Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ballstein Models

Method for bringing the SLR on the trail

I picked up a Capture Camera Clip the other day. Took it out for a ride over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised by the unobtrusive nature of bringing along the SLR. In the past I have fashioned a case to clip on my chest using my hydration pack as the base. This gizmo attaches to one shoulder strap and is super secure. Of course the camera is out in the open so if you are always pushing your limits and biff on occasion this probably isn't for you but it was perfect for me as a way to bring the SLR out to play.

The device was a successful kickstarter project. I bought mine through amazon. Very worth the money.

Link to the product Kickstarter campaign

Product web page

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

MC Hammer
    awesome!

saddlemeat
    Very interesting, thanks!
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

Ballstein Models
    Yeah I have no connection at all to this product but am an impressed customer. What surprised me the most was the stability and security of the camera. I have a Canon 500d and had my 10-22mm wide angle along for the ride. Not a huge setup but not tiny either.

The particular trail I was riding is a good mix of buff high speed singletrack, chunky rock gardens, and several log crossings. The camera was much less obtrusive than chest packs I've used in the past.

Regarding my equipment, I've come to the point where I'm not worried about a scuff or scratch. I'd rather have the ability to shoot images than have a mint piece of equipment stashed at home.

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

saddlemeat
    ^^^The ability to shoot images in interesting conditions and settings is where it's at... you can clone out that lens gouge later.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Cool device. Lets see your pics!

mtbr member
    Huh… maybe me riding along one-handed with my SLR in the other hand the other day wasn't so smart, then!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am a professional photographer and I inadvertently found the Lowe Pro AW 400 to be awesome for biking. It carries a ton (I use 2 bodies, 12-24, 24-70, and 70-200 or 300) and keeps everything comfortably close so the CoG isn't too bad. The waist band is too high on me at 6'0" for hiking/backpacking comfortably but bikes just great. It is padded and I have taken a spill or two with no damage. The only real negative is the same with any backpack... sweat!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    the Lowesport 200 AW is a pretty good biking, hiking, and snowboarding bag for one DLSR and two lenses. Comes with a space for a hydration pack and an additional general compartment to haul enough necessities for a day's outing.

mtbr member
    was just about to ask what people used for riding, I have been hesitant to bring my d300 and lenses into the woods on my bike. may have to invest in one of those Lowepros!
    Trek Fuel EX 6
    Cannondale F5
    Felt Z100

My photos

mtbr member
    I ventured out onto the trails with my dSLR recently. I wanted to get a couple nice 'studio' style shots of my bike out on the trail. I had with me:
    Canon 5D mkII
    50mm f1.4 lens
    580EXII flash
    Pocketwizard trigger and receiver
    Lumiquest Ultrasoft
    Gorillapod and cold shoe mount for the flash

Amazingly, this all fit quite easily in my Camelbak M.U.L.E. NV pack. Everything except for the Gorillapod went into the main zipped compartment. The pod fit easily in the outside mesh pocket. I could have even had a bigger lens or a second lens if the flash wasn't needed. I even had a second flash crammed in there at one point, but then figured I didn't really need it for my shot.

I had the bladder about half full, but I don't think topping it off would have been a problem. I still had my full compliment of usual gear in there: folding tool, metal tire levers, spare tube, first aid kit, pump, wallet, keys, phone. The weight was totally manageable and it didn't really bother me while riding. I definitely rode a bit more conservatively, as I was worried about bailing and landing on my back. But I've always had a mantra in photography: you can play it safe, or get the shot. I've busted gear in the pursuit of photos before... that's what insurance is for.
    Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by splatworldwide View Post
    I ventured out onto the trails with my dSLR recently...
    Pics, or it didn't happen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rx4mtb View Post
    Pics, or it didn't happen.
    Well fine, then. Here it is

Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Very nice.

I'm glad the MULE NV is working out. I have a older MULE, but it has much less volume. I've been looking for a new pack and the new NV is high on the list.

I have a Clik Elite, Compact Sport model that I got mainly as a regular camera bag that I could take on the trail.

I've only had it on the bike once and just brought a wide tele. I put most of the bike tools in a small under saddle bag and put a tube, tire pump, and shock pump in the Compact Sport along with a full 70oz CamelBak Res. There was room for more stuff but it was just a short "shakedown" ride on a new bike, so I didn't get too crazy. I also didn't want to get the Compact Sport all mucked up w/sweat & dirt. The NV's looking like a better alternative for longer of rides.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've taken my DSLR setup before- a 40D and 15-85mm lens- but it's always been too heavy and obtrusive in my pack for me to want to use it very often. This past weekend I swapped out the 40D for a T1i to decrease the weight and size, and I'm hoping it will help me bring it along more frequently. When I do bring it, I typically just wrap the camera up in a towel or shirt and put it in my Deuter Race pack, which has plenty of room. It's somewhat a PITA to stop and take the pack off to have access to my camera, but with a larger camera that's the only logical thing I've found that works.

There's no way I could ride out here in CO with a DSLR strapped to the front of my pack. I'd be worried the entire time.

mtbr member
    I've been surprisingly happy with my DSLR stuffed into my backpack inside a smaller camera bag. The padding from both bags is nice and I can grab the camera fairly quickly when I want to shoot some pictures.

I have to stop and get the pack off my back to access the camera, but that's just enough hassle to ensure I only stop for really worthwhile shots. In someways the enforced quality standards is a good thing.

I also carry a P&S on my waist belt for fast shots I want, but don't need the DSLR for.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Small camera bag inside my pack...not the best but has been good thus far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    hmmm. very interesting solution. something tells me my K1000 may be a little heavy, but not terrible.. i'll have to keep this in mind.

Really I am that slow
    been very happy with this so far! Standard SLR Chest Carrier
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

mtbr member
    I occasionally mountain bike with my DSLR gear, several lenses and sometimes a tripod. I also snowboard regularly with it as well. Here is the only pic I have of my pack out on a ride:

The backpack is a F-Stop Loka. In it for this ride was:

Canon 7D (now replaced with a 5D mkiii)
    24-70/2.8L
    70-200/2.8L
    Extra batteries
    Extra cards
    Filters
    Pocket wizards and 2 x 580EXIIs
    And probably more...
    Attached to the outside in a bag is a Benro A-2690 tripod.

My simple motto is: "don't fall." But if I do, that's why I have insurance.

Here is a sample mountain biking shot I took of a friend, which I need to work on, as my mtb shots are not very exciting looking, at least compared to the west and northwest guys catching images of guys doing big airs, or with super scenic mountains in the background:

Here is a sample snowboarding shot I took of a friend:

Ben - Clydesdale - Type II Diabetic - 6'7", ~278lbs in 09/2011 - A1C 9.4%, ~228lbs in 07/2012 - A1C 5.6%, ~240lbs in 05/2013

mtbr member
    I've had the Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW for a few weeks now and have used it for mountain biking in addition to some other outdoor activities.

It sits well on the back...

... is fairly fast to use...

... and a m43 system fits without problems. A Panasonic GH2 body, four lenses and flash poses no problems. The only thing missing is slots for memory cards and filters.

A small tripod sits tight.

I think I'm going to be very satisfied with this backpack.
    My bike blog: www.yetirides.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I use the lowepro flipside 10L or 15L (I have both) for mtb photography. Both allow me to carry photo gear water and a few bike tools as well

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hogprint View Post
    I picked up a Capture Camera Clip the other day. ...
    Link to the product Kickstarter campaign

Product web page
    Watching the pitch video, I was like then I LOL'd. Anyone that carries their camera around their neck should just wear a sign saying "Does this camera make me look hip". A camera strap goes around your neck and over a shoulder, so the camera hangs are you side, much like his magic holster. The holster is cool, but the video was

Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    So, I'm new to DSLR's. I just got an OM-D (which I guess technically isn't a DSLR, just an EVIL M4/3) and have thought about taking it out on rides. But with spending this much on lenses, I just wonder if the vibration and jolts from riding are bad for the lens elements, especially the ones with VR. Two of my lenses are Olympus, so they don't have VR in the lens (since it's in the camera), but I just got a nice Panasonic 25mm f1.4 I wouldn't mind taking out. Should I turn off VR in the lens? Like I said, I'm a bit of a camera noob. I could just bring the kit lens, but it's not very fast for any action shots.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I use a Lowepro nova 140 bag for my Canon T3i and it held up well on a snowboarding trip. The all weather cover came in handy since it was snowing most of the time. am thinking of getting an Ibera handlebar camera bag so that I don't have my Lowepro sliding around my back when I switch to the bike. also don't want to miss any shots. has anyone tried a handlebar bag or Ibera bags?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast