mtbr member

Living The Dream (Wishlist)

saddlemeat
    Quite the dilemma you got yourself into.

I might insert a D800e into that equation and put the $avings into a wide prime and battery grip.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    Yea the body is really a toss-up; there are several good options really from the D800e or even the 1D IV.
    On the day of purchase, it's likely I would pick different bodies then are on that list.

I just hate the feel of the two piece body formats.
    It's hard for me to be happy with the smaller D800e body plus grip, compared to the full size body of the D3 and the D4 is a little too expensive still.
    Additionally the 1D IV is probably a better choice for me than the 1Ds III also.

The most important part of the list to me is the lenses.

I do hear what you mean on wanting a wide prime, but I feel that these new wide zooms on this list have proven to surpass the performance of most primes in that range in all but a rare occasion.

saddlemeat
    ^^^Yeah but 2.8 is not that useful in low light, whereas 1.4 is.

edit: so I might go with the 17-35/2.8, 70-200/2.8, with a 50/1.4 or 1.2, a 20/1.4. I tend not to appreciate the big iron camera bodies so much...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    ^^^Yeah but 2.8 is not that useful in low light, whereas 1.4 is. so I might go with the 17-35/2.8, 70-200/2.8, with a 50/1.4 or 1.2, a 20/1.4. I tend not to appreciate the big iron camera bodies so much...
    I hear what you’re saying, and I have owned high end f/1.4 wide angle primes in the past few years.
    But for my use it would not serve me as well as having a range of focal lengths.
    Additionally, I prefer an ultra-wide and 17mm isn't wide enough for my preferences.
    If my dream budget was expanded another 10K then buying more specialty primes would be cool, but I found I am still happy adjusting my technique to accomodate the higher F/stop to increase DOF.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by schristie11 View Post
    I hear what you’re saying, and I have owned high end f/1.4 wide angle primes in the past few years.
    But for my use it would not serve me as well as having a range of focal lengths.
    Additionally, I prefer an ultra-wide and 17mm isn't wide enough for my preferences.
    If my dream budget was expanded another 10K then buying more specialty primes would be cool, but I found I am still happy adjusting my technique to accomodate the higher F/stop to increase DOF.
    I like primes in dusty settings, which I deal with a lot, because they don't pump dust into my camera, and normal and wide is sufficient for me. I'm looking forward to FX in smaller, lighter bodies actually...

Look at the time!
    The 24-70/2.8 and the 70-200/2.8 Nikons don't pump dust, rear elements are fixed and the lens itself is sealed. I think the 14-24mm does pump some air when zooming.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

KoNa KiD
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel View Post
    The 24-70/2.8 and the 70-200/2.8 Nikons don't pump dust, rear elements are fixed and the lens itself is sealed. I think the 14-24mm does pump some air when zooming.
    My 70-200 doesnt pump any air that i can feel, neither does my 28-70. my 14-24 when i had it, if you zoomed quickly you could feel a little bit threw the eye piece. swapped that out for a 16-35 and i notice no air at all.

nice wishlist, some how my wife has allowed me to fufill almost all of my wishlist
    d700
    70-200
    28-70
    16-35
    105 micro
    3x sb's
    3x Pocketwizards

still wanting my 16mm fish, wish i hadnt sold the 10.5
    Pedalshop
    [SIZE="4"]Transition Bike Co.[/SIZE]

dont touch the dirt

mtbr member
    After further review I would definitely pay a little more to swap the bodies above to the Canon 1D X and the Nikon 4D
    Both are worth the extra money, since this is a dream list and all.
    That would put the total close to $15K.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    As a longtime CAnon shooter who just switched to Nikon for six months (and then switched back) I gotta say that the 14-24 is SICK, but on the other hand it's super fragile and I'd be scared of that giant front element getting jacked up with gravel/etc.

mtbr member
    Indeed all lenses deserve care in handling.
    I do not use a uv protector anymore and just excercise safety awareness instead.
    I have done the same with firearms for so long its second nature for me to apply on a lense.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    for sure, no doubt, but some are arguably more suited to the rough and tumble world of outdoor sports photography than others.

mtbr member
    The only thing a lens needs is an adequately hard material body and a good lens hood but weather sealing also for some cases. You can add a lens coat to pad it if you like. I did that on a 300 2.8 I rented for sports shooting.

Mountain Bikes For Life
    Ha thats alot of money. I will stick with the GoPro hero 2 and my cannon T3i