Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Bicycle Obsessed
    Reputation: jpettit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    96

    Photos of my Surly Pugsley

    Finally got a chance to take the new bike out for for 'glamour shots'. Photos were taken at Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park just north of Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

    Surly Pugsley - a set on Flickr


    surly pugsley - lookout by johnpettit, on Flickr


    surly pugsley - lonely tree by johnpettit, on Flickr


    surly pugsley - front end by johnpettit, on Flickr


    surly pugsley - valley by johnpettit, on Flickr


    surly pugsley - grassland by johnpettit, on Flickr


    surly pugsley - rear end by johnpettit, on Flickr


    surly pugsley - fatties fit fine by johnpettit, on Flickr

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    736
    Great photos and sweet bike!

  3. #3
    Bicycle Obsessed
    Reputation: jpettit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    96
    Thanks! It's taken me a few months to get all the parts together and build it up.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    290
    Just curious, but was there much post processing done on the pictures? The colors look amazing! What kind of camera/settings did you use?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    191
    Wow, that clean white pugs really looks great against the backdrop there!
    SE Racing Stout 29er

  6. #6
    Bicycle Obsessed
    Reputation: jpettit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by lost27 View Post
    Just curious, but was there much post processing done on the pictures? The colors look amazing! What kind of camera/settings did you use?
    A little bit, but not much at all. The colours are more or less what came out of the camera and they are all uncropped. You can see the difference in white balance between a couple of them (I was playing with some of the camera settings). Those 2 photos also didn't have a polarizing filter on the lens.

    I used my Canon 30D.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,244
    I like your photography skills, but I would not characterize that sky as lighly pp.

  8. #8
    saddlemeat
    Reputation: bsieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,480
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    I like your photography skills, but I would not characterize that sky as lighly pp.
    Hehe. That's how the skies are nw New Mexico too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photos of my Surly Pugsley-hdt-1.jpg  

    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

  9. #9
    Bicycle Obsessed
    Reputation: jpettit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    I like your photography skills, but I would not characterize that sky as lighly pp.
    i guess the problem is the definition of 'lightly'. i increased the brightness and upped the saturation maybe +5. you should come to alberta...we have amazing blue skies all year round! part of the reason the sky is such a deep blue is the polarizing filter on the lens. that tends to make the sky bluer and the clouds whiter.

    Creating Dark Blue Sky with Polarizer Filter | Photography tips and tricks, Equipment, Photography News, Photography Books, Tutorial, and Lighting - OneSlidePhotography.com

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broomhandle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    780
    I use a 30D as well and i cant get any colors to look right, they are always un saturated and washed out. What lense are you using?

    becasue i agree, sweet shots and colors are great if no PS was used!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,244
    There is nothing wrong with postprocess.

    Vast majority of flower/landscape shots you see on web have their colors way dialed up. PP is mandatory for these shots on any camera. If you think your colors are washed out, PP basics (lightroom) is all you need.

    If you're not shooting raw, you're not seeing your sensor's true color anyway. Depending on the manufacturer, shooting jpg puts pretty heavily processing in by the camera's built in sensory (increased contrast, black levels, and colors dialed up as well).

    to get an idead of how much pp makes a difference
    need 10 posts for link

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,244

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broomhandle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    780
    Yes, I know about PS used since 2.0. I worked for Adobe for awhile....

    Im asking about the camera settings and what lense. and not using raw.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broomhandle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    780
    Yeah, i saw that. But there are also settings in the camera. ie neutral, sat etc... and pol filter helps a ton..

    and, lense has everything to do with it!!!!!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,244
    my mistake

    Quote Originally Posted by jpettit View Post
    i guess the problem is the definition of 'lightly'. i increased the brightness and upped the saturation maybe +5. you should come to alberta...we have amazing blue skies all year round! part of the reason the sky is such a deep blue is the polarizing filter on the lens. that tends to make the sky bluer and the clouds whiter.

    Creating Dark Blue Sky with Polarizer Filter | Photography tips and tricks, Equipment, Photography News, Photography Books, Tutorial, and Lighting - OneSlidePhotography.com

  16. #16
    saddlemeat
    Reputation: bsieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,480
    Quote Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
    Yeah, i saw that. But there are also settings in the camera. ie neutral, sat etc... and pol filter helps a ton..

    and, lense has everything to do with it!!!!!
    You can definitely post process in the camera, things like saturation, sharpening, etc. depending on your camera. Just try them out and use what suits your purpose. Generally though, if you are going to pp, you will set your camera to produce a low contrast unsaturated image with a full width histogram and apply no other processing. So you kind of have to decide and set you camera accordingly. Both work well depending on your needs. This is a jpg work flow, just to be clear.

    Yeah, lenses contribute certain qualities to an image but they do not make the image. All kinds of images of all levels of technical quality are used all the time in all kinds of media. The lens is a brush with certain qualities to contribute and should be chosen accordingly, but it doesn't contribute nearly as much as the photographer's eye or the quality of light. Experience with your gear is what produces good quality images. A lens is not even a necessary accessory for creating photos with a dslr. A lens is a fancy hole.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    130
    The shots were well taken and staged. the only one i was not really feeling was surly pugsley - front end, the focus point on the fork with the tire dead center really took away from what could have been a great photo If the tire was turned the other way would have made for a much better photo. Also if your not shooting in raw your leaving a lot on the table for what the camera can do. There is no difference between processing a raw image and old developing tricks just using different tools. Keep the shutter clicking you've got a very good eye.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broomhandle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    780
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    You can definitely post process in the camera, things like saturation, sharpening, etc. depending on your camera. Just try them out and use what suits your purpose. Generally though, if you are going to pp, you will set your camera to produce a low contrast unsaturated image with a full width histogram and apply no other processing. So you kind of have to decide and set you camera accordingly. Both work well depending on your needs. This is a jpg work flow, just to be clear.

    Yeah, lenses contribute certain qualities to an image but they do not make the image. All kinds of images of all levels of technical quality are used all the time in all kinds of media. The lens is a brush with certain qualities to contribute and should be chosen accordingly, but it doesn't contribute nearly as much as the photographer's eye or the quality of light. Experience with your gear is what produces good quality images. A lens is not even a necessary accessory for creating photos with a dslr. A lens is a fancy hole.
    yes, i know about the camera settings. I guess i should have just not posted on this forum.

    and yes, the photo eye is most important. but a lense can show what the eye is seeing, and show quality, and make things more life like. and profesional.

    if you compare it to a brush, its like having a really fine brush vrs a kids crap brush that i wouldnt even consider a brush.


    i was asking because i am new to the 30d. my camera was stolen and all i can afford right now is a 30d body.

    so, no worries on this forum.....

  19. #19
    Bicycle Obsessed
    Reputation: jpettit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
    yes, i know about the camera settings. I guess i should have just not posted on this forum.

    and yes, the photo eye is most important. but a lense can show what the eye is seeing, and show quality, and make things more life like. and profesional.

    if you compare it to a brush, its like having a really fine brush vrs a kids crap brush that i wouldnt even consider a brush.


    i was asking because i am new to the 30d. my camera was stolen and all i can afford right now is a 30d body.

    so, no worries on this forum.....
    I'd recommend playing with the settings of the camera. The 30D has a bunch of presets that can be altered to your liking (increase contrast, saturation, b+w, etc). This will 'shortcut' you having to do the processing in post. I'd also look at using some filters on your lense. My shots were using a polarizing filter. This, under the right light conditions, make certain parts of the spectrum pop and whites more white. Google some info on polarizing filters.

  20. #20
    Bicycle Obsessed
    Reputation: jpettit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Irongrave View Post
    The shots were well taken and staged. the only one i was not really feeling was surly pugsley - front end, the focus point on the fork with the tire dead center really took away from what could have been a great photo If the tire was turned the other way would have made for a much better photo. Also if your not shooting in raw your leaving a lot on the table for what the camera can do. There is no difference between processing a raw image and old developing tricks just using different tools. Keep the shutter clicking you've got a very good eye.
    Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it!

  21. #21
    saddlemeat
    Reputation: bsieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,480
    Quote Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
    yes, i know about the camera settings. I guess i should have just not posted on this forum.

    and yes, the photo eye is most important. but a lense can show what the eye is seeing, and show quality, and make things more life like. and profesional.

    if you compare it to a brush, its like having a really fine brush vrs a kids crap brush that i wouldnt even consider a brush.


    i was asking because i am new to the 30d. my camera was stolen and all i can afford right now is a 30d body.

    so, no worries on this forum.....
    I don't think you get it, or else you don't have much experience... but I could be wrong. I have been selling prints and images for more than 40 years, created with a variety of photo equipment and printing techniques. I have shot photos through a wide variety of lenses. Why do you think I and others like me are naive? Equipment is no barrier (or bridge) to quality images, I wish it were that simple. What you associate with lens quality is more than likely just a flavor of post processing unless you work in a very specialized photography world. If you do I would love to hear about it.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ChetPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    20
    Great pics. Love the contrast of the white frame and the background. Looks good.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broomhandle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    780
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    I don't think you get it, or else you don't have much experience... but I could be wrong. I have been selling prints and images for more than 40 years, created with a variety of photo equipment and printing techniques. I have shot photos through a wide variety of lenses. Why do you think I and others like me are naive? Equipment is no barrier (or bridge) to quality images, I wish it were that simple. What you associate with lens quality is more than likely just a flavor of post processing unless you work in a very specialized photography world. If you do I would love to hear about it.


    Holy F. really?

    I have been in the photo world for about 30 years. I know about pol filters etc... i was asking about the 30D settings. i am new to a old 30d. thats all..... i was asking about pre PSD. i am a huge Photoshop fan as well.

    as lenses go, i have used leica and zeiss for a very long time, i took a long break from digital/photo. for about 7 years or whenever the 5D came out, i bought a cheapie TLis or something, canon and it got stolen, luckly my lenses were not, but it was a photo let down.....

    i am getting back into it with a 30D and just had a question.

    but thank you for attacking me and thinking you are naive..... thats awesome. thanks....
    Last edited by broomhandle; 03-19-2012 at 09:49 AM.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    26
    Amazing pictures

  25. #25
    Rides Uphill Slow
    Reputation: The Hookler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    447
    Gallup? Those flags look awfully familiar.
    I'm here for the downhill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •