Thread: Nikon 1 AW1?

mtbr member

Nikon 1 AW1?

I've killed 2 point-n-shoot cameras while playing in the outdoors, so I was intrigued when I read about the new Nikon 1 AW1. Anyone have any experience with this camera?

Nikon AW1 First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review

If not, does anyone here own the Nikon 1 J3? From what I've read, the guts are basically the same. If anyone owns a J3, I'd love to hear your comments on the image quality.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Still waiting, ordered one begining October, amazon finally gave an eta of December, looks like a bit of a supply problem. Been using a canon PowerShot d10 for extreme conditions, but it's image quality and speed isn't the best.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taroroot View Post
    Still waiting, ordered one begining October, amazon finally gave an eta of December, looks like a bit of a supply problem.
    Are you waiting for a black one, or the kit with the 10mm? There are plenty of white ones with the 11-27.5mm kit in stock.

I plan on going over to my local camera shop with a spare SD card today. They said I could come in and take some sample shots to take home and analyze. I'm just not sure the image quality is going to match up to my expectations of what an $800 camera should produce.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    Not bad for 3200 ISO.

Click here for the full rez version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nikon 1 AW1?-aw1-test-sm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelninja View Post
    Are you waiting for a black one, or the kit with the 10mm? There are plenty of white ones with the 11-27.5mm kit in stock.

I plan on going over to my local camera shop with a spare SD card today. They said I could come in and take some sample shots to take home and analyze. I'm just not sure the image quality is going to match up to my expectations of what an $800 camera should produce.
    Two lens black kit is what I'm waiting for. White didn't strike my fancy for a camera that will be used in the dirt/mud/snow, although I guess it easier to see if you got the camera clean after. If the image quality can hold up to my m4/3 and have the highframerate and focus then it'll be worth it to me. I realize the quality cannot match my aps c dslr. My 4/3 can't, but I don't want to ride around with the dslr, I don't get paid for it so its not worth it to me.

mtbr member
    Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered one (white) on Amazon. Found a kit that included an extra battery, charger, SD card, the silicone cover plus a few other goodies for a decent price.

Amazon.com: Nikon 1 AW1 Shock & Waterproof Digital Camera Body with AW 11-27.5mm Lens (White) with 32GB Card + Silicone Case + Battery & Charger + LED Torch + Kit: NIKON: Camera & Photo

mtbr member
    Any updates/reviews? I've been eyeing this camera as an upgrade to my point and shoot. I'd mainly be using it for bc skiing and mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Well, the black seems to be very difficult to get so I went ahead with the white, I'll just put the silicone jacket on it. I'll report when I get it, supposed to be here at end of the week. I'll be using it boarding in SLC in a couple weeks.

mtbr member
    I've had this camera long enough to take it snowboarding once and on a week-long trip to Cabo San Lucas. So far, I love this camera. The auto-focus is FAST and the focus tracking seems to work really well. It's built like a tank. It never made it into the ocean, but it was in the pool every day and I had no issues with leaking (however, if you are into scuba-diving, there seems to be a concern that it won't go deep enough).

My biggest concern was that all controls are buried in menus. With my Nikon D300, I'm always shooting in manual. With the AW1, constantly changing settings is a pain. However, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the Program setting worked. After a while, I just left it in Program mode, and got consistently good photos.

(Right-click each image below to see a full-size version)

This camera is capable of taking some really sharp images:

With the 2.7 crop-factor sensor and the not-so-fast 3.5-5.6 lens, achieving a short depth-of-field is hard, but do-able

Even with harsh back-light, the program mode did a great job of balancing the exposure

My daughter gives it 2 thumbs up

I just love this photo

Pros:
    • Shoots RAW
    • Fast auto focus
    • Good focus tracking
    • Built like a tank
    • Program mode does a great job of balancing shutter speed, aperture and ISO (when coupled with the auto-ISO feature)
    • Noise isn't too much of a problem, even up to ISA 3200 (if properly exposed)

Cons:
    • Could be a bit lighter
    • Fits in a jacket pocket, but not a jeans or shirt pocket
    • All controls are in menus. There are no external controls
    • Short depth-of-field is hard to achieve...but is doable
    • I would like a longer zoom, but the rumor is that there is a 10-100 in the works.
    Last edited by pixelninja; 12-30-2013 at 08:36 AM.

mtbr member

Focus tracking

I didn't spend a lot of time trying to get action shots. I was too busy trying to not catch an edge (I'm not very good).

I was able to lock on and track the guy in the foreground from the spot where the person in white is (upper right). Granted, it's a guy in black on a white background, but I was pleased with how smoothly it tracked him.

Right-click to see full-size:

mtbr member

Noise and low light

Note: So far I've only shot RAW. Everything I've written so far has been based on shooting RAW and post-processing with Nikon View NX2 and Capture NX2.

After shooting my daughters yesterday at an indoor skating rink...I have to say that my opinion of the amount of noise is now lower than it previously was. When shooting Program or Shutter priority (with the default exposure compensation), most of my shots came out under exposed. When I upped the exposure in post-processing, it brought out a lot of noise in the shadows. Capture NX2 does a good job of noise reduction, but there was still more than I wish.

If your shots are exposed correctly or over-exposed, it seems that noise isn't too much of a problem. I think the photo I posted earlier in the camera shop is quite clean for ISO 3200. However, after looking at my shots from yesterday, it seems that if your shots are dark, brightening them will quickly bring out a lot of noise.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Just got back from SLC (no snow for the entire trip, nice photo weather, bad riding weather), haven't had a chance to really go through images, but here are my initial impressions. The main selling features for me do seem to work pretty well, fast AF and fast frame rate. Wish the power on was a little faster, but not bad. Snow is no problem and its tough, rode with it on a single point sling, tossed the camera to friend and him back to me, and he threw it short. No problems landing in snow.
    Changing settings a bit of a pain, have to navigate menus a lot. Not many dedicated function buttons, and none are programmable. Also the buttons are impossible to operate with snow gloves, even the power and shutter. The shutter half press is pretty soft, its easy to accidentally full press.
    Dunno why Nikon makes the lens attachment backwards. I can tolerate the zoom ring being reverse from Canon, but why the lens release is reverse from normal thread direction convention?