rides with camera

Night time cityscape help

This is o.k to post as I was on my bike at the time

I wonder if anybody can help. I set up with a tripod (Joby on a park bench) with my iso at 100, several shutter speeds from 2 to 30, and out of 11 pictures, one turned out that wasn't blurry! Is there something I'm missing? I'm using a Canon 1000d with 18-35mm lens

I tried shooting in av with f9-f13 and still nothing. Any advice would be great! I did have a timer on so camera shake couldn't be a problem right?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Night time cityscape help-6428702899_9b6807b9b6_z.jpg  

Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

rides with camera
    The one that worked
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Night time cityscape help-6428700947_3493f56827_z.jpg  

Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    use the timer so you don't shake the camera when you push the shutter release button?

edit: just saw you tried that. Don't know.

Look at the time!
    Something is still shaking. What size is your Jobi? You need pretty much the biggest they have for a DSLR with a zoom lens like yours, otherwise they can easily move (sag down) during exposure. Also, how solid was that park bench? Where you sitting on it?
    Make sure the ground is solid and don't walk around near the camera during the exposure. Vibrations from traffic, subway trains etc. could also cause this if you set up in the wrong spot.
    Use a 5 second self timer.

Also, does your camera have a "Mirror Up" mode or mirror pre-release? The slap of the mirror just before the shutter opens can cause some motion blur, especially when the exposure time is between 1/10 and 1 second. It shouldn't cause this much blur, but still.

In any case, now you know why they sell $1,000 carbon fiber tripods...
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

rides with camera
    Thanks for the replies, my joby is for slr cameras but a part of one leg got ripped off riding under a tree so I wonder if it is that. It does still seem quite solid...

The mirror is an interesting idea I am looking in to...

Thanks
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

saddlemeat
    next time shoot 25 pictures...

Do you have the IS lens?
    Making the smack track baby.

mtbr member
    Was there any wind/weather? If not, my guess is the tripod is the problem. If the lens has IS, turn it off. That might help, but probably isn't the problem. Could be a focus problem, in that you're shooting in full darkness, with no real light in the foreground. My 50D has trouble finding something to focus in on under those conditions. Try shooting within an hour after the sun has set, and see

Sandy Eggo
    The tripod is definitely the problem.

And as someone already said, use the timer so you can avoid any camera shake from pressing the shutter button. Or grab a cable release.

rides with camera
    [QUOTE=zona98;8792602 Could be a focus problem, in that you're shooting in full darkness, with no real light in the foreground. My 50D has trouble finding something to focus in on under those conditions. Try shooting within an hour after the sun has set, and see[/QUOTE]

That makes alot of sense. A couple weeks before I shot the city lights with alot more success, I was near streetlights so there was light in the area.

Whereas last week when I took the above pictures where I was shooting it was total darkness. Manual focus would have to be the answer then right?

Thanks
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

Sandy Eggo
    It is definitely not a focus issue. You can clearly see motion blur.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    A good tripod makes all the difference. The gorilla pods are neat and all but for what you're looking for you need a "real" tripod. You won't need IS on the tripod for a 15 second exposure

small example

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You need to shoot in RAW or turn your auto white balance to somothin cool. Cityscapes always come out so warm (orange).

If you are having tripod problems you can try a few tricks. Do not have the pod taller than you need. Leaving it short will really help out. Lean some heavy items (camera bag maybe) against the legs.

Make sure your IS is off as well.

Being so far away you can use a wide open apature and a manual focus set to infinity without issue.

And cover your viewfinder when you are done looking through it. Stray light will make its way through the viewfinder to the sensor.