~Disc~Golf~

New Gear Advice, Thoughts & Reviews - [o]

Hey y'all!

I was gonna post a general question about some gear I was thinking about getting, but I thought it would make a great continuing thread for others as well
    Honestly... ahh I give up

~Disc~Golf~
    Anyways, as some (maybe not many) of you know, I was burglarized a while back, and one of things gone is my photo gear - so I need to get some more.
    It wasn't much in the way of super high-end at the time, but still

So this is what I was lookin at:

- Canon Rebel T4i (body only)
    Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EOS Rebel T4i 18-135mm IS STM Lens Kit
    (yes, I know this is a kit version)
    I know it's not a full body, but it looks pretty solid as far as I can tell.
    This would be my 1st video camera in a DLR version as well - so, I don't know that much here

& I was going to pair it up with the Canon 17-55 EF-S f2.8 IS USM lens.
    Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM
    I like that it's an L-glass class type of lens (though Canon won't put that red-ring around it as long as it's an 'EF-S' )
    And I like the f2.8 on a multi-use lens, and not to mention the couple-three stops you can go up with the Image Stabilization.
    The downside obviously is the $$, and people purport it to be on the heavier side.

So that that for the gear (for now)

I also had a question about B&H?
    [currently their site seems to be down, but here's the link]
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Di...1/N/4288586282
    are they good? I have heard of a couple dodgy experiences with them, and would like to know what y'all think.

thanks in advance!

Kathleen in AZ
    Sorry about your loss. That stinks!! hopefully you got some insurance $$ to get started again?

I've had nothing but great experiences with B&H. They are my most trusted on-line company and have gotten a lot of my business this past year. I've had to return a few things and it's been no questions asked, even when I was beyond the return time window.

The T4i would be a great purchase, but you can get a T3i for so much less! Do you really need a touch screen? T3i has made me very happy for a year. Getting the T3i or the T4i with the kit 18-135 is a great idea. I have the two kit lenses (18-55 and 55-250) but think the 18-135 would be a better overall lens. Instead of the 17-55 as a second lens, I suggest the 14mm Rokinon f/2.8. it's a super sharp lens, low price, is superb for bike shots, and has the f-stop for low light/night action. It's all manual but easy to use. Check out my recent pics on the ultrawide thread.

I would avoid spending lots of $$$ on EF-S lenses because sooner or later, you will want a full frame camera. I went with the 5D3 this year and it is indeed THAT MUCH BETTER as far as image quality over my T3i. But, with the 5D, I do miss the light weight body and flip-out screen of the Rebel for things like pump track or other action shoots. The 6D is getting closer as a lighter full frame body, but I'm waiting for a FF with the flip out screen. I like to get the camera low and don't really want to lay on the ground to peer thru the viewfinder.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    ... Do you really need a touch screen? ...
    I would avoid spending lots of $$$ on EF-S lenses because sooner or later, you will want a full frame camera...
    No, I don't care about a touch screen - Is that the only real difference?

-Yeah, I get that, but it will be soooo long until I will be spending $$ on another camera if I can help it

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

I've had nothing but great experiences with B&H. They are my most trusted on-line company and have gotten a lot of my business this past year. I've had to return a few things and it's been no questions asked, even when I was beyond the return time window.
    Completely agree with DurtGurl's assessment. I've been buying though B&H for a decade and never had a problem.

-db-

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    No, I don't care about a touch screen - Is that the only real difference?

-Yeah, I get that, but it will be soooo long until I will be spending $$ on another camera if I can help it
    I think most of the T4i improvements over theT3i are with video capability and the touch screen. Check out dpreview's review: Canon EOS 650D/Rebel T4i In-Depth Review: Digital Photography Review

re-reading your first post I see that you are going for the T4i body only plus the EF-S f/2.8 17-55. That looks like an excellent combo, much better than getting the kit lens. You could probably also pick up a used kit 55-250 EF-S quite cheap thru ebay or CL - it's nice having the tele in your bag.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'd go with the 15-85mm lens over the 17-55mm specifically for biking (and especially skiing). They're pretty even in terms of IQ, but the 15-85mm has a much more appropriate range for action sports. It's also lighter and cheaper. The only advantage, IMO, that the 17-55mm lens has is low-light performance. I use my 15-85mm IS lens for 90% of my skiing shots, and in combination with my 50D the focus is spot on virtually every time. It's an awesome landscape lens too. If you want to do portrait photography, use the extra money saved to buy a couple 50mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8 lenses.

I'm not sure I'd talk about a 5D3 in the same post as the T3i... the camera alone is $2000+ more expensive, not to mention the lenses that go along with it. Start with the T3i or T4i and see where you progress from there. As I mentioned, I have a 50D and for what I do, the 5D3 (or the 6D) just isn't worth the cost to upgrade right now.

~Disc~Golf~
    I think most of the T4i improvements over theT3i are with video capability and the touch screen. Check out dpreview's review: Canon EOS 650D/Rebel T4i In-Depth Review: Digital Photography Review

re-reading your first post I see that you are going for the T4i body only plus the EF-S f/2.8 17-55. That looks like an excellent combo, much better than getting the kit lens. You could probably also pick up a used kit 55-250 EF-S quite cheap thru ebay or CL - it's nice having the tele in your bag.
    Yeah, and I was watching this vid between the t3i / t4i and he touched (unintentional pun ) on the touch-screen thing - I think I'm the type that will actually use it in 'hybrid mode'
    Also, the manual video settings are a plus to me
    Vid:

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'd go with the 15-85mm lens over the 17-55mm specifically for biking (and especially skiing). They're pretty even in terms of IQ, but the 15-85mm has a much more appropriate range for action sports. It's also lighter and cheaper. The only advantage, IMO, that the 17-55mm lens has is low-light performance. I use my 15-85mm IS lens for 90% of my skiing shots, and in combination with my 50D the focus is spot on virtually every time. It's an awesome landscape lens too. If you want to do portrait photography, use the extra money saved to buy a couple 50mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8 lenses.

I'm not sure I'd talk about a 5D3 in the same post as the T3i... the camera alone is $2000+ more expensive, not to mention the lenses that go along with it. Start with the T3i or T4i and see where you progress from there. As I mentioned, I have a 50D and for what I do, the 5D3 (or the 6D) just isn't worth the cost to upgrade right now.
    Some good thinking material right there
    Yeah, I understand that having a wider zoom lens is cool, and I would want that if only I could find one that is a 'constant' f2.8 and not a 3.5-5.6 - If you know of a f2.8 'multipurpose' lens, I'd like to hear it.
    I do (ahem, did) a lot of shooting that was more on the creative side, and I always found myself struggling with a zoom, and needed to use primes .
    carrying lenses and changing them is a pain, but it also increases the risk for more crap to go wrong (that's my thought anyhow)

As far as mentioning a 5D with with a t3 or..., I think it's kinda valid - after seeing the review this guy gave on vid quality

Thanks for all your comments so far, I'm not rebuffing your opinions, only crystalizing my wants/needs a bit more

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I love my Ti3 and don't find nearly enough time to utilize it or the 6 or 7 lenses I have for it.

I am sure you will get great service from the Ti4.

All my camera gear was purchased from either amazon.com or BH Photo. I've never had problems with either place. I've used BH Photo specifically for several lens, a couple of mics, an HD camcorder, and a camera bag. All went exceedingly well.

~Disc~Golf~
    [QUOTE=ArmySlowRdr;10014117
    All my camera gear was purchased from either amazon.com or BH Photo. I've never had problems with either place. I've used BH Photo specifically for several lens, a couple of mics, an HD camcorder, and a camera bag. All went exceedingly well.[/QUOTE]

it's reassuring for sure to hear positives - I don't wanna bash, but also want to share some anecdotes...

saddlemeat

Going full format this time...

I recently had my Pelican case stolen from the back of my truck, including my D5000 and a few lenses and a bunch of other stuff. I have decided to go full format this time around, so I'm replacing it with a D600. Tired of the wide handicap with the DX format, as well as wanting to use some vintage primes. It does mean carrying a little more weight and bulk and file size is much larger so new round of storage drives also. I was impressed by the difference in DirtGurl's images, got me thinking, then fate chimed in... it's all good.

Will buy from B&H, have been for a long time.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^ EWWW Nikon!?

I feel your pain on stolen shlt tho dood

saddlemeat
    ^^^ EWWW Nikon!?

I feel your pain on stolen shlt tho dood
    Nikon made the first "real"* digital camera, the Coolpix 950 and I've never looked back. Funny thing is, I used Canons when I shot film, still do. Next P&S will be a Leica D-Lux. I'm a loser.

*That you could carry in your camelpack or take on a bike tour.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^ just givin shlt as a canon guy/gal should - and vice-verse

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Personally, I'm not sure why you'd need a constant f2.8 lens for mountain biking pictures, but to each their own. For most MTB shots, you want a wide DOF to show the environment around the rider, so you'll be shooting at f/8 or more. IMO, constant aperture lenses are overrated for sports and landscapes.

Again, I think the range of the 17-55 is much too limiting for most everything aside for wide angle landscapes and portraits.

~Disc~Golf~
    wan not planning on having a camera just for MTB - actually, that would hardly used for MTB, sorry for any confusion

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Personally, I'm not sure why you'd need a constant f2.8 lens for mountain biking pictures, but to each their own. For most MTB shots, you want a wide DOF to show the environment around the rider, so you'll be shooting at f/8 or more. IMO, constant aperture lenses are overrated for sports and landscapes.

Again, I think the range of the 17-55 is much too limiting for most everything aside for wide angle landscapes and portraits.
    I 100% disagree. So much of MTB photography (IMO, of course) is about the rider. Especially with how busy the backgrounds of most riding shots can be, having a shallow DOF is the difference between the rider standing out and getting lost in the background. And a fast lens can always stop down, but a slow lens can't open up any wider.

Not to mention that I find myself shooting LOTS of bike photos in low light, sunset, etc... having a faster lens can be the difference between getting the shot and not.

I think the 17-55 would be an awesome choice. One thing to consider is that as the T4i/T3i is a crop frame, that lens works out to being more of a 27-88mm lens... pretty solid for a general purpose lens.

An example of a time when I used a shallow DOF for a bike shot:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Gear Advice, Thoughts & Reviews - [o]-flcmtbnats_2217.jpg  

Speed has never killed anybody. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you.

www.danwalkerphotovideo.com

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    wan not planning on having a camera just for MTB - actually, that would hardly used for MTB, sorry for any confusion
    My personal preferences are to have fast, quality lenses. Quality lenses will do more for you than a higher-end camera body (not to say those aren't nice too ).

A fast, quality, midrange zoom is going to be an awesome choice for you. Trying to have one lens to cover every situation really isn't the best option... you can always get a wider angle lens or a longer telephoto later on down the line if you find yourself wanting one.

Another good option is the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. Sharp, fast focusing, and you can get it for around $450 new. Only thing it gives up to the Canon 17-55 is the IS (which can be pretty nice).
    Speed has never killed anybody. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you.

www.danwalkerphotovideo.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    That certainly changes my answer then... but I'd still recommend the 15-85mm lens but then add in a fast prime or two (like the Sigma 30mm 1.4 or the Canon 50mm 1.4). You can easily do that for the same price you'll pay for the 17-55mm.

mtbr member
    I moved to FF from a 50D recently, briefly had a OMD E-M5 but that wont keep up with the action.