Thread: Noooooo...

saddlemeat
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

~Disc~Golf~
    I think I threw up a little
    Honestly... ahh I give up

back in the saddle again

So this is a case with a camera lens on it and when the iPhone gets slid into the case it talks to the case making the lens operable? Or does the iPhone lens look through the upgraded lens on the case?

Personally, I have a nice DSLR and my phone is decent. I don't want them going and having some freaky love child thing like this though.

And I'm sick and tired of seeing "iEverything" everywhere I look!

(yet I'm trudging down to the Apple store in a little while to ask about a refurbished iPod as a Christmas gift.....)
    Just a Kitty cruisin' in the Rockies with her Pumpkin (TREK 820)

mtbr member
    Apple FTW!

Look at the time!
    Hello? This is not even real, it's just a concept by someone not associated with apple.

Did any of you bother to read that thing, or think about it for 5 seconds?

The Iphone 4 (and many other smartphones) have pretty impressive cameras for their size, and they have a lot of functions that conventional cameras lag. For example, upload pictures to the internet instantly, or save them somewhere off-camera. Send them back to the newsroom. Edit them (way better than any in-camera editor can). Use thousands of apps that add various other photo functions.
    An iphone or any other smartphone attached to a good image sensor and an interchangable lens would be a very powerful tool, and I can absolutely not comprehend why this would make anyone scream "noooo!". Unless you work for a camera company, that is.

Consider this quote by Nikon Pro and writer Thom Hogan ( Thom Hogan's Nikon Field Guide and Nikon Flash Guide ):
    Consider this: you and I are the first two people to show up at some spectacular news event. You've got a new D4, I've got an iPhone 5. Whose images do you think will show up on CNN first? Oh oh. That's not a good answer for the camera companies, is it?
    What he is saying is, camera companies need to up their game, or their products will soon be obsolete. Smart phone cameras are getting better every day.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'd buy one. It looks awesome. My 4s takes sick photos. Shine if I could use interchangeable lenses with it. Wow!

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    .My 4s takes sick photos. ..
    if 'sick' means debilitated, sure...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It's not so bad. In fact it takes pretty good pictures. That HDR processing works pretty well. It's not a 5dm2, but it doubles as a phone, mp3 player, and video game station. Plus it fits in my pocket and I hardly know its there. For no fuss MTb photography, the iPhone 4s is great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    A few iPhone shots. Again, I'm not clamping they are superior to a DSLR, but good enough to share with others.

saddlemeat
    ^^^ I could make those images really jump up and dance in photoshop, but not so much as a real camera image, and the prints won't be as crisp. Not a huge market for mediocre prints these days. There's a reason the best images come from big heavy cameras with glass lenses. I think it's a stretch to think that the processor in an iphone will process image data faster than a camera processor, or with as much depth and finesse. The no's were for the mediocrity of it all, btw.

Look at the time!
    Who says the image processor is in the phone?
    The concept thing in your link does not even use the phone's lens or sensor, so why would the image quality be any worse than on any other interchangable lens camera? It attaches a camera to an iphone, thus adding the big screen, and all the internet and app capabilities of the phone to an interchangable lens camera.
    You could use one of thousands of available apps to do some basic post processing right there on camera, and send the pictures away. Or you could just wirelessly transfer the photos to someone else back in the newsroom to process them. In seconds, while you are shooting, and from anywhere with a cell phone signal. I bet a lot of journalists would find that very useful...

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel View Post
    ... so why would the image quality be any worse than on any other interchangable lens camera? ...
    I take it you do not how lens and light work and sensor size - (psst... "mega-pixels" don't mean crap unles you know how it's applied to sensor size)

~Disc~Golf~
    Now, that all said... Photography is not about the camera, but the 'EYE' (you).

Look at the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    I take it you do not how lens and light work and sensor size - (psst... "mega-pixels" don't mean crap unles you know how it's applied to sensor size)
    Huh? Is that what they call PUI?

Not exactly sure what you are trying to say, but I think you are suggesting that the sensor size of this - theoretical - phone / camera attachment would not be sufficient for ... something?
    How do you know what sensor it would have? It doesn't even exist. Could be anything really, although the renderings suggest something like a micro 4/3 mirrorless setup. There are currently quite a few 4/3 cameras out there that perform very well up to about ISO 800. Good enough for pros to use them at least...
    If one needs low light performance like a D3s, a larger sensor is necessary - so far, at least. But who one says that this concept would not work with a 35mm sensor?

saddlemeat
    ^^^Since we are speculating I guess anything is possible, but I suspect the iphone would be a ball and chain on an otherwise fine camera. I would not invest in such a system but you might, and if you have an eye I'm sure you could produce some fine images. Hope it works out for you. Maybe you will acquire a sense of humor in the process...

Bike Freak
    If Nikon or Canon were to release a product like this where they could utilize the faster/strong processor of the iPhone then I think it could be a big step forward. Like what was mentioned before the ability to take a high quality picture (while the iPhone is great it is not there yet) and then be able to instantly upload it would be priceless. But as a random aftermarket piece, then it is nearly useless. Both Canon and Nikon have optimized their in camera photo software to use every last bit of processing power from their camera's that I hardly think an aftermarket product could match it. But as only a 3d model right now, it is fun to speculate as to what is possible...
    My bikes [Fe][C]ycles