from blowing the highlights that are so prevalent in our deserts, especially in high silica content rocks and trails.
    Try this: HTFU

drink coffee, ride.
    I carry the Nikon D40 with the 18-105 in a Tamrak Zoom 4. I modified my hydra pak to allow clips and carry it on my chest sorta like the clik link showed. I'm not particularly fond of the Zoom 4 case, it is easy to get out, using a single snap buckle, and it does protect the camera. The chest carry is the quickest to retrieve, but on techy trails gets in the way. Recently, in Fruita on Moore Fun, kept hitting the camera with the knees, so had to move it to the back.

On the protection of the Tamrak, I was carrying it in the back of my pack, and it took a jump out of the pack (user error). Tumbled down the trail beside me and as we both came to a stop, picked it up and most was fine. The UV filter was shattered, since I had the lens cap in the bottom of the case, but other than that I am still using and carrying.
    Dust? eh, just a hazard of carrying or use a prime so you don't use that airpump also known as a zoom. IMO, switching between lenses is where dust happens, not necessarily on the trail. I have a couple specs on the sensor, just set up an action in lightroom or aperture to auto remove on the images you want to keep, or send it in periodically for a clean.
    I am curious on the NEX3 though, I was looking at that trying to reduce the footprint I carry, but evidently you aren't as happy with it, or are looking for different perspective which is only granted by glass. The 16mm prime wasn't wide enough for some of the stuff I wanted. The 10-24 was all kinds of fun on the D40.

Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post

On a camera note, when you get yours let me know if you figure out how to get it from blowing the highlights that are so prevalent in our deserts, especially in high silica content rocks and trails.
    Mike Curiak has already given some beta on the highlight issue with Canon.....set the Exposure Compensation default value at -.7 or -1.0.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast