mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Looking at a Nikon D70 for the faster flash sync speed.

From what I gather the D70 has a hybrid shutter than can operation like a normal mechanical shutter or can operate like the shutter on a point and shoot where the shutter is left open and the sensor can be sampled electronically to achieve the faster sync.

This would see like it would be helpful for MTB photography because it would allow you to stop more of the action with the shutter and not depend on the flash to stop the action.

But I'm worried if the D70 shutter would end up being laggy like a PnS camera which would make capturing guys on the trail at the right moment more difficult.

Anybody worked with a D70?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I have a D70, haven't used it in 2 years, it doesn't have any shutter lag, however its pretty old technology, the ISO range/noise/results aren't so great and the autofocus is much better on newer cameras. If you just want to use it with a powerful flash, sure why not, it also has flash commander mode and it sync's up to a 1/500 of a second.

mtbr member
    Had one several years ago. Sold it and upgraded and never looked back. My upgrade path looked like this...

D70 < D80 < D200

If you want fast shutter for moving subjects without paying a huge amount of money...D300. Get a couple fast primes and you're set.

mtbr member
    The path is supposed to look like:

D70 D80 D200 D300 D7000 Sony NEX6

For some reason it won't post as typed.

roadie
    if you want to give one a test spin and you find yourself in the south bay i can loan you a D70. it's still a good little camera. 6MP and good enough image quality at low ISO for web work. i just can't peep such a tiny viewfinder anymore. i didn't mind it so much when the camera was new because i was stoked on not having to buy film anymore, but now it feels like i'm squinting through a straw. i also appreciate the decade or so that gone into AF since its release.

if you want full power light (on or off camera) at higher sync speeds i would go the Pockewizrd FlexTT5 route. you can tune the banding and optimize it to your own strobes or flashes. it's kind of a gamer changer.