Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Photographers - digital camera recommendations - DSLR

What would you recommend in a digial camera - DSLR? I have a Canon P&S, but want a DSLR for more options. I've always liked Canon and Nikon. I will probably buy something used off Ebay. I like taking nature, outdoors, and travel photography. My budget, probably
    $350-$650. Thank you

Cycling for Life
    There are as many right answers to that question as wrong ones - as many different suggestions as there are individuals using this forum.
    A few suggestions Id make; stick with a big name brand (canon, Nikon, etc.).
    Make sure it uses a memory system (card) format that is not being discontinued anytime soon.
    Make sure you are able to get an extra battery for it.
    While a large number of mega-pixels is nice, the lens taking the picture is probably more important- fortunately these can be upgraded later.
    The (relatively) new Image Stabilization technology in the lensí is pretty handy, especially for us that donít generally pack a tripod everywhere.

Getting a good camera body that works well for you is important, all the other stuff can be upgraded later. Start watching Craigslist and visiting larger camera shops that sell used equipment to get a feel for what you like.

Pedaler of dirt
    Can't go wrong with canon or nikon, but $650 is going to be tough to get a body and a good lens.

If you're shooting nature them you're going to want something at least 200mm.

But if you like the great outdoors, then maybe a wide angle.

Tamron make a nice 18-270mm lens, but it starts at around $500.

If you're stuck with the price range I'd look at an all in one like a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    +1 on Craigslist.

If it's your first dslr, buy used. I picked up a 4 year old (I think) Canon 350D with a 18-55mm lense for 300 bucks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I love my Pentax gear. You can get a great k-x with an 18-50 and 55-300 kit for under $500. These are great in low light but not weather resistant. If you shoot mostly in the daylight I would highly recommend a Pentax k10 or k20 which are both weather sealed and can be had for 300 for the k10 and 500 for the k20 and both are "prosumer" level bodies.

See my Flickr gallery for some examples of the work.

Flickr: KeithB1972's Photostream

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I've used Nikon gear for 22 years so I will admit a bias here! That said, Canon does make good stuff; I find Nikon to have the superior interface, making it easier to use all the features. Your budget for a DSLR is quite low, for new gear, anyway, but I think you could score a decent used camera within that range. My first DSLR was a Nikon D200 w/ 18-200VR lens, and it was great. I moved to the D700 only because I wanted to use old FX lenses like the 16mm and the 600mm and wanted the better low-light performance it offered at the time. I think you could source a D200 or D300 w/ 18-200VR for somewhere around your budget if you scour online. If you were going new, I would suggest the D7000 as it has excellent features and could be a camera for life. You can check out the shots I've taken with both cameras at my site: http://www.fradale.net/

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    One of the things that you need to take into account if buying a 2nd hand DSLR is checking that the shutter count on the camera is still relatively low. You wouldn't want to buy a 2nd hand DSLR that is coming to the end of the shutter life. If you have to replace the shutter you would have been better-off buying a new camera.

I have a Canon 40D that has a manufacturer's advised maximum shutter count of 150,000 exposures. I need to download the small free program 'EOSInfo' to determine the exact shutter count. I'm guessing I'm somewhere between 25-30,000 exposures taken, in the past 3 years. A 40D with this sort of exposure count, I think would be a good buy for a camera body.

The 40D uses the APS-C system, which isn't full frame, but the picture quality is very good even with basic lenses. I only have kit lenses and I'm happy with the results ... WildWassa on deviantART

The square format is my preferred cropping of the camera's rectangular image.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 09-05-2011 at 01:03 AM.

Scofflaw
    Last edited by flipr; 09-05-2011 at 05:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have a Panasonic gf1 micro 4/3 camera. It has a sensor that's almost as large as a dslr but in the size of a point and shoot. There's quite a few lenses available for it as well.

You could prob get a used Panny gf1 for real cheap on ebay.......

Still learnin'
    Just depends on what you want to do. Ditto on the Nikon-Cannon comments. Either are great. I have owned both.

Now... If you just want snapshots... Just stick with a point and shoot. If you want to push your limits, I'd suggest waiting and saving a little more cash. The LENS will be the most important part of this purchase. Whatever you get, make sure it comes with decent glass.

Remember, a good lens will take nice pictures even on an inexpensive camera, BUT, a crappy lens will take crappy pictures even using the best camera that there is. There is a LOT of crap glass floating around out there... Even the name brands make cheap crap with lots of distortion.

Save up, and do it right the first time. It's cheaper that way. I don't mean save up $3000... But I doubt you will end up happy at your target price range.

Lots of advice here: Digital Grin Photography Forum - Powered by vBulletin
    Gear up, flaps up, feet up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'd recommend getting a refurbished body/lens combo from the Canon store. Even better, if you have an old Canon camera (anything, doesn't have to be a dSLR- just buy one cheap off CL or Ebay) you can get an additional 20% off their refurbed prices. I'm pretty sure this means something like a Canon T2i plus the ever-popular 18-55 IS lens for around $500... can't beat that deal.

If it's specifically for biking (or if you at least plan on using it for that), I'd recommend one of the smaller bodies like the XS, XSi, or T2i... much lighter and easier to pack on a ride.

I personally use a Canon 50D along with my new/used do-it-all lens, the Sigma 18-125mm OS. However, I also use my 50D for portrait pictures, landscapes, and skiing shots (6.5 fps is very nice).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Look into micro four thirds format cameras.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Newly converted Sony Alpha user here. Sold my Nikon d80 a while ago and went with the Sony A55. Love it. You could get a Sony a35 with 18-55 lens, 16 MP, HD video with continuous auto focus (translucent mirror), 7 frames per second, and the ability to shoot hdr images built in. No computer software required. 630 bucks brand new.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0370684

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

workin' it Administrator
    I got a T1i used with the canon 18-55mm lens. It is perfect for mountain biking, light, compact and good pictures. If you watch craigslist and ebay you might come across one for a good deal. There a lot of scams out there in craigslist land with cameras so be aware and ebay can escalate prices to near MSRP for a used camera.

Alternately check out costco or the package deals from sites like adorama. You might have to go over your budget a bit but you get a new camera, sometimes a couple of lenses, extra batteries, filters cases etc.
    Try this: HTFU

psycho cyclo addict
    Don't think you can go wrong with either Canon or Nikon. I bought a used Nikon D5000 that came with 18-55 and 55-200 DX lenses and it's been awesome (a bit of overkill for me but the price was impossible to turn down). Nikon cameras focus accurately/quickly and are known for durability as well...

Enjoyin' life....
    I'm a Nikon guy, switched from Canon back when film was in vogue. I'd look at a D5100 package w/18-55 zoom which will run you a bit more than $650 but its worth it. Save up and buy yourself a decent zoom or better yet get a nice prime (or 2) in the focal length(s) you like and use your feet to "zoom". I own some of Nikon's better zooms and have gone back to just using one or two primes - they are much lighter and it takes some exception zoom glass to beat the IQ. Translate to very expensive and heavy zoom glass to beat a prime.

In the Nikon world check out the 50mm 1.8, or 35mm 1.8. If you like some close up stuff save for a 60mm micro 2.8 which is also a decent portrait lens. If you are really stuck on a zoom and need a wide angle checkout a Tokina 12-24mm zoom. The best cheaper long zoom I have played with is theNikon 70-300mm. Good luck.
    Wally

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If you find a deal on it used or want to consider expanding your budget a bit, the Canon 18-135 is a killer walk around lens & comes as a kit lens in t3i's, 60D's and on up. I've got a 60D that I freaking love but I think even used it's going to break your budget. Once you use an 18-135 lens though, you'll never want to put an 18-55 back on your camera.

Look at the time!
    Once you use an 18-135 lens though, you'll never want to put an 18-55 back on your camera.
    That depends if you shoot Canon or Nikon. The Canon 18-55 is not very good.
    Nikon's 18-55 on the other hand is a very competent lens. Tack sharp, working image stabilization, tiny, light and dirt cheap. Obivously not the right choice to shoot wild animals in the dark, but other than that it is actually a very useful general purpose lens (I can't recommend Nikons 18-135mm though, I used to have one and it's definitely the weakest of the 18-xx zooms Nikon makes).

Most people only have the 18-55s because they came with the camera, but I actually bought a new one recently as a lightweight option. Great for biking/hiking/climbing sort of stuff, whenever I can't carry my bigger wide-angle. It has no optical flaws, and if I smash it I'm only out $80. The only real nuissance are the rotating filter threads, makes it harder to use grads or polarizers.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    ah yes, good point...I can't speak for Nikons because I've never shot with 'em, their 18-55 might be the bomb. But the Canon 18-135 is oh so purdy. Believe it or not, I occasionally borrow the 24-70 L glass from work when I go to some events, and find myself switching back to my 18-135 cheap-o kit lens before too long because I miss the extra flexibility in focal lengths & the contrast & clarity are THAT good, it can seriously almost keep up with the L glass that costs 5x as much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    keh.com usually has a good picking of used cameras and is good to deal with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The cool thing about DSLR cameras are that you can buy cheap camera to start, just get nice glass. As you upgrade your camera, you keep the lenses. I started with cheap Canon Rebel XT, then switched to a T1i when they were new. Now there are better, but I'll stay with the T1i for a while. I have some decent canon zoom lenses, but nothing beats primes... and if you really get into photography you'll probably end up with some. Tamron makes some decent lenses, I have my eye on the 200-500 mm zoom, but it's like $1000 new and I don't know if I want to spend that on a tamron. I have some pretty expensive Canon primes, but at least they are made by Canon...

Anyhow, I have used both Nikon and Canons and they are pretty much comparable (don't flame me for tha). I personally started buying Canon lense so now have to stay with Canon unless I want to start all over.

mtbr member
    I second keh.com. I've had good experiences selling and buying from them.

mtbr member
    Love my Nikon D90! Should be able to find them used by now.

Adam
    Adam ē Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have larger hands, and have always needed a pro sized DSLR w/ battery grip. Although the Nikon D200 is older tech, it is a very nice camera, and does great when the light it there. I would choose Nikon also because you can pick up old lenses, both auto focus and manual focus (Canon guys are buying them left and right too!!) for pretty cheap, and have lots of fun. Start out with a nice camera, and one lens....then continue to build as you can.

Texan
    I recently sold my Canon 7D and wish I didn't, but I just didn't use it that much. I found myself using the P&S quit a bit more. I ended up splitting the difference with a Canon SX30IS and it's a pretty good camera.

Amazon.com: Canon SX30IS 14.1MP Digital Camera with 35x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7 Inch Wide LCD: Camera & Photo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast