mtbr member

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II.... a very short term review

I've been hell bent lately to switch over to a mirrorless setup. I love my Canon 80D, but holy crap is it heavy and huge with the 18-135mm STM lens attached. So last week I picked up the Olympus E-M10ii, and I've got the Fuji X-T20 on the way as well.

----

Quick update after using the Olympus E-MD10 Mark II a few times... so far, I'm a fan. I think most of that adoration comes from the operation and the tiny form factor of the body and lens. I'm pretty sure the body plus the 14-150mm lens is smaller and lighter than my Canon 80D by itself. I had it in my pack this morning for a big ride above 12,000 feet, and I could barely tell it was there.

A few thoughts:

- There are a TON of customizable buttons and options with this thing. It can be a little overwhelming, but once you have it set up, it's very easy to operate.
    - I'm a HUGE fan of the touch-screen AF selection. Holy shit it's awesome. And it works with bike gloves.
    - The IQ seems to be pretty good. I notice that I've had more "mis-shoots" than with my 80D, but I think it's mostly because I'm not used to the camera quite yet.
    - Did I mention the size? Yeah, it's tiny. With the 14-42mm EZ lens, it's as big as a P&S.
    - I haven't used the Continuous AF much yet, so I can't speak to it... but I don't expect miracles in a body this small. It should work well enough.

As a semi-serious photographer, I wouldn't want this as my main (and only) camera, because I think the smaller sensor size is somewhat limiting in less-than-ideal light. But for a hiking/biking/around town camera, it's $$$. I'll likely keep something more high end for portraits, photo shoots, etc., but this camera will probably be my go-to camera for everything else.

Here are a few samples I took today:

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II.... a very short term review-cdt-1.jpg

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II.... a very short term review-cdt-3.jpg

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II.... a very short term review-cdt-5.jpg

saddlemeat
    Thanks for the review, I love my small mirrorless camera. A 12mm f2 prime could be a good option too, how about a review of one?
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Ha.... I love the idea of a prime lens, but I've just never warmed up to using them for anything other than portrait sessions. I need the flexibility of zooming when I shoot.

saddlemeat
    Why? Primes are a lot of fun, which kind of goes with mtb. Try it, you can still keep the zooms.

I sell a lot of prints captured this way.
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    I actually just picked up a couple of pancake zooms for my Canon 80D (the 40mm and 24mm) in hopes of lightening up that setup so I can bring it along with me more often.

I've had primes in the past- mainly the 50mm and 85mm varieties- but I've just never got used to them. Fingers crossed this time!

Candlestick Maker
    I have the same camera and like it. I'm no semi-pro, but have a lot of experience with film and digital photography over the years. I spent a lot of time with Canon FD bodies/lenses, then a bunch of point and shoot digital cams and eventually I made the switch to MFT. A bulky, heavy SLR just didn't fit my needs (biking, hiking, skiing, travel, and family photos).

This is my fifth MFT body (E-P1, E-PM1, E-PM2, E-M10, and E-M10 II). I love the E-PM2 for riding. I throw it in a handlebar feedbag with a pancake lens and can pull it out, shoot, and put back in, all while riding. I like the E-M10 II for general use. I especially like the manual controls and the EVF, which the PM2 is lacking.

The in body stabilization seems to work fairly well for my ridiculously shaky hands.

I have a pile of different lenses from the 12-42mm f2.8 Pro, to the 25mm f1.7, to the various pancake lenses, which are great for compactness.
    baker

FM
    mtbr member
    Cool review. I'm curious as to how you fare with the Fuji after you've had some time with both. Do you plan to keep both, or only whichever one you prefer?

I've got a Canon G7x MkII for most sporty stuff... it's an awesome little camera.
    I had a Sony A7 but after getting used to the touch screen on the Canon, I lost interest in using the Sony, which always gave me a headache. So I've replaced it with a Olympus EM5 mkII, which has been great so far. Smaller, so much more fun to use, and I love all their built in creative functions like the live time. I pondered the Fuji, but it wouldn't have been any smaller than my Sony was really.

Keep us posted, I'm curious to hear how you get on.

mtbr member
    I got the Fuji and tested it out (briefly), and I just didn't like the ergonomics and controls. Plus, it wasn't nearly as small as I was hoping- the Olympus combo was MUCH smaller and lighter.

Ultimately, I don't know if I can give up my Canon for the majority of my "important" shooting.... specifically for my MTB business. Photography plays such an important part of what I do- whether it's for marketing, promotion, or just integrated into our trips for our clients, that I need something that's going to perform perfectly. I've bought a few prime lenses to test out in hopes of lightening my load, but my go-to setup is the 80D and 18-135mm. It's heavier and bulkier than I want- especially for long rides in places like Crested Butte- but it delivers consistently.

I really like the Oly as a "throw in my pack when it's not all that important" camera, which I think will do just fine. I always like having multiple cameras anyways.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    Thanks for the review, I love my small mirrorless camera. A 12mm f2 prime could be a good option too, how about a review of one?
    I usually shoot (50% of shots?) with the Oly 17mm f/1.8 prime. Great little lens, especially on my E-PL7. I sometimes wish I had the extra width of the 12mm, but the 17mm was a relative bargain.

I've played with some OM-mount 50mm and 135mm. The 50 works well, but manual focus without a viewfinder is tough. The 135mm has been a mixed bag - in perfect conditions, it does well enough, but I'll probably ditch it for a longer u3/4 mount telephoto sometime before spring, as I have a trip to Peru planned and want some nice glass for that.