Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    I've had zero problems with carrying my DSLR around on a capture clip on my camelback shoulder strap. Shoot with whatever you want to. Let other people shoot with what they want to. I for one carry my DSLR because even though it's ancient, it still lets me shoot more flexibly, much faster, with more control than any point and shoot.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Method for bringing the SLR on the trail-5d_mk3.jpg

I can't imagine one of these dangling from your camelbak strap. If so I hope you have some good insurance. That's $5000....

mtbr member
    Nope, no insurance. That's also a 5D with a zoom lens and a hood. Kit price for that is probably about 2700, not 5K. The setup I carry, usually a prime lens that's around $200 and a camera body that isn't even made anymore. The cheapest body/lens kit I can find ($429) would be a significant upgrade on my camera body. I don't know anything to tell you other than if you have a $5K camera, and don't want to carry it on the trail, then don't. I don't always carry my camera, because sometimes I know there will be big water crossings (I don't mind small ones that I'm familiar with) or a chance of rain. I'm also aware of my skill level, and usually back off just a little when I'm carrying my camera, but I can still have fun, and still get great pictures with it.

In short, not all DSLRs are as "big" as the one you posted, it might not matter anyway, the clip works so well, I could probably carry that - not all cameras are $5K, and it's clear to me you haven't tried a clip. You're just dead set against DSLRs on the trail, and since the thread exists, clearly some people ARE interested in being able to take theirs on the trail. So find someplace else to troll.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Troll? I've been taking my DSLR on the trails for years and have been published in magazines. This is what I use. It's weather proof and nice and padded like a camera bag should be. It even has a pouch for hydration pack. Method for bringing the SLR on the trail-clikprobodypack2.jpg

If you don't mind your plastic body craigslist hobby camera you scored on craigslist for $200 getting destroyed by all means dangle it from your Camelbak while riding. As for the price kit price of a Canon 5D mark III, it is still listed at $4000 with the 24-104 lens and not a 24-70 (which is almost double the price) even after a significant price drop after being out a year.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital Camera Kit with Canon 5260B009 B&H

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava View Post
    Troll? I've been taking my DSLR on the trails for years and have been published in magazines. This is what I use. It's weather proof and nice and padded like a camera bag should be. It even has a pouch for hydration pack. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ClikProBodyPack2.jpg 
Views:	557 
Size:	265.4 KB 
ID:	798285

If you don't mind your plastic body craigslist hobby camera you scored on craigslist for $200 getting destroyed by all means dangle it from your Camelbak while riding. As for the price kit price of a Canon 5D mark III, it is still listed at $4000 with the 24-104 lens and not a 24-70 (which is almost double the price) even after a significant price drop after being out a year.

Ok, that's different. I'll retract the troll comment, because it sounded like you were just saying "leave your DSLR at home" - and if you aren't interested in carrying one, stay out of the thread. But since you carry one - that's a nice setup. Particularly if you're working with pros and people are session a section of feature, or don't mind stopping to wait for you to set up a shot. But usually the way it works with me, since I'm not lucky enough to get paid to do this, is I decide where on a trail I want to shoot everyone, and pull out enough of a gap to set myself up. But that involves me moving really fast, which means fast access to the camera.

Speaking of the camera, for the record, I bought it new before my daughter was born. The camera and a couple of nice lenses, since my old canon film lenses wouldn't fit these new fangled things - oh that my 55mm 1.2 would fit it... and have since purchased a newer, nicer one. And I'm looking at a 5D III or a 6D - which, if I'm honest, I probably wouldn't carry on the trail unless I was getting paid for it - but the point is, everyone has something different, and different levels of comfort with what they can do with it. Much like skills on a bike. Different people can do very different things with bikes, because they have different levels of comfort with their skill, and whether or not they destroy the bike if they fail.

Just so you know though, my camera has been over jumps with me, through some rock gardens, over some good sized structures - I can tell you, it doesn't "flop around" on the capture clip. It's very stable, very out of the way. You would want a short lens on it, or a lens that you can lock so it won't creep - I'm sure that's a factor in my camera not flopping around, but it's also easier on the body/lens mount, I'm sure.

So let me ask you this - how does your 5D focus in low light? Because my dirty little secret is that most of my photography, and nearly all of my nice lenses, are really for concert photography, and I've quite decided it's time for me to go full frame. Price makes the 6D attractive to me, and supposedly its AF works fairly well in low light, but I'm concerned about it's comparative lack of AF points.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    As far as I know the auto focus system on the 6D is comparable to the 5D mkii. Oneof the main reasons i upgraded from the Mkii to the Mkiii was for the Mkiii's more advanced autofocus system is was supposedly on par with the 1D series. I have to say I have not been disapointed with the Mkiii yet. Regarding low light performance, I can't speak for the 6D but the 5D's Mkii's performance was pretty poor. Having the additional cross type focus point helps a lot.

mtbr member
    Interesting, thanks. I've heard more cross points helps with low light, but word is the 6D focuses in low light better than the 5D in spite of the fact that the 6D only has 11 AF points, compared to what, 61 on the 5D? But apparently that hurts the motion/sports shooting AF on the 6D. All this compromising variance. It's enough to make me want a 1D. Oh wait. I wanted one of those anyway, it's the price tag....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava View Post
    Troll? I've been taking my DSLR on the trails for years and have been published in magazines. This is what I use. It's weather proof and nice and padded like a camera bag should be. It even has a pouch for hydration pack. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ClikProBodyPack2.jpg 
Views:	557 
Size:	265.4 KB 
ID:	798285

This looks like a nice pack. Could you tell me what make/model exactly? I don't carry a DSLR, but I do want to carry my Sony NEX-6 with a few lenses, and need that water bladder!

Thanks in advance

Johnnydrz

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3