Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hell Track
    Aug 2007
    Great Dark Sky pic Durtgurl
    I'm an astronomy nerd. You captured the milky way quite nicely in the 6th one down.
    Nice stuff

Short-Change-Hero
    Great shots there DurtGirl!!! And I totally agree with the cheaper glass. I am an amateur at best but love to take the camera out and shoot, I am not the greatest "sports" or action photographer but I think that is more because landscape/scenery is something I have easy access too. I have been wanting to take my 20D out with me but worried on how to transport and really what bag to get.. What bag are you using and are you taking other lenses or just the one?

I am thinking of picking up a Camelbak NV/Mule/Charge 450 as my do-it-all bag. Thoughts?
    On-One Inbred 29er (Purple People Eater)
    Kona Jake
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for uploading! I've been looking for a 10-22mm lens for a long time.. but i guess wider and super cheap is just as well as zoom. Ordered one now

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Great shots there DurtGirl!!! And I totally agree with the cheaper glass. I am an amateur at best but love to take the camera out and shoot, I am not the greatest "sports" or action photographer but I think that is more because landscape/scenery is something I have easy access too. I have been wanting to take my 20D out with me but worried on how to transport and really what bag to get.. What bag are you using and are you taking other lenses or just the one?

I am thinking of picking up a Camelbak NV/Mule/Charge 450 as my do-it-all bag. Thoughts?
    I really like my Clik Elite Compact Sport for carrying the DSLR, a few extra lenses, bike gear, and water on the trail. I picked on up for $90 on eBay and have been very happy. Only thing is that I can't strap armor to the outside of the pack like I do on my Camelbak HAWG... yes, I DO take my big camera on rides needing armor! So on rides with the big camera, I just wear the armor the whole time... having armor on is better for getting the shots anyway as I'm always on using my knees and elbows trying to get the best camera angles.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by VegardSkorp View Post
    Thanks for uploading! I've been looking for a 10-22mm lens for a long time.. but i guess wider and super cheap is just as well as zoom. Ordered one now
    Awesome! Report back with some trail images...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Good Stuff

I can only go as wide as 16mm... but i will see what i can get.

My bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have been thinking about this lens as well. Have a Nikon D200 now with a Tokina 11-16, but I'd like to go wider. Anybody here by chance that went from the Tokina to the Rokinon?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    DurtGurl: I'll take your less than razor sharp shots on the merit of their compositions over something technically wonderful, but lacking in composition. Of course it would be great to have both, but you've told the story of what was happening just fine IMHO. I have (and have had) some very nice lenses, and I find myself wanting to use your inexpensive lens to hopefull capture something as coolas what you have posted here. It's not the arrow, it's the indian. Thanks for sharing.

My other ride is your mom
    I feel I've neglected myself for just having found this thread and having not been following along.....strong work DG.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Loving my Tonika 11mm is heaps of fun! More over at my folio - Auckland Outdoor Sports, Event & Stock Photographer - Paul Petch - New Zealand -

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Love the wide angle shots. How did you capture the shots where the bike is overhead? Where you under a ledge or jump and just waited for them to jump over you?

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by artkrime View Post
    Love the wide angle shots. How did you capture the shots where the bike is overhead? Where you under a ledge or jump and just waited for them to jump over you?
    Hey I was under the jump on my back. Here is another...

If you like my work- check out Facebook and LIKE my page.

https://www.facebook.com/paulpetch.outdoorphotography

Domesticfix
    Oct 2012
    Great shots!

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    I'm new to the big-camera scene - just got a Canon Rebel T3i and am having a blast with a Rokinon 8mm lens. Here are a few recent wide angle biking shots around AZ.
    Since starting this tread, I've bought a new camera, new lenses, and all sorts of new photography gadgets. But the T3i + 8mm still brings a great big grin to my face. Check out this 30-sec exposure from an almost full moon ride on Desert Classic at South Mountain park that I shot last night.

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    I'm new to the big-camera scene - just got a Canon Rebel T3i and am having a blast with a Rokinon 8mm lens. Here are a few recent wide angle biking shots around AZ.
    I just read this thread, and wanted to say that these photos are compositionally excellent. That's the hard part done! Technical execution can be learnt, but having an "eye" is a gift.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hi DurtGurl,

That last shot of yours is great, but watch out for things like those gloves, they look disproportionately large, out of place, and draw the eye in.

Keep it up.
    Al

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm View Post
    Hi DurtGurl,

That last shot of yours is great, but watch out for things like those gloves, they look disproportionately large, out of place, and draw the eye in.

Keep it up.
    Al
    Indeed... some people like the glove, others no. You're the first to cite a reason for it not fitting into the picture and I agree. thanks! Truth is, it was dark and I didn't even notice them in the shot. I planned it with the bike, but much of night shooting for me is just feeling it and guesswork.... and knowing your camera really really well!

I went out for another night ride this week where the sole purpose was to capture more night riding shots... Here is a shot of the "talent" waiting for us photographers to get set up.

On this no-moon evening, I found it much more difficult to get decent shots than the previous time with a nearly full moon overhead. For the shot below, I used my flash as a hand strobe to catch the rider mid-run. Used the T3i @ ISO100, 25 sec, and f-stop was shut way down at 16 or 22. Oh, and these shots were with the Rokinon 14mm... another fine manual lens which I got as the fisheye for the full frame 5D3.

The Badger
    Nice

saddlemeat
    Love the image of the talent, nice capture.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    DurtGurl, Well done, the ghosting looks great, takes me back a lot of years to when I set up people in different locations over multiple exposures on the same frame. Great fun.

I don't know if digi cameras allow multiple exposurs on a single frame. I'm intrigued myself now, I'll have to ask a few people!

Al

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm View Post
    DurtGurl, Well done, the ghosting looks great, takes me back a lot of years to when I set up people in different locations over multiple exposures on the same frame. Great fun.

I don't know if digi cameras allow multiple exposurs on a single frame. I'm intrigued myself now, I'll have to ask a few people!

Al
    Thanks Al!! My new Canon 5D Mark III does do multiple exposures, up to 9! It also does in-camera HDR.... needless to say, I'm having a blast with that camera! My Canon T3i, used to take all these wide angle shots, does not do multiple exposures.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for that, it's good to know.

Al

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eatsleeprunbike View Post
    Awesome shots! Seriously jealous. I need a fish eye lens.
    Ditto - awesome shots!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks to this thread, I just bought a Rokinon 8mm for my camera. Thanks for the inspiration DurtGurl!

Kathleen in AZ
    Went out this weekend with the T3i and the 14mm and caught some late afternoon action at the local pump/jump track.

B&H has been having great sales lately on their Rokinon/Bower lenses. Get one (or two or more) for cheap! I do not however recommend the 85mm f/1.4. It takes sharp colorful photos but the focus is super difficult. The 8mm and 14mm are awesome lenses, and much easier to focus. I do not have the 24mm but hear it is also a keeper.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast