Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dog's best friend
    May 2004

Photoshop .....or other software for PC?

Any recomendations for photo software, Windows PC? Total noob. Well,not quite, I cropped an image last week.

mtbr member
    How much do you want to spend, how much time are you willing to invest to learn and get good at the software and how powerful do you want it to be?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    I would like to correct for colour, contrast and sharpness. Crop and create presentations as well. Hope to spend $100 to 200.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Take a look at Adobe Lightroom 5. Its a great workflow tool for photographers and suits 95% of my photo editing needs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Airborne Flight Crew
    ^^^^^

I second the Lightroom suggestion. Used Photoshop for years before Lightroom was released, now I only use Photoshop when I actually need to "Photoshop" something (compost images, panoramas, etc...). Lightroom is fast and handy as it also catalogs everything.

There is a learning curve, but it's quite intuitive, much more than Photoshop or the Gimp (awful software imo).
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Totally forgot to mention there is a free trial for Lightroom. Test it out first and see if you like it. You can find it on Adobe's site.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker View Post
    I would like to correct for colour, contrast and sharpness. Crop and create presentations as well. Hope to spend $100 to 200.
    Geez, for this basic manipulation, just download Paint.net. It's free and does all that and more.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    May 2009
    One more for lightroom! Easy to use and can do just about anything you could want. Amazing program.

mtbr member
    I would only replace PS with LR if i shot everything in RAW (which i do) and could live without unsharp mask (i can't, lol). Problem for me is that i have been using PS since about version 4. Even though i barely use 5% of the full PS potential, i just can't get away from using it. I think the Elements version is starting to become a viable option for weekend photog's. You could try that one out as well for a lesser price than PS or LR.

That said, anyone shooting a LOT of images, RAW, and looking to streamline workflow Lightroom is widely regarded as the creme de la creme.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Adobe is giving away CS2 for free. It is old and may not work on your system but is free way to get used to PS.

Also, most cameras nowadays come with proprietary software that will do a fair amount of image manipulation. There are also free alternatives online. Personally, even though I have lightroom I spend 80% of my time in Camera Raw via Bridge and the other 20% in Photoshop.

Adobe - CS2 Downloads

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    I would only replace PS with LR if i shot everything in RAW (which i do) and could live without unsharp mask (i can't, lol). Problem for me is that i have been using PS since about version 4. Even though i barely use 5% of the full PS potential, i just can't get away from using it. I think the Elements version is starting to become a viable option for weekend photog's. You could try that one out as well for a lesser price than PS or LR.

That said, anyone shooting a LOT of images, RAW, and looking to streamline workflow Lightroom is widely regarded as the creme de la creme.
    Lightroom actually does have basically the same sharpening function as unsharp mask in Photoshop. . .unless you're looking at selectively sharpening, of course.

Anyway, for the basic photo processing you're talking about, even Lightroom is probably overkill (though it has many other benefits that I'm betting you'd appreciate). If you shoot Canon, the Digital Photo Professional software that comes with it is perfect for basic adjustments. For the presentation part, Lightroom does quite well, but I'm sure there are other cheaper programs out there as well.

So, I'd certainly recommend Lightroom, but it is far more than what you're saying you're looking for.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Thanks to all for your input. I'll use the basic Windows photo software, try CS2 and decide what to go with after I gain a bit more experience. I suspect Lightroom will offer more than I currently need but would be software that I could grow into as I develop my skills.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Photoshop has tons of advance features, but in basic terms its for folks who need to work with masks and layers. For example, perfectly separating foreground and background so that they can be processed differently.

Lightroom and Aperture (Apple's rough equivalent, although long in the tooth) do not provide layers or masks. You can brush affects into areas, which is a coarse approximation. Both of these products are Digital Asset Management systems, meaning that they facilitate building a tagged library with albums, smart collections, etc. And they offer non-destructive editing. Either will do far more than you asked for. But if you don't want to manage your library with Digital Asset Management software, then either of these are simply a poor match IMHO.

Other low cost and free options have been mentioned by others above. Including the software that typically comes bundled with cameras. And of course there's Picasa...

mtbr member
    Gimp is free and decently powerful.

saddlemeat
    This is a great way to try PS and LR for a year for a reasonable price. FYI.

https://creative.adobe.com/plans/off...shop+lightroom
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

Of the Nameless Rabble
    Feb 2011
    Often a camera will come with some type of image-manipulation software right in the box. These days most of them are pretty decent. It's a no-cost option that will give you the ability to make decent, necessary corrections and get a feel for software of this type. If the software is not included, there sometimes is an offer from the camera manufacturer that allows you to acquire it or download it at a deep, deep discount.

I like this place

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Adobe has Creative Cloud subscriptions for just Photoshop for $10 per month. CC is the latest way to prevent software piracy. I am still on CS6, I recently got a free CC subscription but haven't started it yet. People who come from a photography background seem to like Lightroom but I am a diehard photoshopper, I wouldn't use anything else. I wouldn't waste time with Elements. You can use Gimp for free. (get what you pay for)

CS6 will also do video . Most of the modern DSLR cameras will take great video footage, so you can cut and splice things together in photoshop. You can also edit time lapse from your DSLR or Gopro. Audio is a whole nother topic.

saddlemeat
    ^With that link I posted above, for $10 a month you can get bOth PS and LR. Offer ends Dec. 31 though.

I went from CS4 to CC, lots of new features for sure. 3D, animation, video capabilities you mentioned, more I'm sure.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k.b. View Post
    Adobe has Creative Cloud subscriptions for just Photoshop for $10 per month. CC is the latest way to prevent software piracy. I am still on CS6, I recently got a free CC subscription but haven't started it yet. People who come from a photography background seem to like Lightroom but I am a diehard photoshopper, I wouldn't use anything else. I wouldn't waste time with Elements. You can use Gimp for free. (get what you pay for)

CS6 will also do video . Most of the modern DSLR cameras will take great video footage, so you can cut and splice things together in photoshop. You can also edit time lapse from your DSLR or Gopro. Audio is a whole nother topic.
    Why wouldn't you "waste time" with Elements? Unless you need pro level manipulation, Elements (both PS and Premier) are quite capable. And getting them both for ~$100 makes it pretty darn affordable, too.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Why wouldn't you "waste time" with Elements? Unless you need pro level manipulation, Elements (both PS and Premier) are quite capable. And getting them both for ~$100 makes it pretty darn affordable, too.
    I guess I do "pro level manipulation" then, maybe because I teach photoshop (to high school kids). I am addicted to all of the features. I do 3d, I do video, I render, I do complex masks and channels, I do liquefy, I do Raw adustments (I know, so does Lightroom). I do smart objects, I stress out my i7, 64 bit processor/16gig memory on a regular basis. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k.b. View Post
    I guess I do "pro level manipulation" then, maybe because I teach photoshop (to high school kids). I am addicted to all of the features. I do 3d, I do video, I render, I do complex masks and channels, I do liquefy, I do Raw adustments (I know, so does Lightroom). I do smart objects, I stress out my i7, 64 bit processor/16gig memory on a regular basis. YMMV.
    The OP just wants basic capability. I'm somewhere in the middle and think that Elements is ideal for what I do. We do have a nice DSLR that shoots RAW, but it's my wife's and at the moment, I shoot mostly with my tough camera. Maybe down the road I'll start messing with RAW images and need to step up to either Lightroom or the full PS, but for now Elements lets me do what I need with both my tough camera pictures and my Contour helmet cam.

And like I said, having bought the pair for $90, it's a great value!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    PAINT.NET free

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker View Post
    Any recomendations for photo software, Windows PC? Total noob. Well,not quite, I cropped an image last week.
    Photoshop Elements would be your best choice. It's got more than you need, and is affordable.
    I call him free who is led solely by reason. (Baruch Spinoza)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I use RawTherapee (RawTherapee Downloads) for raw conversion and Gimp (GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program) for manipulation. Both free and open source.

I build my own.
    PhotoScape. Free. You'll never learn image manipulation with it because everything is automatic but for free and for a beginner you'll have a hard time beating it.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast