mtbr member

Pentax Optio WG-1, why does mine suck?

Hey guys. i bought this camera so when i go out on rides i can take it with me and snap a couple shots if i see something worth photographing. i just charged it up and started snapping away and was alarmed at how awful the pictures came out. I'm not just being picky, i took a couple comparisons by taking the same picture in several modes with the Optio, then the same picture with my phone (Mytouch 4g Slide, 8mp) and the phone blew them out of the water. then i tried to take a 10 sec or so video clip (which i will upload in a minute) on the highest quality setting and it car out HORRENDOUS... i'll go snap a couple more pictures and post them up.

do you think this is a fluke? this camera gets exceptional reviews.

mtbr member
    video

Pictures

Fartographer
    I've found the Pentax video is pretty crappy. But I think the still quality of the WG-1 is pretty good - for a waterproof camera. In my experience, all of the waterproof "rugged" cameras have compromised image quality. On the other hand, they're waterproof and shockproof. So in a lot of conditions, that's a fair tradeoff. Most of your still photos look fine to me. The exception are the photos with the Motobecane bike. Those ones look to me like they were maybe shot at too slow of a shutter speed? I can't tell exactly why but they're a bit soft. My guess is that's more a matter of the conditions than the camera.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    i've learned to live with it and i've tweaked the settings so that it's bearable. lol thanks for your reply

Fartographer

Compromise

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4runner View Post
    i've learned to live with it and i've tweaked the settings so that it's bearable. lol thanks for your reply
    That's good. I love the rugged cameras in the rain and when I'm skiing on a powder day. But if the weather is good I like to carry something better. They're definitely a compromise camera. But you can't beat them when the weather is nasty. Or if you drop them

Do me a favor and write a review for your WG-1 on PhotographyREVIEW.com. We don't have any user reviews for that camera yet:

Pentax Optio WG-1 User Reviews >>

Thanks in advance for your review!
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    That's good. I love the rugged cameras in the rain and when I'm skiing on a powder day. But if the weather is good I like to carry something better. They're definitely a compromise camera. But you can't beat them when the weather is nasty. Or if you drop them

Do me a favor and write a review for your WG-1 on PhotographyREVIEW.com. We don't have any user reviews for that camera yet:

Pentax Optio WG-1 User Reviews >>

Thanks in advance for your review!
    will do. give me till i get home from work