mtbr member

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II.... a very short term review

I've been hell bent lately to switch over to a mirrorless setup. I love my Canon 80D, but holy crap is it heavy and huge with the 18-135mm STM lens attached. So last week I picked up the Olympus E-M10ii, and I've got the Fuji X-T20 on the way as well.

----

Quick update after using the Olympus E-MD10 Mark II a few times... so far, I'm a fan. I think most of that adoration comes from the operation and the tiny form factor of the body and lens. I'm pretty sure the body plus the 14-150mm lens is smaller and lighter than my Canon 80D by itself. I had it in my pack this morning for a big ride above 12,000 feet, and I could barely tell it was there.

A few thoughts:

- There are a TON of customizable buttons and options with this thing. It can be a little overwhelming, but once you have it set up, it's very easy to operate.
    - I'm a HUGE fan of the touch-screen AF selection. Holy shit it's awesome. And it works with bike gloves.
    - The IQ seems to be pretty good. I notice that I've had more "mis-shoots" than with my 80D, but I think it's mostly because I'm not used to the camera quite yet.
    - Did I mention the size? Yeah, it's tiny. With the 14-42mm EZ lens, it's as big as a P&S.
    - I haven't used the Continuous AF much yet, so I can't speak to it... but I don't expect miracles in a body this small. It should work well enough.

As a semi-serious photographer, I wouldn't want this as my main (and only) camera, because I think the smaller sensor size is somewhat limiting in less-than-ideal light. But for a hiking/biking/around town camera, it's $$$. I'll likely keep something more high end for portraits, photo shoots, etc., but this camera will probably be my go-to camera for everything else.

Here are a few samples I took today:

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II.... a very short term review-cdt-1.jpg

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II.... a very short term review-cdt-3.jpg

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II.... a very short term review-cdt-5.jpg

saddlemeat
    Thanks for the review, I love my small mirrorless camera. A 12mm f2 prime could be a good option too, how about a review of one?
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Ha.... I love the idea of a prime lens, but I've just never warmed up to using them for anything other than portrait sessions. I need the flexibility of zooming when I shoot.

saddlemeat
    Why? Primes are a lot of fun, which kind of goes with mtb. Try it, you can still keep the zooms.

I sell a lot of prints captured this way.
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    I actually just picked up a couple of pancake zooms for my Canon 80D (the 40mm and 24mm) in hopes of lightening up that setup so I can bring it along with me more often.

I've had primes in the past- mainly the 50mm and 85mm varieties- but I've just never got used to them. Fingers crossed this time!

Candlestick Maker
    I have the same camera and like it. I'm no semi-pro, but have a lot of experience with film and digital photography over the years. I spent a lot of time with Canon FD bodies/lenses, then a bunch of point and shoot digital cams and eventually I made the switch to MFT. A bulky, heavy SLR just didn't fit my needs (biking, hiking, skiing, travel, and family photos).

This is my fifth MFT body (E-P1, E-PM1, E-PM2, E-M10, and E-M10 II). I love the E-PM2 for riding. I throw it in a handlebar feedbag with a pancake lens and can pull it out, shoot, and put back in, all while riding. I like the E-M10 II for general use. I especially like the manual controls and the EVF, which the PM2 is lacking.

The in body stabilization seems to work fairly well for my ridiculously shaky hands.

I have a pile of different lenses from the 12-42mm f2.8 Pro, to the 25mm f1.7, to the various pancake lenses, which are great for compactness.
    baker