ballbuster

I'm sick of destroying cameras. Rec for durable cameras?

Hi all,

I've been buying Canon Elph series cameras for years. They are reasonably cheap and take really good pix (I love Canon's image processing), good in low light due to a pretty decent aperture, around 2.0 or so. Every time I get a non-Canon camera, I end up kinda hating it and returning it. Megapixles are a wank, as far as I'm concerned. All of my pix end up de-resed on the web anyway. I was perfectly happy at 5MP.

Seems I get around 2-3 years of out an Elph before I destroy it. They are just not made to take any abuse whatsoever. I usually destroy them by getting dirt or sand in them. Heck, for $120 I figure it's the cost of doing biz in the woods.

I've always shyed away from rugged cameras, because the biggest aperture is always around F3.9 on them, so I assume they suck in lower light dusk situations. To get one with a bigger aperture... say down to a F2.0, I'm into like $400. I was hoping to stick around $200.

Or, I dunno... maybe I'll just start buying used Elphs off ebay for $40.

So, any suggestions?

mtbr member

I'm sick of destroying cameras. Rec for durable cameras?

Look into Pentax. I love mine water resistant. Great construction. It's a DSLR. Why not go for a go pro. You can use it as a normal cam and it's everything proof. Of get a life proof case for your phone

Sent from my vault using Tapatalk
    GT Timberline 1.0 29er
    'Merica runs on coffee and bacon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I used the first gen Canon waterproof for quite a while. Handled more or less like their other point and shoots, decent pics, easy to carry. Low light it'll get difficult. Still works.
    I now use the Nikon AW1. Quite a bit bulkier, but its fast operation wise. If you go with the fixed wider lens its also pretty fast aperture wise. I'm still working out carrying it. Using a single point sling. Just ordered the Spider holsters clip to control it swinging around when riding. Expensive.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    There is a lot that goes into image quality than just megapixels. Sensor size, lens on the camera, lighting, the whole gamut.

I happen to be a Sony fan myself. I have a DSC-HX9V point and shoot that is an amazing camera for it's class and just picked up a NEX-5T from ebay a few weeks ago and so far am loving it although I am saving up to upgrade to an A7.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.