Just Ride

Lens fitting question

Just getting back into photography after 10 years. So I don't remember all the terminology. I guess you could say I'm a born again noob with photography.

Anyway, I have a canon SLR with a couple lenses. 35-70mm and a 70-300mm, both auto focus lenses. I'm looking to purchase a DLSR next year and was wondering if my 70-300 lens would work on the DLSR camera body? Is it just a matter of making sure the mount on the new camera is the same as the lens mount on the old so the lens will fit? I forget what that part is called. Also since I bought the lens, it's a tameron btw, for a canon, it says for canon on the lens. Is it only useable on a canon? Or could I use it on a nikkon with the same mount?
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Is your Canon SLR an autofocus SLR? If so, your old lens will work on a new Canon digital SLR body.

And, yes, your lens will only work on a Canon body.

My advice is to not worry about whether your old lens will work - frankly, a 10-year-old third-party lens, especially a 70-300, probably isn't particularly good anyway. Optics have come a long way in the last decade. Buy new lenses.

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex91 View Post
    Is your Canon SLR an autofocus SLR? If so, your old lens will work on a new Canon digital SLR body.

And, yes, your lens will only work on a Canon body.

My advice is to not worry about whether your old lens will work - frankly, a 10-year-old third-party lens, especially a 70-300, probably isn't particularly good anyway. Optics have come a long way in the last decade. Buy new lenses.
    Yes it's an autofocus SLR. I didn't think of the optics. I'll only be able to buy the camera because of other expenses that I will incur at that time. I'll need my old lens at least for a few months. I'll look into new lenses as money permits.

mtbr member
    Which camera are you looking at buying?
    Dakota King
    Owner of
    BikerTents

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by dakROLO View Post
    Which camera are you looking at buying?
    dunno yet. I'll be looking sometime next year after I get my bike. Probably gonna go with cannon again. Somewhere around $600 or so.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    dunno yet. I'll be looking sometime next year after I get my bike. Probably gonna go with cannon again. Somewhere around $600 or so.
    For $600, definitely a Cannon

But if you can afford it, Nikon worth the shot. But considering you have Cannon lens, be careful as old lens may be long term damaging the new DSLR body, due to new contact pins and circuits.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    I have never heard of the damaging of the contact pins but I always prefer a canon over a Nikon. Around that price the rebel is probably the best choice. IDK if Costco still sells it but it comes with a few nice lenses.
    Dakota King
    Owner of
    BikerTents

Huckin' trails
    I have never heard of the damaging of the contact pins but I always prefer a canon over a Nikon. Around that price the rebel is probably the best choice. IDK if Costco still sells it but it comes with a few nice lenses.
    Well, it's not always recommended, but every lens and manufacturer are different... Ask an expert about it. And by expert, I don't mean the Costco guy... I mean the guy from the real camera shop, the one that knows his stuff because he was born into it.

And Nikon vs Cannon is like SRAM vs Shimano... Personal preference.

But my vote goes to Nikon. I got their D7000 and its awesome, maybe out of budget at $1 200 body only, but still very nice when you get a DSLR for the next 5 or more years. And resale value is very great.

David
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Canon it's a Canon, can I say it again it's a Canon. Not a Cannon

Cannon camera's are really cheap nasty 126 film format camera from the dark ages. Maybe 35mm also.

As to whether a Tamron or Tokina ( or several other manufacturers) ten year old lense is no good rather speculative. Tamron and Tokina have made some very fast brass body zooming lenses that are every bit as good as a 70's ZUiko 50mm f1.8 fix lense a Nikon D series autofocus lense.

Take them to an expert shop for an evaluation.

Autofocus pins on the lense and body can be scratched and reduce effectivity, remember to use lense and body caps. Nikon MF bodies were noted for scratching some AF lenses.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpg View Post
    Canon it's a Canon, can I say it again it's a Canon. Not a Cannon

Cannon camera's are really cheap nasty 126 film format camera from the dark ages. Maybe 35mm also.

As to whether a Tamron or Tokina ( or several other manufacturers) ten year old lense is no good rather speculative. Tamron and Tokina have made some very fast brass body zooming lenses that are every bit as good as a 70's ZUiko 50mm f1.8 fix lense a Nikon D series autofocus lense.

Take them to an expert shop for an evaluation.

Autofocus pins on the lense and body can be scratched and reduce effectivity, remember to use lense and body caps. Nikon MF bodies were noted for scratching some AF lenses.
    Lol, I always get confused with those two Canon/Cannon. Either way, they are still Canon.

And you're right on for the lens.

David

mtbr member
    By the way I only buy there. I don't seek expert help at Costco. Most of them have no experience in any thing. But the CANON (lol) rebel is an awesome bang for the buck. If you go beyond that in price and size of a camera you better know what you are doing. One thing I like about the Canon over the nikon is the usability of the options. Very user friendly. Specially if you don't like to read the manuals. lol Pretty self explanatory.
    Dakota King
    Owner of
    BikerTents

Huckin' trails
    By the way I only buy there. I don't seek expert help at Costco. Most of them have no experience in any thing. But the CANON (lol) rebel is an awesome bang for the buck. If you go beyond that in price and size of a camera you better know what you are doing. One thing I like about the Canon over the nikon is the usability of the options. Very user friendly. Specially if you don't like to read the manuals. lol Pretty self explanatory.
    I've read the whole manual for my Nikon D7000... Even if I could work the camera without ever reading it. But there so many functions and option on this body that reading the manual just make them greater.

But it's a professional camera more then a amateur one.

David

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    Just getting back into photography after 10 years. So I don't remember all the terminology. I guess you could say I'm a born again noob with photography.

Anyway, I have a canon SLR with a couple lenses. 35-70mm and a 70-300mm, both auto focus lenses. I'm looking to purchase a DLSR next year and was wondering if my 70-300 lens would work on the DLSR camera body? Is it just a matter of making sure the mount on the new camera is the same as the lens mount on the old so the lens will fit? I forget what that part is called. Also since I bought the lens, it's a tameron btw, for a canon, it says for canon on the lens. Is it only useable on a canon? Or could I use it on a nikkon with the same mount?
    The focal lengths change going from SLR to DSLR typically by a factor of 1.5. So your 35-70mm effectively becomes 52-105mm and so on. This is because 35mm film format is 50% larger than the C-size sensor used in most D-SLRs.

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    The focal lengths change going from SLR to DSLR typically by a factor of 1.5. So your 35-70mm effectively becomes 52-105mm and so on. This is because 35mm film format is 50% larger than the C-size sensor used in most D-SLRs.
    Interesting. I will be buying new lenses eventually. But would need to use my old lenses in the mean time. Trying to get a camera, right between wedding and honeymoon next september. So money will be real tight. I guess worst case I just buy a whole hell of a lot of film and then get a camera toward the end of the year.

mtbr member
    Cant go wrong with a Canon Rebel t2i.. I use one professionally for wedding videography, along with a Canon 60d and 7d. All three cameras (and the t3i) use the same 18mp (1.6 crop factor) sensor.. So you cant tell the difference in image quality between the three.. you just get better metering, AF, and overall build quality on the 60d & 7d.. among a few other things..

You can pick up a t2i pretty cheap these days.. and both your lenses are completely compatible with it.

In addition, if you decide to go with a Nikon; lens adapters are now readily available to allow Canon lenses to be mounted on Nikons, Nikons on Canons, Minoltas on Nikon, and pretty much any combination you can think of.. I actually use some old Nikkor glass from my old 35mm Nikon FE on my Canon t2i with the help of fotodiox lens adapters.. Think I paid like 20 bucks each for them? I recommend getting one for each lens if you go this route.. as they are kinda a pain to install/remove from one lens to another every time you want to switch lenses.. and I dont really know how long they will hold up to repetitive removal/installations..
    They do have lens adapters for AF lenses, however there is some junk out there so I would recommend doing some research.. Mine are just full manual lenses so I just chose some adapters that appeared to be high quality and solid.. Haven't had an issue yet!

Good luck!
    (ps. Craigslist can be your best friend when it comes to cameras/gear)

Just Ride
    ^^^good stuff to keep in mind, thanks! But with the adapters wouldn't I lose an F stop or 2?

mtbr member
    nope.

..but if you go with a Canon you wouldn't even have to worry about adapters
    I don't think you would be disappointed with a t2i. The only gripes I have with mine is its super small and the actual material the camera is made of is pretty thin-ish plastic, making it super light weight.. but both issues where easily (and cheaply) remedied by picking up a third party battery grip. Heres one with 4 extra batteries for 45 bucks: Battery Grip. Think that is the same grip I have, but mine came with 2 spare batteries.. which obviously don't last as long as the actual Canon batteries ($$$) but if you have 4 extras it really doesn't matter..
    Also going with the Canon you will already have a professional-grade video camera if you ever get into video later down the road.. Something to think about..
    Last edited by vokeswaagin; 09-25-2011 at 12:57 PM.