mtbr member

Nikon Coolpix AW110

Anyone have any experience with the Coolpix AW110? And any sample shots?

thanks in advance!

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004

We the people ...

My sister just bought one for a three-day float trip on the Grand Ronde.

Her pictures came out and mine on my Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 did not.

However, this is solely due the fact that the strap attachment on my Lumix ripped off the camera and so now it's at the bottom of the farging river. Yes, I was abusing the camera at the time.

The AW110 seemed ok as cameras go. My sister was definitely having the classic "first week with a new camera" issues, e.g., nothing moving was in focus, and the best shot of me was fairly far out of focus even though I was sitting still.

I didn't see anything that would sway me to it vs the DMC, or away from it for that matter. But the review of the DMC-TS5 seems kind of compelling, and plus the updated strap attachment now looks bomber.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5/FT5: Digital Photography Review

Their AW110 review is here:
    Nikon Coolpix AW110: Digital Photography Review

So when I replace mine I'll probably stick with the DMC due to 1080-60P video, significantly longer battery life, and my historical good luck with the Lumix (right up until the end )
    Rolland

mtbr member
    Did you get to use the GPS feature it has? I'm mostly curious about that. As I understand it does the same thing as like a Garmin when you plug it into the computer and you can geo tag your photos as well?

mtbr member
    Interesting. I now have an Olympus TG-2 because my Pana TS-3 broke. The lens shattered from a very minor bump. Needless to say, I didn't replace it with another Panasonic.

I went with the TG-2 for the faster lens (f2.0) and the features. A buddy bought the Nikon and it seems to be a nice camera, too.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Hmm well I guess when I save up enough of my tips I'll go find out for myself!! Will post pics as soon as I can!

saddlemeat
    Refurbished AW100 for $184.00, free shipping...

Refurbished Nikon Coolpix AW100 Digital Camera, Orange - Refurbished 26293 B

AW110 adds wifi transfer, but not much else.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rideaz View Post
    Did you get to use the GPS feature it has?
    I didn't, sorry. I do some light place encoding when I import to LightRoom, but haven't used the geocoding at all, even for cell phone pictures (which I guess I reallly need to import too...)
    Rolland

I Ride for Donuts
    I have the AW110...actually my wife does. I have a GoPro Hero 3, and the 'family' point-and-shoot died, and she was jealous of the waterproof thing...you know how it goes.

It's a great camera. I was hesitant to use it underwater at first (compared to the GoPro in the waterproof housing, I just don't see how all those little holes for the microphone and stuff are waterproof...scary), but it does great. Pics are very clear and vibrant (16mp is impressive). It takes very nice 1080p 30fps video also. I don't have any samples on this computer, and all of my bike-related stuff is done on the GoPro, but the Nikon is the main 'family camera'... I'm completely impressed.

The Nikon smartphone app is pretty sweet...you can browse photos/videos on your phone, download, share on facebook, etc...you can also use the phone as a remote (and the lag time for the image on the phone is shorter with the Nikon than with the GoPro). This app made me completely dissapointed in the GoPro app, until a couple weeks ago when GoPro released the update for thier app... now I would say they're comparable, but before the update the Nikon app was superior to the GoPro one.

I use iPhoto on a Mac, and the GPS thing works just like it's supposed to... each photo is tagged with a GPS location if you have that feature turned on when you shoot the picture. I don't really use it regularly, but I have and it's accurate.

We camp/go to the lake a lot, and I have a 3 year old who likes to drop things in the mud...this camera is awesome for handling life. Clean it off in the lake and keep shooting.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)