mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Images from Costa Rica

Hi all, I just wanted to share a few images from Costa Rica, I usually don't take the camera with me for security reasons, but imho this time was worth it.

Images from Costa Rica-mtb-3219.jpg

The full album can be found here. Let me know what you think.

Kathleen in AZ
    no people?

mtbr member
    Nice shots. I fondly recall my trip to CR in 1984. Cycled most of the country - from San Jose to Manuel Antonio, Limon, Puntarenas, Nicoya Peninsula, Santa Rosa, Chirripo. Great country, wonderful people. No camera for security reasons? Can you explain?
    The older I get the better I was...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Nice shots. I fondly recall my trip to CR in 1984. Cycled most of the country - from San Jose to Manuel Antonio, Limon, Puntarenas, Nicoya Peninsula, Santa Rosa, Chirripo. Great country, wonderful people. No camera for security reasons? Can you explain?
    Well, it is very sad but cycling in open roads has become a target of robbers in the past few years, so unless you're riding in a group of 5 or larger, is better not to take many valuables with you.

Now, that trip you describe is one hell of a trip! tons of climbing, and tons of beautiful places to see. I love riding because the "slow" pace allows you to grasp a lot more of the beauty, specially in those places. Just yesterday I went in a ~55km trip around a new area (guácima to turrúcares and around, they're in googlemaps if interested) and loved it so much, I must take the camera next time.

mtbr member

Truly sad...

I felt fairly safe down there... camped alone off the side of the road when necessary and no one bothered me. A few sketchy moments here and there... a couple of women I was with got way too much male attention in a reggae bar in Limon, one almost got her purse snatched walking the streets of San Jose, someone stole my beach towel from a clothesline in Cahuita, trapped in outhouse in Santa Rosa by javelinas. Got a little weird for awhile in Tortuguero after a boat carrying arms for the Nicaraguan contras sank in the surf and some menacing mercenary types showed up looking for the cargo.

Climbing? Yep, I remember plenty of that. To clarify, though, the sidetrip to Pico Chirripo was a hike, though we did cycle to the little town at the base of the mountain.
    The older I get the better I was...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    1984 was a long time ago. Ther is reason there is armed special "protect tourists" police in every tourism area. Pictures worth more than the camera, if you lose the camera, back up your memory cards.