middle ring single track

Photobucket effed up

Anybody else who uses Photobucket having problems?

I have a paid-for upgrade account and can't get any answers from them.

It looks like they stopped my subscription so they can force me to buy a more expensive one.

Well on my way to using a different service to store my photos.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

Merendon Junkie
    They resized all of the images I had stored with them. I stopped using it after that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I think if you use a service like flikr or photobucket or others you better be prepared for changes to their service or them charging for it.
    I use flikr but I also keep copies of my digital images.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I didn't log into Photobucket for a little while, like all of last year maybe, and when I logged in earlier this year it was super slow. Still is, real laggy and doing anything takes a lot of time. Seems like they're running out of server storage or computing space and that's probably why they're pushing for paid accounts. That's the only problem I noticed though. I have a paid account, I wanted the storage before. As a hosting site, they work fine for me I guess. I don't want to muddy up my Flickr site so I'll probably continue to use them.

occ member
    I hate Pee-bucket, but I use it since imgur doesn't work here.

Hoping someone knows of a better free image hosting site.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ped View Post
    Anybody else who uses Photobucket having problems?

I have a paid-for upgrade account and can't get any answers from them.

It looks like they stopped my subscription so they can force me to buy a more expensive one.

Well on my way to using a different service to store my photos.
    Moe Ped, G'day.

I fully appreciate your frustration with Photobucket. When I had premium membership with PB, I was happy with how my images were stored. I wasn't close to using the premium storage allocation allotted, (I was only at about 3% storage with 2000+ images). This year I haven't renewed my premium membership, and now my images have been dumbed down by Photobucket.

Here is an example. The image is of the wooden cycle path below the trees at Wolgonga Inlet, on the South Coast of New South Wales in Oz, on the Great South Coast Track. The light on the water originally had smooth and subtle values, when I uploaded it. It is now a roughly pixel abortion of the original. As for the wooden cycle path, it is now almost invisible, rendered non existent. All of my images have been dumbed down.

This is how the shot now appears on Photobucket ... hvhghdfdxg_zps0c9dda53.jpg Photo by WildWassa | Photobucket

I know Photobucket are dumbing down the quality, because I've posted images on DeviantArt and they remain exactly the way that I posted them.

I'm thinking about where to go next. If you have future ideas, please let me know.

Warren.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    here is the latest review I could find for sharing sites: The 10 Best Online Photo Storage and Sharing Sites of 2017

I would go with the assumption that things will change up to and including it will go away.

I liked facebook for sharing photos and adventures but it became a sewer of political and emotional trauma and drama so I quit it.

mtbr member
    I have been abandoning Photobucket. Actually moving a lot of my photos to pinkbike.com (mainly because pinkbike forums don't allow photo hotlinking to various sites anymore).

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Wassa View Post
    Moe Ped, G'day.

I fully appreciate your frustration with Photobucket. When I had premium membership with PB, I was happy with how my images were stored. I wasn't close to using the premium storage allocation allotted, (I was only at about 3% storage with 2000+ images). This year I haven't renewed my premium membership, and now my images have been dumbed down by Photobucket.

Here is an example. The image is of the wooden cycle path below the trees at Wolgonga Inlet, on the South Coast of New South Wales in Oz, on the Great South Coast Track. The light on the water originally had smooth and subtle values, when I uploaded it. It is now a roughly pixel abortion of the original. As for the wooden cycle path, it is now almost invisible, rendered non existent. All of my images have been dumbed down.

This is how the shot now appears on Photobucket ... hvhghdfdxg_zps0c9dda53.jpg Photo by WildWassa | Photobucket

I know Photobucket are dumbing down the quality, because I've posted images on DeviantArt and they remain exactly the way that I posted them.

I'm thinking about where to go next. If you have future ideas, please let me know.

Warren.
    Yep just today they caught up with my "3rd party postings" so the 1000's of photos I shared elsewhere are showing that image.

They want $400 yearly to go forward with 3rd party. No Way.

F PB.

mtbr member
    Yep just today they caught up with my "3rd party postings" so the 1000's of photos I shared elsewhere are showing that image.

They want $400 yearly to go forward with 3rd party. No Way.

F PB.
    Yep same here, I have a buttload of pictures out there on the web and they say this same thing now.

Is it the 3rd party one for $400 or the $100 image linking one to make it work? Still not liking $100 BS FU PB.
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    2015 Ghost Kato 5 (bikepacker)
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

occ member
    I won't give them one cent!

They can keep all those crappy memes I made, lol!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I won't give them one cent!

They can keep all those crappy memes I made, lol!
    Sucks because I have big ass 10 page build thread on my Jeep and now there's no pictures! And pretty much all the pictures I posted here too.
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    1988ish GT Mach One

occ member
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    Sucks because I have big ass 10 page build thread on my Jeep and now there's no pictures! And pretty much all the pictures I posted here too.
    You don't have those pics saved somewhere else? That would be a bummer. We had a similar issue with imgur, which stopped allowing mtbr to hot-link their images. I haven't got the time to go back to all those and edit them, same with all the Poobucket pics.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    You don't have those pics saved somewhere else? That would be a bummer. We had a similar issue with imgur, which stopped allowing mtbr to hot-link their images. I haven't got the time to go back to all those and edit them, same with all the Poobucket pics.
    Yeah I have them on external hard drives but it would so be a PITA to find and replace all of them on the interwebs.

Hopefully it will just be a hack like mentioned in the other thread. Photobucket stops hosting images on 3rd party sites
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    1988ish GT Mach One

occ member
    Yeah I have them on external hard drives but it would so be a PITA to find and replace all of them on the interwebs.

Hopefully it will just be a hack like mentioned in the other thread. Photobucket stops hosting images on 3rd party sites
    Yeah, what a pain in the arse they caused! People have been using them since 2003, so I'm sure that image Wild Wassa posted will become a common sight on the interwebs. Glad you've got those images backed up.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/354711/ph...s-the-internet

middle ring single track

Not likely; their Face Book and Twitter feeds tell the same story. Somebody at PB has delusions of grandeur and has made the worst policy changes EVER!

For safe storage I can buy 5 one terabyte hard drives and make my own server farm for what they're charging for a year's service.

Quintuple redundancy except for nuclear EMP in which case it doesn't matter any more.

Co Springs
    The plea to update the account for 3rd party hosting wouldn't sound so bad if it weren't coming from 1st Party Whoring.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, I highly recommend SmugMug. Super easy to use, looks great, and the social media and forum linking couldn't be easier.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I just found this as a quick fix for Photobucket images...Easy to use and pretty efficient...I have updated a bunch of messed up images so far with no issues...

For reference, I originally found it here:
    Fix Blocked PhotoBucket Images for Free

See the below quote for the image that has been replaced with the "Speedometer Error" above...

Moe Ped, G'day.

Warren.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJesusfreak View Post
    I just found this as a quick fix for Photobucket images...Easy to use and pretty efficient...I have updated a bunch of messed up images so far with no issues...

For reference, I originally found it here:
    Fix Blocked PhotoBucket Images for Free

See the below quote for the image that has been replaced with the "Speedometer Error" above...
    Thanks for the link.

It works! Although I read the FAQs I must admit that I don't totally understand how.

Virtual smoke and mirrors; this is why the Internet is a dangerous place.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks for the link.

It works! Although I read the FAQs I must admit that I don't totally understand how.

Virtual smoke and mirrors; this is why the Internet is a dangerous place.
    As I understand it, his app copies the image from the Photobucket server directly and saves it to an Amazon S3 account he has set up, then it generates a new img link for you...

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

middle ring single track
    Photobucket is hard at work trying to break the fixphotobucket dot com site. Photobucket is messing with the ability to download from Photobucket. The very first photo I converted is now "unconverted" Some later ones are still OK. Oddly a couple of photos I did not convert are now posting with out the "Upgrade for Third party..." overlay. Very odd.

I was quietly downloading some of my folders from Photobucket and then deleting them @ PB; PB caught on to this the today and now the downloaded folder is just a "bomb" linking back to there marketing site.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    If they are blocking people from getting their images out on top of this, expect some major legal intervention. Holding "personal property hostage" to force payment of a rediculous amount in the way they have done this is very much illegal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for ITUO and Ravemen:
    www.rakcindustries.com

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    If they are blocking people from getting their images out on top of this, expect some major legal intervention. Holding "personal property hostage" to force payment of a rediculous amount in the way they have done this is very much illegal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I can still download images individually; I cannot download folders. I haven't looked to see if a bulk download function is available.

I expect to see talk of a class-action lawsuit soon. But if PB is close to bankrupt it won't go anywhere. PB is behaving like there's no tomorrow.

mtbr member
    I've used them since they were pretty new. Now I'm done with them because I am not paying money to link my photos with a forum. There are other free sites you can still do that with and I just joined two of them.

mtbr member
    Whoever made the decision at PB should be fired immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Moe Ped, G'day.

Photobucket has a 0% chance of getting $39.95 per month from me.
    I need to find a new site.
    What are the other choices for adding photos to our posts?

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    Photobucket has a 0% chance of getting $39.95 per month from me.
    I need to find a new site.
    What are the other choices for adding photos to our posts?
    There's lots of alternatives out there; I've been using Flickr recently. But for MTBR I've just been uploading images directly.

In other news I finally found a way to renew my original Photobucket Plus 20 subscription via a secure site. (My images are still locked from 3rd party access but everything else about my account is functional again)

Following one of PB's "Get 100GB of more storage" pop-ups took me to my original subscription and I just followed through from there ignoring the upgrade.

middle ring single track
    Now that my paid account is squared away as far as storage goes I got an email from Photobucket proclaiming that I have the "wrong" account and that I need to upgrade to the $400 "3rd party hosting" account.

Guess what? The answer is still NO.

Comes to mind that it's costing them bandwidth to send out their "speedometer" so let's keep this 3rd party thing on a roll: