mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Is the Panasonic Lumix GX1 still a worthy contender?

I've been using Canon digital cameras since the G1 was introduced. These days I have a 5D2 with a variety of lenses as well as an S95. I haven't paid attention to the whole Micro Four Thirds movement.

I have access to a bunch of different Panasonic cameras (M4/3 as well as P&S's) and lenses. I've played with the GH3 and like its video capabilities, but it is still a big camera (a whole lot smaller than the 5D2 for sure). I've also used an LX7 with the LVF2 and liked it, though happy enough with the S95.

I see GX1 bodies are under $300 (new model coming?) and wonder if one would be worth getting to mate to the existing M4/3 lenses. The idea of a low-light normal lens (pancake 20mm 1.7?) on something very small is very appealing, though it looks like the GX1 is now 2+ years old.

Is the GX1 a worthy contender in the current lineup of M4/3's, particularly if I already had lenses? The alternative is to just stick with my Canon's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Is the Panasonic Lumix GX1 still a worthy contender?

I have a GX1 and a G6 which is a 2013 model. IQ wise I can't tell the difference between the two. In terms of handing I always prefer the G6 as the grip,swing out LCD and built in EVF make it easier to shoot with. The GX1 is a good camera and it helped me discover for not to much $ that I much prefer a body with the option of an EVF and at least tilting screen. If I were to do it again I would get a G5 as a second body.

Have you seen the new GM? Could be a great option in terms of size and weight but certainly in a different price bracket.

Hope this helps!

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    the GX1 is still a very nice camera indeed. I still use a GF2, the predecessor to the GX1 as my go to camera when ever I am out and about. the reason the GX1 is cheap now is because the GX7 came out and has replaced the GX1 in panasonics line-up.

as for mountain biking with the canon setup, there is no way I would do that. its too heavy and too much at stack is you trash a piece of gear. with a camera like the GX1 if you break it you are not heart broke because it didn't cost alot. as for the performance of the m43 system, before I moved of to m43 I had a canon 7d and a list of "L" glass to go with it. While the m43 system does give up some quality to the 7d and lenses its not nearly as much as the photog websites try to make it out to be. I would as that the GH2 that I have (which it several years old now) is 95-98% of what the 7d I had was.

while I personally really like the panasonic bodies the olympus bodies have some very promising features as well like the in body image stabilization. thought the new panasonic GX7 also have the in body image stabilization its not at the level as the olympus version.

as for interesting lenses for the m43 system take a look at the:
    Panasonic 14mm F2.5
    Panasonic 20mm F1.7
    Panasonic 14-42x (pancake zoom)
    Olympus 45mm f1.8

those are all good lenses and very easy to travel with as they are small an light (very light)

Let me know if you have any other questions
    27.2 miles ridden (going to be a slow start because of work )

1868.3 miles ridden in 2013

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I use a GX1 as my all around daily carry and ride with if conditions are good camera. Its good for the size, the main reason I use it. IQ is of course not as good as even my somewhat old Canon 40D, but I'm not wanting to ride around with that. However the GX isn't the greatest for action shooting. It's a little better than the GF1 that I used for a long time prior, but the AF is still not quite fast enough and shot to shot time is too slow to be of much use, you can pretty much only count on your first shot. EVF helps some.
    I'm waiting on the Nikon 1 AW1. It's sensor is even smaller than m4/3 so IQ takes a further hit, but its performance looks good and its rugged construction means I can carry and use it all the time regardless of weather. It can replace both my Canon PS D10 for extreme condition carry and the GX1 for good condition carry.