Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    b a n n e d

Need Photo processing software for Mac

I've got an entry-level SLR (Canon T2i) and really like taking pics. Unfortunately, I don't have good software on the Mac for post-processing work. I'm not yet to a level where I want/need Photoshop capability, but want something that will help me with basic work. I've gone through demos of Adobe Lightroom and Apple Aperture (I run a Macbook with OSx) and can't decide. What do y'all recommend?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

http://fourpence.net
    Jun 2009
    I've used both and here's pro's and con's to either.. Lightroom is a good option if you think that progression to Photoshop is in the future as you will learn the navigation/menu's. I'm a graphic designer by trade and use other Adobe software, so Lightroom was a no brainer.

mtbr member
    One of the best photographers I know swears by lightroom. I've used lightroom once myself, and it seemed to have all the functionality I was looking for, but since I have the full photoshop suite, I didn't mess with it long.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I didn't think that the Adobe products were available on the Mac; or did they finally release Mac compatible versions?

mtbr member
    Need Photo processing software for Mac-doc1.jpg

Yup, it's available for Mac. +1 for Lightroom.

Edit: Ran across this. https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

b a n n e d
    Cool. Thanks everyone! Now to just brush up on the actual photog skills!!
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Kathleen in AZ
    iPhoto on your Mac does a decent job and is super easy. I used iPhoto for years, but finally upgraded to Lightroom 4. The LR learning curve is super steep, but once I got it figured out... WOW! It's the best thing I've done for my photography since buying a DSLR.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I've got an entry-level SLR (Canon T2i) and really like taking pics. Unfortunately, I don't have good software on the Mac for post-processing work. I'm not yet to a level where I want/need Photoshop capability, but want something that will help me with basic work. I've gone through demos of Adobe Lightroom and Apple Aperture (I run a Macbook with OSx) and can't decide. What do y'all recommend?
    Another option is Photoshop Elements, which can be had for less than $100. You might as well learn what you will want to use eventually, and there are built in tutorials for basic photo editing. Elements has most of the features of Photoshop, including the ability to work in layers and assign profiles, which gives you a lot of creative options as you ascend the learning curve. If you get into photo printing you will be glad you did also.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

MMS
    mtbr member
    There's a free beta out for Lightroom 5 now.

I come from a graphic design background and have been using Photoshop and Illustrator since their first versions. When I got into Photography more,. I picked up Lightroom 3. I was not a fan at first, didn't feel like any other Adobe product I'd ever used. It grew on me slowly. Haven't got Lightroom 4, but now I think I'll just wait for the full version of 5.
    I'm having more FUN than anybody!

industry employee
    I'd start out with Lightroom and invest in some 3rd party software plugins like Silver Efex Pro (B&W) and color Efex Pro. Lightroom is better for cataloging and most processing while Photoshop is better for taking a head of one person and putting it on another.

Also, there are a lot of free presets for Lightroom floating around on the internet.

Mike Albright Photography

saddlemeat

Re: Need Photo processing software for Mac

I'm not aware of anything you can do in Lightroom that can't be done in Elements. Can you assign and convert profiles in LR, not that familiar with it? The ability to work in layers is also useful. I'm not aware of too many photo printers using LR.

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider

Quote Originally Posted by mtbzone View Post
    I'd start out with Lightroom and invest in some 3rd party software plugins like Silver Efex Pro (B&W) and color Efex Pro. Lightroom is better for cataloging and most processing while Photoshop is better for taking a head of one person and putting it on another.

Also, there are a lot of free presets for Lightroom floating around on the internet.

Mike Albright Photography
    A lot of photogs I know use aperture. Seems to be a decent program

Over the Hill
    Start with iPhoto (included in the OSX install). Then try Adobe Elements. perhaps Lightroom. Or consider Apple's Aperture. When you're serious, go to Photoshop. Been using that for 18 years, but I'm semi-pro.

My Photo Site

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbzone View Post
    Photoshop is better for taking a head of one person and putting it on another.
    Apparently you are not a photoshop user. PS is the ultimate tool for all and every image editing requirement.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Club Mud View Post
    PS is the ultimate tool for all and every image editing requirement.
    Well said, LR is more for commercial photog cataloging, and also does rudimentary editing. (;

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The super-serious photograph editor will always go back to MS Paint. Learn it, Love it. Microsoft demands it.

edit: I understand that you are using the Mac OS.. in order to run MS Paint, you will either need to replace / dual boot / use a VM to get Windows on your machine. Only then will you become one with Microsoft.

Airborne Flight Crew
    +1 for Lightroom.

Photoshop is laborious for editing a large batch of photos. LR makes work fast and compact. IF there's images that I feel require special attention like layer masking or other tweaky things, I can transfer the image directly to PS, do my business and then go directly back to LR. For most, basic edits, color correcting and image management, LR is hard to beat.

The beauty of photoshop is that its grown to a one-stop-shop for almost all visual things, layout, 3-d, animation... The beauty of LR is that its centered around Photography, and as such the learning curve is easier. My 2 cents anyhow.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    May 2012

For more budget-friendly options, check out Pixelmator, Acorn and Snapheal. None have the raw horsepower of Photoshop or Lightroom, but Pixelmator and Acorn have a pretty good set of comparable features to Photoshop.

Snapheal seems pretty user friendly for beginner types at first glance.

Use the Mac App Store and search for these 3 apps and see what you think.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Gimp is powerful and cross platform, not as powerful as Photoshop though - and it's free.

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    +1 on Gimp

I use it on both my Win7 desktop and Macbook. I'm just a regular photo hobbyist and don't want to spend a lot of money for a photo editor. I found it to be more than what I can handle.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimension View Post
    +1 on Gimp

I use it on both my Win7 desktop and Macbook. I'm just a regular photo hobbyist and don't want to spend a lot of money for a photo editor. I found it to be more than what I can handle.
    I have always been intrigued with the Gimp, especially when it's time to buy the next PS update. Is it available as an executable download with a gui?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    I have always been intrigued with the Gimp, especially when it's time to buy the next PS update. Is it available as an executable download with a gui?
    Yup, lots of YouTube instructional vids as well.
    It is NOT Photoshop, but pretty powerful.

Mike

mtbr member

Pixelmater seems quite full featured and powerful and for a great price! I haven't used PS and was never a power user, but pixelmater is more like (I remember) photoshop in terms of menus and tools.

If I would (i do) use iphoto or aperture for cataloging an light manipulation and have Pixelmator for heavier edits.
    --Reamer

SC Tallboy LTc
    Ventana ECDM 26
    ventana el Ciclon
    Litespeed Classic
    Seven Ti Axion Tandem
    1989 Stumpjumper

saddlemeat
    Downloading gimp right now, will check it out, always enjoy exploring a new piece of software. I do a lot of layout work in PS but it is getting beaucoup expensive to keep current unless you earn money with it.

mtbr member
    Digital Photo Professional came free with your camera. It's actually very good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast