mtbr member
    Aug 2013

If not GoPro then what?

Was considering a GoPro till I read all the negative reviews on the gopro website. 20-25% of the reviews read basically the same thing.

1. Overheats
    2. Choppy playback
    3. Video record turns off after a few seconds for no reason.
    4. Freezes up
    5. Battery life sux

I really want a video cam type unit but I find it hard to spend $300.00 ish on a product 1/4 of it's buys don't like.

What other types/brands are you using and what's your review?
    2014 Scott CX Comp (gravel grinder)
    2014 Surly "OPS"
    2013 Scott Scale 960

I'm a beer drinker with a mountain bike problem...

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: If not GoPro then what?

Its definitely not perfect but i don't know of a better alternative at that resolution and picture quality.

1. Overheats --never had that problem

2. Choppy playback --this is related to the pc, not the camera. Higher resolution videos don't play well on pcs with lower memory, lower graphics memory and slower cpu. Use vlc media player and make sure you have at least 4gb mem and 2gb graphics mem for larger 4k or 2.7k files. Otherwise use 1080 or 720 on older pcs. Also when you post to vimeo or YouTube you'll have to down convert to 1080 or 720 anyways. So if you film in higher 2.7 or 4k, you'll have high res shots for future when YouTube, vimeo, and the typical tv accepts it.

3. Video record turns off after a few seconds for no reason -- ensure latest update of software and use recommended sd cards. There are some problems with some sd card brands.

4. Freezes up --see 3

5. Battery life sux -- yes it does,i carry 3 batteries and use the battery back pack

If there is a better ultra high res sports cam I'd love to hear about it

Sent from (redacted by nsa)
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I'll reiterate what ddprocter said:

1. I've never had my camera overheat.
    2. Choppy playback is totally a PC issue. These cameras can record at resolutions so high that most people have never heard of them. Hence why major TV networks use them.
    3. You need a Class 10 SD card. Classes basically dictate write speed. When recording HD video you need an SD card that can write data rapidly, otherwise performance suffers. Class 10 cards cost marginally more, but they're really common. Cheap ass memory cards won't work.
    4. Never had mine freeze.
    5. Battery life IS pretty terrible, even when you're not recording. I get about 1hr MAX. Fortunately the battery is removable, small and relatively inexpensive. I carry two extras with me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thx guys for your reviews....anyone else got one or for a different product? Anyone try the polaroid model? The white hotdog looking thing?
    2014 Scott CX Comp (gravel grinder)
    2014 Surly "OPS"
    2013 Scott Scale 960

I'm a beer drinker with a mountain bike problem...

I Ride for Donuts
    X3 on the GoPro. I have the Hero 3 Black.

1. Never had it overheat.

2. I have a screaming fast iMac, never had a single issue with playback. Even if you did have a playback issue, you could edit/produce a vid that would be perfect quality, even if your computer made it hard to work on because of your computer's speed. People who complain are recording in resolutions that they should stay away from.

3. Never happens. I do have a class 10 card, which is the only thing recommended by anyone and everyone.

4. Mine has never frozen.

5. Battery life is a trade off for small size. there is a 2-pack of spare batteries on Amazon with a wall charger for $30. I can record for about 1.5 hours on mine. Less in sub-freezing temps.

Sorry for re-hashing it... but millions of people have no issues with these things, and the minority who don't use it right or have an issue take the complaints to the internet. It's a great product.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Tree Crasher
    If not GoPro then what?
    The Garmin Virb coming out soon?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails If not GoPro then what?-vibe.jpg  

CRAP... I'm in the wrong gear

mtbr member
    I use an Epic that I paid $80.00 for last year. Its 720, good enough to make out license plate numbers when needed

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Another option I've been considering is the Replay XD 1080. Check it out. I have about two weeks before I decide. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sometimes when you're trying to talk yourself out of buying something, it's easy to start believing all the negative reviews you suddenly start finding. I've had my GP for 2 years now and have seriously abused it while snowboarding in extreme temps and terrain. I use it for motorcycling and mtb'ing too and NEVER had the mechanical problems you're talking about. As for battery life, I have a couple spares for the longer sessions so no issues there. A few other cameras out there, but advantages of Gopro are the multitude of attachments and mounts available. Give it a try. If you don't like it, just sell it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    2 words----> Drift ghost

mtbr member
    I have a GoPro Hero3 White I bought for motorcycling and it takes great videos. Haven't mounted it up on the mtb yet as I'm just getting into the sport again after a long time out of it. I suspect my videos would be very boring.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have a Hero3 black and it regularly hangs/freezes. Has done so since day 1 even with constant updating of firmware as they become available. It can freeze during recharging, as you mount it, turn it on, turn it off. Seems more or less random. Some days it can be mostly fine, others it freezes 3-5 times a day (even with the same SD card, class 10 of course).
    A couple of friends have the Hero3 black also, and they see the same issues. When we meet people at race tracks with Hero3 blacks, they speak of - yes - the exact same problems.
    I never played with other Hero3 models so maybe only they are fine... The Black however, isnīt.
    As it stands, I find it hard to recommend the Black version for sure

/Allan

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: If not GoPro then what?

What brand sd card? I bought a SanDisk on Ebay at a firesale price and had issues with it, then i bought the same one in store at best buy, and, combined with the firmware update, the glitching and stopping after 4 seconds of film both stopped (only happened once since then). So i might have bought a sd card that failed QC and fell off some truck.

I think you gotta do these three things to make the glitching stop:
    1) latest firmware
    2) buy ONLY one of these exact cards listed in the specs here:
    http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-black-edition
    3) before an outing, remove all vids to computer, insert card, and go to menu/settings and format the card

I'm not trying to be a gopro fanboy here, I know that's all a pain, it shouldn't be that hard, but again i know of no better cam for quality and size and features.
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The cards I use are mostly sandisk ultra. Generally I donīt use the super hi-res modes, the 720p-50fps normally does it for me. I donīt see issues with recording stopping after 4 seconds. Oh and the lower resolution also does away with the rolling shutter.

Interestingly the thing can freeze when charging og just navigating the menus. Even without an SD card in it. So tbh I donīt think my SD cards are at fault.
    However of course itīs worth a shot to get one of the cards listed and see if it helps...

/Allan

Trail Ninja
    I would try and estimate the data rate (size of file / length of clip) of each mode and do a disk test on the SD card and check its sustained write speed (pref connected through GoPro to PC), to see which modes the card is capable enough to handle. In the test clips, I'd try and shoot the clip just like how I'd be using the camera, moving and outdoors with ambient sounds/noise, rather than quiet indoors and not moving much. Seeing how that GoPro site states that the Black is capable of 45 MB/s in ProTune and 4k and 2.7k, I wouldn't trust that a low cost SD class 10 card would have decent enough write speed to do HD on the Black.

I imagine that all that would happen is that the GoPro stops recording shortly after being told to start filming, and then auto shutdown after a pre-specified time to save batteries. I imagine people would get really peeved for not getting footage and try and band together in a "GoPro Black Edition sucks" movement. Your case sounds like something different that warrants an exchange.

I'd personally get whatever had the best video and sound clarity, honestly. The Black seems to be unrivaled there, but it takes a lot of cash to make it work apparently: $330ish on sale, plus the cost of high speed micro SD card ($30?), extra batteries ($10+? each), and mounts ($20+?). I'm seeing this sale price in a lot of places, so that may indicate that GoPro is doing like it has done practically every October and introduce a new model. Might be a Hero4 in the works, and/or a lower cost offering with the Black Edition sensor, crippled to lower max resolution and frame rate, longer battery life, relaxed mem card demands, without the remote, at a Silver price point.

Trail Ninja
    Looks like Black's 1080p 24 fps recording mode is only 30,000 kbps bitrate (3.64 MB/s write requirement). I was wrong when I said the GoPro site states 45 MB/s for ProTune, when it's actually 45 Mbps bitrate (5.5 MB/s).

offroader
    Dec 2008
    One thing I have to say about GoPro customer service is they are awesome. I had to return mine for battery issues and they were happy to fix it for me with a new unit. I can't say the same thing about other companies particularly Contour which I've heard first hand that their customer service sucks.

Trail Ninja
    Relatively small update this year for the GoPro, with their Hero 3+.

• All get a slightly more compact and lighter waterproof housing. Silver and White housing is claimed to be 15% smaller and lighter, and the Black housing is claimed to be 20% smaller and lighter.
    • Silver/Black get 30% longer battery life. New battery is 1180 mAh, 3.7 V, 4366 mWh Li-Ion battery compared the older 1050 mAh, 3.7 V, 3885 mWh. Old Hero3 Black was reported to have 1.5 h of battery life recording at 1080-30 (no wireless no ProTune).
    • Silver/Black get a sharper lens. Black's new lens is claimed to be 33% sharper, leading to 2x less artifacts for crisper, clearer images with less distortion. Silver's new lens is claimed to provide sharper images with less distortion, with 3x less artifacts.
    • Silver/Black get new audio hardware. Seems like the sensitivity range was increased by 10db and handles 2x higher volume without distortion.
    • Silver edition looks like it gets a new sensor (claimed to be 2x more powerful), hopefully giving you the quality of Black edition in 720 and 1080 modes, which looks to be the new version to get.
    • Black gets a bunch of other features that I didn't pay much attn to.

Hero 3+ Silver looks to be the one I'd get. Don't really think any other cam really rivals the GoPro really and this update widens the gap.